Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

otherwise it swings out like before, causing hip and leg pain and a lot of unsteadiness. I
I know exactly what you are saying, because that’s exactly the way mine is. I hope and pray that you will get better.
 
Thank you got the prayers @jboles!
I don’t know if you are familiar with my story, but this is a revision of my TKR done on 12/27/17 that ended up being 10* valgus and I was unable to walk comfortably matter less get my active lifestyle back! At this point, I just want to be able to walk! Are you looking for a revision surgeon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Hello @Hood1980, don’t get discouraged! I know the healing process is slow, but remember some of your muscles and ligaments have not been used for awhile. It is going to take time. You can get to 90 fextion. Celebrate that! I am at 73 and I am over the moon happy about it; considering where I started. I have to really concentrate to do the heal/toe thing but at some point it will become more natural. I am just taking one day at a time.
 
@Hood1980 I am not an expert by any means but I have had two knee replacements in 8 months.My second one was a month ago on Monday.

After my first TKR I tried really hard to walk " normally" but I had a feeling my other leg was holding me back.

I always thought my right leg was much worse but it turns out my left leg was in far worse shape and needed much more work than my right.

I don't want to blather on too long about myself so I was going to ask how your other leg is doing?

I can already walk normally without a cane if I concentrate.I am way more sturdy and steady on my feet since having my second TKR.

I am sorry you are struggling and I hope things start to change for the better soon.:console2:

Please feel free to ask me anything.:) :-) (:
 
Last edited:
@Hood1980 I just read your entire thread. Do you really believe your new knee is valgus? Have you taken a photo for someone on here to look at? Or mentioned this to your surgeon? I thought mine was straighter right after surgery than it is now, is that even a possibility? I don’t know. I hope and pray that yours isn’t misaligned after your revision.
 
@Nigella2. Thank you for the kind words and I plan to read your story. It seems we have some similarities. My right knee (non operated on knee) had always been the worse of the two to the point where I always favored it and the left one took the big hit in the gym and couldn’t be rehabbed and ended with the LTKR.

I could always walk and even jogged before this injury, I really don’t understand why I can’t walk. I got my hope up when 2 weeks after surgery the revised knee felt like it could move and I moved from the walker to the cane, but there have been no improvement since. Not sure what the issue is but it’s so frustrating and depressing.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @jboles! My new revised knee is valgus and does seem to be getting more so, but not as bad as after the primary TKR. I go back to the surgeon later this week. I hope he has some answers, because the thought of this being a permanent disability makes me want to give up. [emoji22]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980 oh my, my heart goes out to you. Before my surgery I went for my preop PT visit and even though both of my knees were valgus, I walked in unassisted, I made the comment that I walked in unaided and that wouldn’t be doing that when I returned. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I might never be able to walk without a cane.

The reason we have this surgery is to regain our mobility not to have it taken away.
 
I think it has been easier for me re:expectations after surgery.Before my first TKR I had got to the point where I couldn't stand in one spot and could barely walk to the car.It really couldn't have gotten worse.

And unlike other members surgeons mine did not sugar coat anything and told me several times that a good outcome isn't always achieved even being somewhat young and healthy going in.He explained all the possible negative outcomes to me.

And I have been lucky so far but it is still too early to tell on my second TKR as it has been pretty swollen and painful but the flexion is really good considering.

@jboles .I was just reading that you now have some surgeons names who hopefully can help you out.:) :-) (::fingersx:

@Hood1980 I hope you get a good reason and explanation from the surgeon next week and hopefully things will straighten out with some more time.:angel:

:console2: To both of you.
 
My leg is still valgus but albeit not as much.
How about posting me a picture of it? I need one showing both legs from the waist down including the feet (bare feet) and preferably with short shorts like this so I can easily see the spots as indicated and against a plain white wall (or similar)

[Bonesmart.org] Hood1980’s Revision


I haven’t been to PT since the 2 week mark.
I'm very pleased to hear that!
I do 10 minutes on my recumbent exercise bike every other day
And that! Just about right.
 
I sure hope y’all are right and it’s still early in the healing process, but I feel I should be further along. I meet with my OS on Thursday and am looking forward to what he has to say. [emoji848]

I see Josephine will be away this week so that will give me some time to post a picture for her. It is not as valgus as before but it is still somewhat valgus. There is no way I’m doing this again on this knee! I sure wish these surgeons could be honest with us patients up front.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You had 2 major surgeries on the same knee in not quite 7 months. That is a tremendous amount of trauma to that knee. It might take more time for your knee to recover now than if was a first recovery.

Even with a first recovery, some of us are still healing big time at 7 months post op. And that’s when you had a revision, re-upsetting a struggling knee.

I know it seems like forever since your first surgery, and injury before that, and recovery looms long ahead of you.

I also know how easy it is to fear something is wrong, especially when something has already gone wrong, and especially when we don’t see the progress we expect.

:console2::console2:

If it was me, and I would ask for a full leg X-ray, for peace of mind. I don’t know if a surgeon would do one, just to accommodate me, but I’d ask.
 
Awesome news from my 7 week follow up appointment with my surgeon today! I’m doing great. My quads are weak, making walking difficult along with my lack of confidence. He told me to Strengthen my quads by walking, recumbent cycling, quad sets and straight leg raises. As my quads get stronger I’ll be able to straighten my leg to 0* using my muscles and will make walking easier and I’ll gain more confidence in my new knee.

He did ask if I went to PT and I said no, that I had good range of motion and was getting on with my life. He asked me to walk and diagnosed me with weak quads and suggested the above exercises, but otherwise was not phased by me not going to PT.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
That is so great!!! Your quads will strengthen with time and healing. Once you have a lot more healing done you can to some other things to help them along if you want to, but don’t rush it.

I may have to check out your surgeon some time.
 
Fabulous news!! What a great report! Now, take a deep breath and start walking. Sounds like you have a perfect plan that is working. :dancy:
 
I’ve been walking more trying to build up my quad strength. I’ve re-started my aqua therapy and reconditioning class yesterday. Love the pool! Giving up the cane as much as I reasonably can. I’m able to do a few steps “normally” albeit with a firm grip on the handrails! ROM seems to be stuck on 95-100* (my eyeball calculation). Still mainly 0* extension. Slow but steady.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
ROM sounds great.

Don’t give up the cane too early. I still used it all the time when I was out until 3-4 months. I like how Celle has often said, there are no prizes for giving it up early, and this is early for most of us.

I’m glad you are enjoying the pool. I think I’m the only one on Bonesmart who didn’t!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom