Guest viewing is limited

Home Alone After Surgery

Hello Maria Le,
Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us!
You will likely have a better chance of receiving feedback if you start a pre-op thread in the knee area and use the title Stair Lift Chairs....or something similar. The thread will be a place for you to pose other questions / concerns and afford us an opportunity to leave some pre-op reading for you. Please consider it!
Starting a new thread and posting
@Maria Le
 
Hi Layla.
Since I am a newbie, I have no experience in this, so I will do as you instructed. Thank you very much.
.
 
That’s okay no worries.
Would you like us to start a thread for you?
@Maria Le
 
I just saw this thread... I had left TKR on Sept 28 at an outpatient facility and was home alone after that. My GF has an elderly dog that needed her attention more than I did and he was too infirm to move to my place, so she dropped me off afterwards and that was that. Surgery was late, like 3:00 PM and I was home in my recliner by 7:30 or so.

I had prepped my place by clearing obstacles on the main floor, laying in food supplies, and draping a cord over the bathroom door for me to pull my self up from the potty when needed. I could walk around the house with a cane but used one of those 4 wheel walkers with a shelf to carry my ice machine to the kitchen for refills. That worked like a champ. It was also good for getting up at night for bathroom runs and for brief walks around the main floor in the wee hours.

I live in a 3 level town home and was able to do the stairs good leg up, bad leg down the day after my op no problem. So it was all good for me. Preop fitness and balance are important, so if a patient is lacking much of that you might not want to be home alone. Also, getting an early wellness check is important. In my case home PT started the day after the op. That visit was mostly just a wellness check... except he had me do some of the dreaded heel slides and other basic movements, maybe 10 minutes in all.

The other suggestion I would make is to install one of those toilet seat bidets in the recovery area bathroom. Makes life much easier and more sanitary, especially until you get some ROM back in the operated leg.
 
Last edited:
My surgery is coming up soon. I'm trying to pick my books and movies and prepare for life with one leg. THanks for posting this!
 
THANK YOU ARMY RANGER TRAINING! I kept my CamelBak across my knee filled with ice & just a bit of water for a slow melt time. Kept the hose along my side for easy sips. Saved my life when I had MRSA twice in 2001. I lost 17lb in 2 days. All bad. Also learned from that to not wear clothes, keep waterproof pad on bed. Obviously I live alone, with my service dog. Will have no help when I come home which will be as soon as I can feel my toes from the epidural, get out of recovery bed & walk the hall (outpatient). Dog needs to go out at least 4X a day. My optical course? 15 steps both ways, (my Mount Everest) & picking up her poo. Starting with coming home. (apt manager rules regardless of surgery. nice.) plants on balcony in memory of my youngest daughter to water so I get myself out. Have small file cabinet next to bed for meds, small snacks, bottled vitawater, charger stays plugged in, have fan raised on box so it hits my face, Bluetooth phone amplifier to listen to music on phone, helps when my retired ARMY DS does his daily calls to push me to KEEP MOVING!, have library account on phone for when brain can read, (couldn't focus on a single word when I came home after triple bypass) child's step stool for a boost up on/off my high bed. Service pup is my pain management & PT partner. Have protein & collagen powders next to blender that chips ice if I can only handle a shake. Not planning on forcing frozen meals, but they are here. I remember the bypass... lightly salted crackers for nausea, animal crackers for smiles, G-ade for electrolytes & dehydration. Keep small cabinet in bathroom stocked with tp, bb wipes, & incontinence pads (just in case walker doesn't go fast enough). Shower chair, have bar on wall beside shower, but looped half inch diameter cord thru it to pull forwards from my well deserved throne. Have walker, crutches, cane & desk pedaler that goes forwards/backwards. One mode moves my feet, but I can also press it myself.
Taped GOALS & a colored note above bed that tells me...It's okay to cry.
Goals?
•Get off pain med fast as I have reactions to all pain meds even with Benadryl & I'm not particularly fond of constipation
•Mount Everest 4X a day, really 8X counting return climb (the Sherpas are my inspiration)
•Shower every nite NO MATTER HOW I TRY TO GIVE EXCUSES NOT TO
•Daily liquid target 1.5 liters
•lose more body insulation
•Ultimate Goal? Take my 10 yr old pup for a walk next to the tarmac perimeter fence on Base every day to say Thank you for sticking by me

I'm as set as I can be for June 3rd. Did I miss anything my friends? THANK ALL OF YOU for the ideas, encouragement & just hearing your voices
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Home Alone After Surgery
    20240514_190550.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 178
I'm as set as I can be for June 3rd.
Hi and Welcome! Just to confirm, this is a TKR, correct? Which knee? We’ll make a signature for you with this information.

Best Wishes!
 
RAYLO, or anyone with stairs, when were you able to bend your knee going down & up? I have 15 to get to apt. Service dog goes out 4X a day. I practice the good up bad down going both ways, but was wondering when you first tried bending it? Thats my stressed. I'll try it going up first of course, it's the first time bending it going down that has me a bit tense. Thank you for ideas
 
anyone with stairs, when were you able to bend your knee going down & up? I have 15 to get to apt.
I was able to do stairs (up with the good, down with the bad) the same day I came home from the hospital. However, I could not "bend" my down to go up stairs reciprocally until about 6-7 weeks post-op -- and it was much longer than that for descending.

