• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
pain all along incision the last several days. Really hurts when I wake up, but also putting on clothes, any contact really.
My incision was very tender for a lonnnnng while...well into 3+ months! It drove me crazy even with seams of soft underwear from day 1. I ended up getting some stretchy 'boy style' panties off Amazon in addition to my old very high leg ones. I lived in loose shorts and stretchy legging things all summer. Stiff jean seams were unthinkable! :shocked: It finally subsided but I still don't like undue pressure on my scar, like when lying on a hard surface. Part of it is I've got a divot where there should be more glute muscles, need to get those stronger. I even take a sheepskin pelt to my Pilates sessions to add onto the mat if I have to lay on op side for very long. Just part of the recovery long game. :bored:

Laskyd

Country
United States United States
Thank you for the updates!! I heard that nerves become painful when they start to recover. Glad they found no infection. Good idea to go in Monday to be on the safe side. Rainy rainy weekend!!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
HI Sarah!! :wave: That's a bummer about the soreness in and around your incision. You know, I am at 7 months now and I still have stretches of time where my incision hurts more and zip and zaps me.
You mentioned walking a good bit so I am guessing it's inflammation from the activity that is affecting things in and around your internal sutures.
I hope the compression yoga pants helped.
If it persists, I know you will be a good sport and go see the PA, right? Have a great weekend! :dancy:

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
Hello.jpeg Sweet Sarah. xx

Sorry to read you are going through some uneasy issues but and perhaps you have been doing things a little too strenuously and hopefully it is all normal healing. Sometimes we just have to get on the slow train ...
bad days will pass.jpeg

In the meantime I hope you keep warm, stay indoors for safety reasons and try to relax. I am sure your wonderful family will still help ... although we don't like to, we sometimes have to let them know how we feel. I did with Hubby this morning as I was feeling a little down due to my slow progress ... but he kindly reminded me it is still progress no matter how minor.

Any old how, sending you big hugs and kisses for a peaceful weekend.
Feel Better.gif Izzy xx

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Hello All,

Bruising is getting lighter, so I think whatever caused it is improving. Glad to hear I’m not the only one who has experienced later painful incision. @Calgal and @CricketHip I will of course go in if I think there is any chance it’s infected. Was in 1 week ago. I did start massaging with Vitamin E oil at OS suggestion so that may have awakened nerves there too. Great idea to get some sheepskin @Calgal I am going to order a yard. probably would help in car too.

You both made me laugh @Bfam85 and @FCBayern Seeing the humor in all this is perhaps the most helpful thing to do. My hubby gets me to laugh every day. Seriously would be lost without him. :heehee:

Thank you @Izabel I am sorry you have been blue. You are making progress!! Love how encouraging your husband is. Thought of you yesterday as I went to Rec Center to ride a stationary bike. I rode for two sets of ten minutes. I know you pedal every day. :biking: They have an indoor track so I walked a mile. Taking breaks on a bench. Lots of smiles from patrons giving me a thumbs up. Don’t think they see many people on the track with a cane. My hand is sore today, so it will be a quiet home day. Wish I had a stationary bike here. Really helped lubricate my hip. Tried to get on elliptical machine (OS approved) with physical trainer assistance. We both quickly decided it was too much. Humbling but as you mentioned we need to focus on progress.

Happy Weekend All. Healing wishes to all.

Grammy57

Country
Had hubby give it a good look in sunlight. Talk about humbling. :heehee:
I can relate! After the surgery when I had to get in and out of the shower and have my back washed, etc., etc., all pride went out the door! Oddly, I think our men don't mind it :rotfl:
When I had my arthroscope I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. My husband had to literally lift me in and out of the bath. Yes, very humbling. He was so thankful with the THR that I could stand on my own making his life a lot easier.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Glad to hear it’s already easing up!
Are you getting the same dreary rain as us?
Its looking like a lazy day at home, here too.
Your poor hand, I can so relate to that and yours has been working overtime for too long.
Maybe a nice epsom salt soak for it, too?

Have a nice day and enjoy the quietness. Oh! Have you seen the bike pedal contraption that is able to fit under your desk on wherever? Its small and I think inexpensive.
Mini exercise bike. Or Desk bike, I think they’re called.

FCBayern

senior
Country
Wish I had a stationary bike here. Really helped lubricate my hip.
@Fit4Family after my TKR I looked on Craig's List and found someone selling a recumbent stationary bike for $50. I have found it well worth the small investment, I wasn't willing to buy one new because I know myself well enough to know that I won't use after I feel I'm fully rehabed. At that point I'll probably sell it myself rather than let it become a clothes hanger. :loll:

leejaa

supremo
Country
Have you considered hiking poles when walking on track. I find them much easier on the hands and you also get arm exercise. Mine came with different tips rubber or pointy depending on where you are walking and the weather. I have OA in my thumb joints so excessive cane use really flares it up. I bought my poles on Amazon for about $20 a few years ago and never bought a more expensive pair since I found them to do what I needed (some are quite pricey). They also help me to walk straighter so I don't irritate my back and the rest of my body.

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
Good Morning Friend.jpeg Sarah. I hope you had a restful sleep.

It is a bright morning here so I shall have my garden walk when I finish this.

I find the cycling gets my muscles moving even if I just do 15 minutes. I have started backward cycling as I discovered it uses three different quad areas so go between forward and backward. My poor muscles need as much help as they can get after years of neglect (many before my accident). You may find this article of interest.

I bought my static about five years ago when a grocery store was having a fitness special. Got it for around 60 Euros and it has the computer counter. I go between it and the chair pedaler depending on my mood and they are cheap as chips so maybe consider one of those.

Wishing you a peaceful day whatever you do.
Domingo flowera.jpeg Izzy xx

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Thank you for sharing @Grammy57 Our loved ones sure do go through a lot. I am happy to know you are doing better each day. Freedom of movement is the goal.

Yes @CricketHip we have had lots of rain. Today is sunny and birds are chirping. :SUNsmile: Such a mild winter. I have not heard of the desk bike. Sounds great. Will see if I can find one. Had not thought of soaking my hand. Another great idea. It’s actually bruised and cracked at Palm. My weeks before surgery were rough on it. I am also relieved that you used your cane until 8 weeks. Doesn’t seem like it’s going for me any time soon, which is why I need to pedal. Happy Sunday!

Great reminder @leejaa I do have trekking poles. Use them outside on steep trails. Had not thought of using them on track but that might work. My poor hand is kinda done. Hope all is well with you!

Glad to know you found a good deal on Craig’s List @FCBayern I will look. Like you, I know once I progress it would collect dust. The Rec center is nice and very reasonable. I just bought a month pass as I’m hoping I will be walking in 30 to 60 days. If weather stays mild. Outdoors is always my preference too. Hope work went well.

Had forgotten about back pedaling @Izabel I have been walking backwards in our kitchen. Know it’s great for leg muscles. Happy Sunday.

Hope I didn’t forget anyone. Thank you for all your information and encouragement! The sun is out. Walking will be nice today.

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Morning All,

Just passed one month mark and thought I’d give an update. Things to remember. Revision was for loose stem, so my cup and liner stayed in place. No recoveries are the same. ❤

• Started driving at 4 weeks. So far just to Rec center. Easier to get in on driver side as it is my left hip.
  • Began cycling on stationary bike 4 days a week, no resistance. Also walking on treadmill for as long as I can with good form.
  • Began concentrating on stretching: calves, hamstrings, achillies.
  • Walking fairly well with cane. Mostly for balance. Trying to just do touches, rather than put any weight on it.
  • Still have 90 degree restrictions, so fairly limited on any other exercise
Have not done any PT. May go if I need to understand specific weakness down the road. It’s all out of pocket this year, so I’d rather spend money on Pilates or something else at 3 months.

Wishing all a speedy recovery. Caught the flu, so taking it easy at present and grabbing sleep when I can.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Happy one month anniversary! :yay: Wishing many more happy hip anniversaries. Your hip activity sounds like you are feeling very stable.

You have a great gentle exercise plan. Thank you for sharing. I hope that flu will leave you quickly. So sorry you caught it :sad:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
thienthuy21403
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom