Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

My OS gave me a prescription for PT, but I never went. I never told him and he never asked. He was always happy with my progress.
 
I like the way you think @sistersinhim! I have my first post op appointment later today and I was going to have the PT on my own discussion with the nurse practitioner, but maybe I will take your approach. I’m sure according to their standards I’m doing well. I can get from 0 to 90+ on my own, so why go to formal PT?!! Just keep doing my ADLs and adding more activity as my knee permits.

My biggest complaints are lack of sleep/fatigue and knee sensitivity/tingling/numbness. I am doing so much better this time. Pain has been manageable. I have moderate swelling and stiffness, but that’s to be expected 2 1/2 weeks post op.

Thank you all for your continued support. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
I can get from 0 to 90+ on my own, so why go to formal PT?!! Just keep doing my ADLs and adding more activity as my knee permits.
You are doing remarkably well for 2 1/2 weeks. I agree that you have no reason to go to formal PT. You know what to do. You have already proven that!
 
Today marks my 4 week post surgery date. The first 2 1/2 weeks seemed liked it was going to be smooth sailing but the last week and and half I haven’t seen and progress and have taken some steps backwards. My recovery is definitely not going linearly but more on that squiggly path!

The past few days I’ve been feeling that clunking within the new joint and it is NOT painless! It’s causing me to have greater difficulty walking and some hip pain. I thought after my good start I’d be at the point at 4 weeks where I’d be tapering off the pain meds. I’m still taking 1000 mg Tylenol four times per day along with Dilaudid or Tammadol.

I haven’t done any exercises just my daily living consisting of self care, light housework, and small meal prep. Does anyone know what exercises I should be doing at 4 weeks? I read on another thread that you should rest it and treat it as a broken leg for 8 weeks. Does that mean just ice and elevate with ankle pumps and gentle stretches? I’m trying to do this rehab the right way, but I’m needing some more specifics for what to do at what point in recovery???


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Hood1980, my pt yesterday gave me 8 “exercises” to do. They are really gentle stretching exercises to get my calf, hamstring, and quads loose again. They are quite easy and don’t seem like an exercises at all. Would that help you in this early stage?
 
Thank you @Desertgal. That is what I am looking for. Would you mind sharing them with me?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980 calf stretch -while seated use a towel around your foot and gently pull back until a stretch is felt. Hold for 30 seconds. Hamstring stretch-while lying down on your back, hook a towel under your foot and draw up your leg until a stretch is felt. Long arc quad-while seated, with your knee in a bent position, slowley straighten your knee as you raise your foot upwards.

Hope these help? I did them yesterday and they felt good and I feel real good today, the day after. As you know, some of my muscles have not moved for over 11 months so I have to be very gentle and slow in awakening them now. These seem to be a good start for me.
 
I will definitely give these a try! Thank you for sharing @Desertgal.
I read your description of a “peg leg” prior to surgery. Mine was not that bad, but I did not have a good ROM prior to surgery to the point where one of my the PTs in the hospital used that as an excuse to try to push early aggressive PT on me. Thank goodness for my participation on Bonesmart and knowing better or I could have done myself more harm.

I’m trying to heal this new knee the right way. I so want to return back to an active lifestyle, where I can be like @SusieShoes and walk my way back to better health! I so miss walking especially this time of year! Fall is so beautiful!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m probably making a mistake but just can’t help myself! I’m taking a road trip at 5 1/2 weeks post op from a revision TKR. My son is moving from GA to NC, which is only 4 1/2 hours from us vs 12. I haven’t seen him since Mother’s Day and miss him so terribly! My DH is meeting him in NC to help with the move in. I was trying to stay put at home on my own couch, but my mother instincts have won out and I’ll be heading down to NC with my husband later this morning when we have a better idea how the road situation is with this latest hurricane to hit NC.

I’m setting up the backseat as my comfy couch with blankets, pillows, and a cooler with my ice packs. My son will have his couch ready to go for me. I just have to resist the temptation to help out too much, but figure the emotional boost of seeing him will be the greatest benefit to my recovery. [emoji4]

I pray that all goes well!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Oh, @Hood1980 I know you want to see your son but it’s so early to do this. I will be praying!
 
Only you can weigh the pros and cons. Soak in some of that “Mama Love” for the long road back!
 
@Hood1980 - Do make sure that you schedule time to rest while you're visiting your son. It will be so easy to overdo things if you aren't careful.

I did a 4-hour road trip at 4 weeks post-op, because it would be my only chance to see my daughter-in-law and new baby granddaughter before they flew back to the UK.

The car journey took us nearly 7 hours, with stops so I could get out and walk around, as I got so stiff in the car. I elevated my leg as much as I could and I used ice packs.

At the motel, I stayed in bed until after breakfast, then visited for a couple of hours before going back to bed, to rest for the afternoon. I visited again in the evening, before going back to bed for the night.

It was all worth the effort, but I was exhausted by the end of our visit.
 
Thank you all very much! Great advice! Lots of rest and Mama love! I got this!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The trip to NC last weekend was just what I needed mentally. It sure gave me a boost to see my son. I was no worse for wear this week after I got over the Initial fatigue, but I am getting concerned that I am not getting any better.

I am getting disappointed that I am not going to be any better off with this revision than I was before. My leg is still valgus but albeit not as much. I still can’t walk. I struggle with a cane. I haven’t been to PT since the 2 week mark. I do 10 minutes on my recumbent exercise bike every other day. I walk as much as I can, but it’s very difficult. What’s wrong this time??? ‍♀️


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

Do you think it’s “just” swelling that makes it appear to still be valgus? I hope that’s what it is. :console2:
 
I don’t think that’s it @Jockette. I am slightly to moderately swollen, but my ability to walk is just like before the revision. It takes great concentration for me to go heel to toe. I have to lift my knee up towards my chest to walk heel to toe, otherwise it swings out like before, causing hip and leg pain and a lot of unsteadiness. I go see my surgeon next week. I was just hoping things would be different this time.

On the positive side I am off all pain medication and am just using my essential oils!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
:console2: Hugs and prayers that it’s just early days and that things will improve.
 
I agree with Jockette, that hopefully it's the early days causing your problem.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom