THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hi @SurreyGirl
Glad you're walking straighter, per hubs.
I'm sure you've heard this...make sure you're using an assistive device until there's no limp.
I hope you have a great week as you move toward one month post op next Sunday. :yay:
 
So some developments.

Did too much walkingvyesterday and overdid it. icing and resting today .

My follow up appt with the Consultant is 2.5 weeks after my official post-6 weeks return to work date on 7th September.

hR contact Occupational Health as want to discussed phased return / working from home until can see the Consultant

hR are supposed to be mailing my home email address as I not supposed to be contacting work

They send acknowledgement of my “fit to work note” to an entirely different address breaching confidentiality.

They then send me the appt date with OAH.
And again do not send it to the correct address.
I hear of the appt through a text message in my from directly from OAH!
And it is in two days time 2.5 weeks before my official return to work date.
This is far too early.
I don’t know if H can get me there at short notice
I am still on morphine and codeine and don’t think I will be capable of rational decisions.

I call OAH and they are nice. They totally agree it is way too early for an assessment and rearrange it to 5th. Two days before I am due to go back.

Ideally I want a p/t or phased return to work working from home at least until I see the Consultant for the official All Clear. I am not sure if this is a reasonable request.

The person covering my work has an enquiry from a Customer about a series of events all requiring my input. The information related to the customer was “oh Mrs X often reads her emails in any case and I expect she will be with you shortly”
This raises my client’s expectations that I will get back to them soonest, putting pressure on me to do so when I can barely read a book let alone sort out a contract.!

Arrrgh! Think I need a nice long Hippies walk in order to calm down.
 
Ideally I want a p/t or phased return to work working from home at least until I see the Consultant for the official All Clear. I am not sure if this is a reasonable request.
Totally reasonable! You should not be working or going for an OH assessment until your consultant releases you to do so. And if you are still on morphine and codeine it will be impossible to work.

Are you in that much pain that you still need the heavy drugs? If so I would get in touch with your surgeon or GP.
 
I have cut down in the morphine and saw the GP the other day. She suggested taking 2 codeine at night instead of one and not having morphine. I am giving this a go. She did prescribe more codeine and a little bottle of morphine.
 
Survived night without morphine and only one codeine. A bit sore this morning but a bit of walking about, shower and icing for one hour helped.

Went to see local Nurse. Final waterproof dressing off. Nurse very impressed at lack of bruising and the quality of the scar, basically a thin fine line with no staple or stitch marks. So the “pressure wound dressing” unique to my Consultant which was such a pain at the time on that the actual pressure applied hurt, and very strict instructions not to get it wet, plus consistent icing from day 1 (which he did not approve of (!) ) has resulted in a long very thin scar that is not bad at all.

Pleasantly surprised. some of the physio stretching exercises are already much easier without the waterproof dressing stretching and itchin. Physio later today back at the Clavadel. Hard to believe I was discharged from there just a week ago. Will probably go for a gentle walk later.
 
So glad all looks well.
Have a nice gentle walk and a really good day!:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks! It is a beautiful sunny day today

My latest bugbear is the NHS over the loo seat. It is large, wobbles, smells of generations of pee and tilts forward making it most unpleasant to sit on. I have twice stubbed my toe on the legs when moving from the shower to the door. It hates me and I hate it.
Whilst I love my shower seat, toe cleaning thingy and loofah strap for my back I can’t wait to get rid of the loo thing. It has to go back to the NHS eventually and I will be giving it a proper send off. The loo upstairs is higher than the downstairs one so will progress to that once the 6 week restrictions are lifted. All the other devices I will continue to use.
 
Good Morning (for me):mcoffee:
dear @SurreyGirl .
Sorry you have to deal with all the bureaucratic mess...it is frustrating.
Coming up on your one month hipversary!:dancy:
Hope your weekend is peaceful and easy.
:SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
Hi everyone.
Nice day yesterday if slightly overdid it so relaxing in bed this morning. Yesdseday went like this.

Morning. Got up, showered , did some basic exercises and walked around garden a few times.
12:15 negotiated “Step of Hell” outside our house. Right knee giving me more grief than Hermione Hip!
Into car (without bandage hoist) and off to the Clavadel Recovery Hotel where I was due to have Physio. Everyone really friendly and I had no problems remembering staff names so progress there.
Met a fellow hippy whose wife sang in the same opera society as me a few years back. He was heading for hydro and me physio. We “raced” each other down the corridor much to the amusement of the staff.

Half an hour physio with Chrissie who is excellent. Mini squats added but nothing drastic. Tried a mini lunge but right knee (in early stages of arthritis) objected so we stopped and Chrissie said “let’s not bother with that one.”
Did stepping up and down from a big step but it would not go as high as the “Step from Hell”
Did stairs and can now do alternative legs with care and with the help of one crutch.

Went back to the bars and showed Chrissie I could now walk about 5 yards unaided. But that the top of the hip hurt when I did it. She said I was doing this too early and to practice form with one crutch and that the next stage would come naturally and not to force it.

We also used a wobble cushion and my balance is already a LOT better than with bad hip. So all good. Then half an hour on my beloved ice machine.

Treated H to a meal at Loch Fyne seafood restaurant which was yummy. No morphine and treated myself to two gorgeous glasses of NZ Sauvignon Blanc. The waiter knew us so was very helpful. One fodgy moment when a muscle pain kicked up without warning and I had to stand up and stretch up to release it.

Home, tidied conservatory with crutch in one hand and hoover hose in the other. 4 weeks accumulation of dead flies. Yuk.

h out at rehearsal and Cousin Paul came to visit. I had Pizza Express American Hot Pizzas with a homemade tomato salad and lemon Possets to follow. Great 3 hour catch up with Paul who helped with the oven and the dishwashers . Went to bed around 110pm and only woke up once. Again no morphine.

Very tired this morning which is not surprising. H cooked me scrambled eggs and bacon, did a fe me exercises and now back in bed and iced up typing this.

Sorry it is so long but this is the start of week 5 and quite optimistic. The weather is helping.

New young neighbkurs have a bbq and kareike evening tomorrow. Will see how that goes but only a short walk across the road if I get tired.

Finally, a medical question
I am in 30g codeine 4 times a day and also paracetamol. Scared of pain coming back but want to start easing off on the codeine so advice please!

Many thanks to all of you for your continuing advice.. xxx

@Layla and @Josephine !
 
Met a fellow hippy whose wife sang in the same opera society as me a few years back. He was heading for hydro and me physio. We “raced” each other down the corridor much to the amusement of the staff.
:heehee:
And an opera singer...how wonderful what we discover about our diverse group of hippys.

You sound splendid.:yes!:
 
Last edited:
My rather lucrative “hobbies” are violin and singing. Working on posture during physio is probably help with the singing too. My lovely neighbour, Sue, was complaining that she had NOT heard me practising recently, bless her!
 
Nice update. Experiencing progress and moving right along.
I hope you have fun at the Karaoke / BBQ
Behave yourself....No drunken karaoke singing with crutches in hand :heehee:
Hope your weekend is lovely!
@SurreyGirl
 
Maybe people could suggest some appropriate songs! Not sure I will stay that long...last year I took my violin and joined the blues group. Out of my comfort zone but hilarious.
I am so lucky that a lot of my friends are musicians/teachers and are therefore on holiday and have made th3 time to come and see me...
 
I am on 30g codeine 4 times a day and also paracetamol. Scared of pain coming back but want to start easing off on the codeine so advice please!
At 3 wees out, there is not need to be fretting about taking codeine! Right now you need the pain meds. I suggest you take 30mg codeine and 2 paracetamol every 6 hours (4 times a day). Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

But if you're going to take codeine, be sure to take something for the old bowels! Codeine's infamous for causing constipation! Constipation and stool softeners
 
Hi Josephine
Thanks for the reassurance. I am taking laxatives and senna and have the balance right there. The GP only gave me enough codeine for one more week and I can’t get an appt until 10 September . Unfortunately it is not on repeat prescription. Absolute pain because I wanted to see a GP prior to my interview with Occupational Health on the 5th.

Other than these frustrations things are going ok. In my case gentle physio is helping in addition to the walking. I am not overdoing it but a gentle 40 minute walk on crutches is 3x more than I managed previously with my very bad hip.
Still some pain in the upper thigh if I push it reminds me to take it easy.
 
Can you ask your GP surgery for a telephone appointment? We can ring in the morning, explain why we need to speak/see someone and then a GP rings back later and decides what action is necessary. I changed my meds post-op after a telephone conversation with the 'duty dr' who agreed and left a prescription for my husband to collect.
 
Back
Top Bottom