Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

@jboles my original surgeon showed me on my X-ray at my last visit that my tibia cut was off by 5* and that it would require a revision and complete replacement since he gave me a cruciate retaining joint. The OS I’m using for the revision agreed with that and added that the knee cap is maltracking and the soft tissues aren’t balanced, which is hard to do with CR joints.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I thought I’d ask the question here too (it got skipped over in the quad question thread). Does anyone know if they still “snip” your quad when you have a revision TKR to gain better access to your joint to extract the prosthesis and if they do, is recovery or long term outcome different? Does anyone know of a link or a presentation detailing a revision TKR?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Ooh it sounds awful but I suppose it's all pretty gruesome. Hope you can find some help.
 
My understanding is they just move it over. Josephine will let you know for sure.
 
My surgeons never cut my quad muscle. If they ever did that, it must have been early on in knee replacement. They just moved it aside some to get to the spot they needed to. I feel that I recovered a little better and not as painful after my revision, than the other two surgeries. If they actually cut muscles, it would be a much longer recovery. It's long enough!
 
That’s great to hear @kayow11. Received my surgeon’s packet in the mail today. I’m going to pass on the pre-op education class, even though it is a different hospital than my original TKR, but so difficult and long to get to, I’ll look at the online power point instead. Hope you are doing well. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Sorry - been AWOL!

with CR joints
Please, what does this mean?
Does anyone know if they still “snip” your quad when you have a revision, if they do, is recovery or long term outcome different?
Sensible surgeons won't do it because it does indeed interfere with recovery in that it takes a lot longer to get back the functionality in doing leg lifts. If, perchance, your surgeon is in the habit of doing a quads cut, the a) you should know about that, b) he should tell you anyway and c) you have the right to tell him you don't want that procedure done CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used.
Does anyone know of a link or a presentation detailing a revision TKR?
Yes, here Quads cut - why and when do they cut the quads tendon/muscle
 
What's going on here?! 'Here I go again' is my thread but suddenly it's turned into "Hood1980’s Revision". I'm confused.
I’m sorry I didn’t realize someone already had the “Here I go again” title.
According to the record, I changed it because previously you had a very vague title - something like 'Newbie'. That's why I usually change it. It's not a case of not being allowed to have a pre-existing title, more like not having a title that applies to you.
 
Thanks for the info @Josephine. I hope you enjoyed your time away. CR joint was my abbreviation for a cruciate retaining joint. I remember you telling me early on that these types of joints do not have a more favorable outcome like my original surgeon was touting and actually made balancing the soft tissues more difficult, according to my current surgeon. Along with a tibia cut off by a 5* angle has me getting a revision on September 5th.

My current surgeon did not say one way or the other about snipping the quad. I just read about it in my revision TKR research and was concerned that it would make recovery more difficult. I will add it to my list of questions to ask my surgeon at my pre-op on Tuesday and make it known I do not want my quads cut!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Jolly good!
CR joint was my abbreviation for a cruciate retaining joint.
Ah well that explains why I didn't understand it. Because professionally, we tend to refer to this device as cruciate preserving! What's in a word, eh? :wink:
I remember you telling me early on that these types of joints do not have a more favorable outcome like my original surgeon was touting
Not wishing to dispute but I think I would have said that it doesn't have a better outcome than the cruciate sacrificing knee.
 
@Josephine I wondered what had happened because my thread was called 'Here I go again'. @Jockette helpfully sorted it out and explained what had happened.
 
@Josephine I’m just hoping for a better outcome this time...semantics aside! I worry that my knee can’t be fixed. Have you ever seen a knee that needed a revision like mine, that was cut wrong and not balanced in the primary surgery that was fixed with a revision?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Several times, my dear but what the outcomes were is lost in the mists of time!
 
Thanks @Jockette. You know me, I’m still doubting that this revision is going to fix my knee, even more so now. [emoji22]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m sure it’s very hard not to doubt. We will think positively for you. Kayow’s leg came out well with her revision. Think about her good outcome.

We are all rooting for you! :console2:
 
I talked to my surgeon’s nurse practitioner today and I feel much more confident going into my revision surgery on September 5th. She answered all my questions and assured me that my doctor does revisions like mine specifically with good outcomes. Tomorrow is my pre-op with anesthesiology, tour, medical history, etc. it’s getting close.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom