Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

Thank you all! I’m not too nervous this morning! Maybe it’s too early to be nervous. [emoji42][emoji42][emoji42] I’ll check in when I can. Thanks for everything.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Best wishes for today.

Here's your post-op reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I’ve made it safely to the other side. My surgeon said it went well and he had to remove a lot of scar tissue. [emoji51] I haven’t gotten to see it yet. It’s all bandaged up and I Get to remove it on the 3rd day to shower. Overall it feels pretty good. Of course it’s swollen, but it doesn’t have that log feeling. I’m walking short distances with a walker assisted by a technician. Can’t wait to get home to my “nest”!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
So happy to hear from you!! I hope the time goes fast until you are home in your nest! :console2:
 
It over with! Hopefully, you can come home tomorrow. That's the best place for you as long as you have your pain meds worked out.
 
Congrats! Now on to the next phase of your life......home and healing instead of home and deteriorating. Good luck in your recovery and keep us updated on your progress.
 
Hi @Hood1980, just thinking about you. Hope all I’d going well for you during your first week? Hope you have made it home. :flwrysmile:
 
Yes @Desertgal I made it home yesterday and I posted while still in the hospital but I’m not seeing it now. All is going well so far....suffering from extreme exhaustion. Zzzzzz


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
So happy to hear from you! :console2:
 
Happy to hear that you’re home and recovering. Sleep is your friend in these early days.
 
I’ve been wanting to post, but have not felt up to it. At first it was nothing but Sleep and now no Sleep and along with the pain meds, my mind can’t concentrate well at all, making it difficult to read, matter less write. So much worse this time or perhaps just more conscious of it.

The surgery went well as far as I could tell. I’ll get more details at my first post op appointment. What I was most fascinated with this time is that I was “awake” for at least part of the surgery. I was talking to the anesthesiologist and he would answer my questions. It was fascinating in my drug induced state and not frightening at all. I was awake when I was brought in the OR and draped and scrubbed with the iodine solution. There easily was 7 people in there 3-4 in “space suits”. I could feel the epidural take effect first, but could fight off the profonol (sp?) and hear what was going on until I finally succumbed to the heavy sleep. I awoke again to talk to the anesthesiologist and listen to more sounds for a few minutes before napping for the closure.

I remember the surgeon telling me it all went well. The type of joint I had was more difficult to remove than most, but not a problem to get out. I did have a lot of scar tissue. [emoji22][emoji51]
 
Wow, you were awake! Not sure I want that. You are on your recovery-road. Just take 1 day at a time. No matter what, it is great to hear from you. :dancy:
 
I would have been so afraid to have been awake during my tkr, I'm sure! You are one strong lady!
 
I’m sure the anesthesia medication has some kind of calming effect that prevents you from panicking and being scared, because I was sure I would be scared, but I wasn’t. I was more the scientist asking questions, wanting to know what was going on.....or it was all in my mind and was a “dream”? It seemed real to me.

This surgeon used my existing scar, but longer. He also used the internal sutures and glue technique. I was wondering how this kind of closure heals? Previously I had internal sutures and staples. It looked awful but healed very nicely and smoothly. My new incision looks rather bumpy and gnarly. I’m hoping the new incision heals nicely too.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom