Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Once restrictions are lifted “Advanced Physio” will include how to get in and out of a low car! I remain... optimistic

Thick pilllow in a garbage bag on the seat. Easy peasy. I have a very low to ground car.. and this works.

Love your writing and glad you are home. This whole investment isn't easy on us or our caregivers. Hopefully your H will settle in and take care of you both. I keep telling my Hubby- this is only temporary..

Keep on taking care of you... and yes, showers are the best!!
 
It sounds like you are doing really well and. Have your home organised well. Have loved reading your stories. My husband said he didn't realise how much of a carer he had to be. Even now 10 weeks on he gas to moisturise my legs, cut my toe nails and put my she's and socks on. I brought some elastic laces but they snapped. Keep up the progress.
 
Thanks bchbm.... intrigued as surely that does not leave enough room between pillow and steering wheel to wriggle in? Oh well. A Mystery for the future!

Which reminds me.... I gave my H my car keys before I went into hospital with strict instructions to fire up the car at least once a week to save the battery from going flat. He had helpfully said “well there are always jump leads”. I don’t think he quite gets the point....

04:32 Friday ugh! . I wake up and do some tentative ankle slides. They are working. Good. I can wiggle my toes and do circles with my ankles. Also good.

Have a glass of water and a ginger biscuit plus walked around a little and did some stretching. . Leg less puffy now and ankle back to normal. Some groin pain which is annoying as thought that had more or less gone. Maybe I twisted something during my step wobble. Stomach cramp. May have to lay off the senna again.

Seeing a Doctor later this morning re dressing and getting some more medication. When I rang for an appointment I was told by the receptionist I could not see a doctor for two weeks. I pointed out that my meds would have run out by then. I was asked to wait and Suddenly they could fit me in the following day Fellow Hippies take note! The appt is at 19:20 today.

I replace the icepacks, wrap a fresh one in a tea towel and stick it over my foot. Our freezer does not seem to get these as cold as the “Hotel for Hippies” did. Still, they do the job. I fall asleep to “The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole”, part 5. Really enjoying listening to this again. Sue Townsend is a very funny writer. One of the advantages of an enforced layoff is the time I have to read, write what I like and enjoy the process, exercise (!) catch up with old friends, sleep etc. I am not bored yet - which surprises me.

07:30 I wake up. The sun through the conservatory window is hazy and there is a definite nip of Autumnal Air. First out of bed are my toes who immediately object from being ejected from the warm protective air of the double duvet wrapped over a single bed. My calf muscles feel the same way and, by the time I stand up I am shivering all over. I gingerly take a step towards the crutches. Stiff , but everything seems to work. I am Very thirsty. I look at the bedside table for the water glass and the biscuits. We seem to have a ginger nut thief ! Surely I cannot have eaten half a pack in one night! another Mystery.
 
Hi @SurreyGirl,
The gingernut thief definitely isn't me, I hate them. Just had a couple of bourbons though :-)

Its interesting what you are saying about the doctors appointment re dressings and meds. I had my op done privately, no I'm no rich unfortunately but was in such pain that I used money I had been saving for a holiday, anyway when I left the hospital they gave me a card with appointments they had already made on my behalf. 2 district nurse visits to change the dressing and then to take out any stitches that hadn't already dissolved. I was told to ring my doctor if I needed any more meds but fortunately didnt need to do that as they sent me home with loads.

I am assuming that your op was on the NHS? I need to have my other hip done and also one knee. Both of those will be NHS so now I have more of an idea on what to expect. Still, its a way off yet. At least I will be seeing the same consultant on the NHS as I did for my private op.

Sorry, this time I hijacked your thread
 
I'm hijacking it too! I had my op on the NHS, didn't get to see my OS straight after the op as it was lateish on a Friday evening and he'd gone, so I didn't see my X-ray, which they said was fine. I had my 6 week follow up on Monday (at 5 1/2 weeks) and saw a different OS, who answered all my questions very proficiently. He still had the post-op X-ray and didn't want to do another, as I'd expected. I said would I see somebody again after a year, and he said they don't do that any more, but I'd be welcome to ring their office if I needed to speak to somebody and they'd book me into a clinic.

I didn't have any PT after leaving the hospital, as they said I was doing the home exercises fine so, apart from visiting my practice nurse twice to have the dressing changed/removed (no stitches), I haven't seen anybody.

Very low maintenance I am!!
 
Equally low maintenance. Private surgery, one nurse appointment at GP surgery at 12 days for dressing removal and a 5 week check up with OS who discharged me from his clinic. He did visit me immediately after surgery and then the next two days as well. He apparently cycled from the NHS hospital to where I was! I think he was really visiting the lady who had bilateral surgery on the same day.
@SurreyGirl - keep up with the writing which I look out for each time I visit the forum. Thankfully my OH doesn't drink at all so in theory was on call at night. However he is partially deaf in one ear so if asleep on his 'good' ear would not have heard my cry for help from the spare bedroom!
 
On the subject of car seats again I got a simple seat wedge from Sissell locally and it is wonderful. It raises me up and gives a nice hip to knee slope. It was much better than a big cushion.
It is odd how things carefully placed all get moved out of reach. Its like crutches or sticks being taken away from your chair and put on the other side of the room. I got quite good at hooking things with elbow crutches but these darn sticks seem to fall over all the time and defeat all efforts to pick them up except with a pickup stick. You'd think you could cantilever them up with a foot wouldn't you but no.
I wish there was more detailed guidance given on after 6 weeks by consultants and physios. You can search for it on the internet and some hospitals do have leaflets online or look on Bonesmart but as with everything on this journey its all different and you never know what applies to you.

Just adding a bit about follow-up. I don't know what mine is, possibly whatever the consultant thinks is needed at Leeds Nuffield. I had the first appointment at two and a half weeks and the next one will be eight weeks. I got the impression he continued to see people over the longer term. Its going to take me a while to walk unaided without a hobble or limp or to go upstairs on two legs. No doubt I will find out soon.

The other bit. Surgeon saw me in recovery after surgery, then the following morning at 7.00 am. On dressings we were given some to take home and told to change it once then remove it at 7-9 days. No nurse involved. However the surgeon appeared to think he would remove it if it hadn't been done. Although he seemed to approve of it being off earlier.
 
Last edited:
Sounds as though the UK hospitals are pretty much in line with each other on following up? I do feel a bit adrift now, but I suppose I've been told a PT number and I've got my OS secretary's number, so if I was really worried I could contact somebody. I suspect the NHS is trying to cut down on extra appointments/expense maybe.
 
Hi everyone! So glad this blog is proving useful. Just to clarify.
The op was on the NHS
I had to wait 2 years before I was allowed to see the Consultant. During that time I lost 2 stone but my life deteriorated as the bone in bone pain increased.
I saw the Consultant in Novemember 2017 and March 2018 at which point he put me in the official waiting list with a plan to have the op in July so full three years from when I was diagnosed with bone on bone.

After 5 days at the Royal Surrey I went to the Clavadel in Guildford (pre-booked)which is an excellent recovery place. I had saved up the money for a private operation but as no longer needed I extended my stay at the Clavadel instead. I stayed there a fortnight while they mentally and physically put me back together. I cannot praise them enough.

I think my painful experience was unusual. At the Clavadel I met several other patients under the same Consultant including a lovely sprightly lady of 88 years! None of them had had my issues so don’t think it will happen to you.

Moral of the story is check, check, check and Question everything. My fellow patient in an adjacent ward who I met at the Clavadel had a very positive experience.
Writing up the next part of the Blog and All Good News :-))
 
@Apricot I need to look into that as might help posturecstvwork and when playing the violin. Can you send me a link? Thanks x
 
Just got back from the GP, not my own one but very good. husband drove me there. Negotiated the “Step of Hell” from the house with him watching carefully. No issues this time. She asked me to tell her the story about the post op experience and took my blood pressure at the same time and it was sky high. Higher than at the hospital. She said she was not unduly worried but wants to review my hrt medication. She says at 58 I can switch to one that no longer requires a monthly bleed. RESULT, swimming and scuba here I come and no need to be “off games”! I really am going to be a changed woman!

We talk about the morphine and codeine. She can understand my aversion to pain as is horrified by the hospital story but asked me to think about upping the codeine at night and not having the morphine (bye bye lucid dreams?. )

She is happy for me to continue to have the morphine for physio. But again just wants me to be aware.

This is a great GP./‘ she treated me like an adult , took me seriously and sensibly discusses the next stage of self medication. We also discussed briefly the problem with my husband’s drinking which she thinks is contributing to my blood pressure. She wants my GP or her to see me in two months time to review the HRT. She was very happy with the cleanliness of the wound dressing. She says, although early days yet, she would fully support a phased return to work or working from home due to the stop start nature of the drive from where I live to the University. She has seen too many people return early and get set back. She also wants me to have a bit of counselling re the op experience and will put me forward should I wish. This is all very positive. .

It is a lovely windy sunny day. The pharmacist is about 10-15 minutes walk from the Doctors. I say to H that I would like to walk and could he meet me at the pharmacist with the car.

I start walking. There are kerbs to be negotiated and 6 steps outside the coop to the next level. My training from the physio sessions comes back easily. I take small steps heel toe heel toe. A lady I recognise from the now defunct Chinese restaurant stops me to say hello.we have a quick chat. A mother with two young kids pulls them back and smiles so that I have safe passage. A rather over-enthusiastic bouncy dog pulls in his lead outside the butchers. I love dogs usually but give the cheeky chap a wide berth. People stop and ask me if I need help as I am walking so slowly and I smile. I never get to see this side of the small town as usually at work.

As I get near the pharmacist an old man with a walking stick is sitting in the roped off area outside Pizza Express. “hip or knee”? He asks, “3 week old hip I say”. “I had mine done 10 years ago, marvellous what they can do nowadays - would you like to join me in a cup of coffee”?

Awww! Bless! I, with a suitable tone of regret, tell him I am meeting my hubby at the pharmacist. “Shame, your loss” he says with a wink and I burst out laughing. I tell my husband this and he smiles, laughs and says “ I can’t be trusted anywhere not even amongst the physically disabled!” Humph.

Now back home contemplating-tidying my bedroom and checking my ankle. Surprisingly it seemed to have liked the walk and is not too bad. H makes me a cup of very welcome tea and retires next door to work. So far, so very good. Foot up and being iced and tea with my next door neighbour later.
 
Equally low maintenance. Private surgery, one nurse appointment at GP surgery at 12 days for dressing removal and a 5 week check up with OS who discharged me from his clinic. He did visit me immediately after surgery and then the next two days as well. He apparently cycled from the NHS hospital to where I was! I think he was really visiting the lady who had bilateral surgery on the same day.
@SurreyGirl - keep up with the writing which I look out for each time I visit the forum. Thankfully my OH doesn't drink at all so in theory was on call at night. However he is partially deaf in one ear so if asleep on his 'good' ear would not have heard my cry for help from the spare bedroom!
You need to get the mobile phone, out it on vibrate and put it under his bottom. Then ring if you need anything!!
 
Aww, love the part about the other hippie. Too bad you couldn't have chatted over coffee about your recent experiences with surgery and recovery. Those darned husbands always getting in the way :rotfl:

I hope you have a great weekend!
@SurreyGirl
 
@SurreyGirl
Life is made of these little exciting excursions. Its the pushchairs you have to avoid they give no quarter. Hip or knee seems to be a frequent opening gambit.

On wedges. I bought two from the local Sissel UK HQ. Lovely ladies there just up the road from me. One stays in the car. I have another anatomical one which I use on firm chairs.

They carry a variety. Check out the full body compression.:heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
May be useful for sitting on at work, playing the violin etc. Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A good day so far yesterday . The long afternoon tea with my neighbour really perked me up she was none too pleased about the controlling nature of H and particularly annoyed about the car and my worries about the battery . She said I can call on her anytime if I am worried. I am SO LUCKY to have such a great support network.

H and I went out for a curry. Sadly, despite my pleas to stop the car a good foot plus from the sidekerb he didn’t. When he handed me my crutches and I attempted to get out I misjudged the kerb distance and ineckeg wentvin the kerb and the other didn’t. This caused a pull in my left leg and I felt a strong twinge. It throbbed a bit during the meal and I got up and walked outside a bit to strech everything. I had had one large glass out of the bottle. And it was now empty...

Good nights sleep with just one wake session around 2 am. Did some stretching and walking with just one crutch. It felt very natural.

This morning I another “word” with H about drinking. He goes from “helpful and happy” to “grumpy and grizzly” and I can’t get anything right which makes me miserable.

The car thing is such a small small issue as I won’t be able to drive it for a while, yet i would like to think it would start at the turn of a key and roar into life at the first attempt and not have to beg for jump start leads! It is a Mazda MX5 and we have had 13 happy happy years together. The spare set of keys are upstairs hmmm....... maybe not yet..

Today has been very good and did some exercises in the morning. Was going to venture to a supermarket with H but ankle objected to yesterday’s exercise efforts and swelled up like a ballon so back to my sanctuary and now being fed grapes , tea and bananas. Scallops with black pudding tonight cooked by H and catching up with the Archers Omnibus from last week - for our friends across the Pond this is Great British Radio....

Setting my “social diary” for next week gives me something to look forward to and I will also be doing some mild physio at the Hotel for Hippies. One event is a curry out with friends and a short car drive to the local town . The other, my cousin is visiting me at our house for a pizza evening so two American Hot pizzas, dough balls, lemon possets and a bottle of Chianti lie in anticipation in the fridge. I will be having one glass, cousin one glass and the rest in the fridge. My cousin will operate the oven and, if I ask him, may fire my car up and take it for a little drive if I can get those spare keys!! Obsessive, Moi!??
 
Last edited:
:hi:Hi
You're doing well. Slowly but surely you'll get there.
Pizza and Vino with your cousin sounds fun. Curry.....not so much :heehee: sadly, don't have an appreciation.
Glad to hear you slept well last night. Hopefully there will be a repeat performance this evening.
Wishing you a pleasant rest of the weekend!
@SurreyGirl
 
Thanks Layla. Did one basic physio this morning and have just walked down our road to the postbox and back. Two crutches by walking one foot in front of the other and trying to remember to use the crutch with the opposite leg. Harder than it sounds. Using one crutch in the house and walking normally and upright is easier. H says that he hadn’t seen me walk so straight for years!
 
HI @SurreyGirl, congratulations on the straight upright walking! That's a biggie! Until I get evil twin snarling barking right hip done.. I am still in waddle mode and reminding myself how cute it is when the ducks do it.

You were suggested as someone who might be interested in contributing to the below. Thanks!

Posting this message from my page on a few threads to invite everyone to go tell their Tall Tales of hip replacement recovery.
------
I started a thread at the social room, which I guess is kind of like the "parlor" of the BoneSmart Villa.
It's a place for all hippies to recount the Tall Tales from the THR Fairytale Book that you've heard - about everyone's great aunt or stepmother's friend of a friend - who had a miraculously speedy recovery from THR and was scuba diving or competing in mixed martial arts on day 12. We've ALL heard them.

Drop your stories here for posterity!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tall-tales-from-the-thr-fairy-tale-book.49667/
 
Hey SurreyGirl!
Hope today will be a good day.

I was thinking about you when I remembered a hilarious you tube video
Entitled....
It's Not About The Nail

I don't have time to look up link but look it up.
Only women will get it, but FUNNY!
 
Back
Top Bottom