Service dog goes out 4X a day.
Will your dog take care of business without you holding the leash? You will need BOTH hands to do stairs -- one for the cane and one for the railing. Even once you start to climb reciprocally, you will need to hang on to that railing for balance and safety.
 
She's trained to stay at the top while Iake my way down, then come by me. I have different lengths of leads. Going up she'll go first then wait for me. My hand never lets go of the railing even now. If I try it I feel like I'm floating backwards. How long before you balance came back? I'll have to carry a long handled scooper to rake her droppings into the bag liner. The manager will serve a three day to vacate if I don't. It will be a juggle carrying three things down while holding the railing, then using the cane to walk. My dog would walk by me off lead, but there's a rule. Besides, some people drive fast. No choice is why we'll figure it out. Why I prefer to have her by me than most people. Thank you for suggestions. How are you doing?
 
That's quite a long time for bending your knee. I can understand about doing it going down steps. I'm not rushing. Thank you
 
The manager will serve a three day to vacate if I don't. It will be a juggle carrying three things down while holding the railing, then using the cane to walk. My dog would walk by me off lead, but there's a rule.
I see you live in an apartment complex of some sort with a manager. Have you lived there long? do you know any of the other tenants?
You sound like a very independent person (like me!) and I totally get it if you don't want to ask for help- but for this one time, you might want to consider doing just that.
you've got your dog depending on you, so if anything happens to you- if you, heaven forbid, fall and end up in a rehab to recover, what will happen to your dog?

as hard as it may be for you, you might want to ask someone to help by scooping the dog's poop at the very least! that way you don't need to try to manage the pooper scooper as well as your walking aid and your dog.

I am so glad you've got this dog to keep you company and to rely on. Animals are such a blessing, aren't they?

I hope that things are going well for you.
 
@CanDoWillDo
Can the dog be trained to carry the scoop handle in his mouth like a stick?
 
I didnt have any need for someone here all the time…but what I craved was to be able to say- Oh, could you bring me a cup of coffee (or..whatever). Or, after finally getting myself organized and climbing into bed….realizing I didn't have the phone at hand (yeah, I tried to carry it with me like a 3d hand. Still…) Or, maybe I forgot to fill my drinking water. Always seemed like there was something and I'd have to climb back out of my nest and Do. For. Myself. It wore on me.
this will be me!
i am in a new apartment and still haven't figured the best set up that works for me.
I know I'll need to move the microwave, but the kitchen area is quite small (it's part of a big room that is supposed to be kitchen/dining room/living room)

I will be alone from day one (shhh, the orders are to have someone stay with you overnight- well I don't have anyone who can do that, nor the space for another person)

I am very nervous about falling. I have been quite clumsy as my right knee continues to collapse inward (valgus- the arthritis is on the outer side primarily)
The carpet here is very low pile but very hard to walk on- I don't know what to do about that
It is hard to move furniture on it as well, like just pulling out a chair- I have to lift the chair, not drag it.

I wish there was someone who could come into my apt, who knows what is needed after a TKR and help me figure out how to set things up.

I am going to remove as much clutter as possible and put all the clothes I think I'll be wanting to wear close by (for when I have to go out- indoors it will be night gowns and short pjs)

as far as moving food from place to place- I don't see putting it on a tray affixed to a walker as a good solution- hmm, do you really NEED to use a walker? and for how long?
is this due to pain?
or weakness?
or being unsteady?

or a combo of all of those?


I hope not to have to take narcotics for more than a few days but it will depend on what they give me for other meds (I take celebrex now but I'll be on blood thinners and may not be able to use an NSAID- can't take tylenol and a bunch of other common meds so it will be interesting to see what med they find for me!)
I've had adverse reactions to the 2 opioids I've had in the past- esp the oxycodone- omg that was awful! it was like I was super caffeinated or something, couldn't sit still, no nausea or anything and def didn't have to worry about being drowsy because I had the opposite problem- I was buzzing around like crazy. Funny thing, same thing used to happen to my mom if they gave her any type of similar drug. Must be genetic IDK



My first pre op is 2 weeks after surgery and I had assumed I'd be able to walk there- the drs office is just a half a mile away.
I am hearing from others that this is too far to walk even after 4 weeks.......?


I am just having a hard time imaging what it will be like
I live in a building with all older adults and I am one of the youngest
I've not been here very long and have met a handful of residents, all very nice, but none of them physically able to be much help to me.

this not knowing what to expect is very tiring LOL
 
@meecies
You will want to have your cell phone literally on you (pocket or a waist pouch or somehow) in case you fall.

You might ask your ortho team if they can order home health RN and PT to do a home evaluation before surgery!

Yes you definitely need a walker. You will be very weak and tired and because of how the muscles, tendons, and ligaments get moved about in surgery they cannot be 100% relied on for stability. Some people transition to a cane in a few weeks, others it takes longer.

Also an elevated toilet seat with arms. If it fits, a shower bench is nice. Also if you ortho agrees you will be homebound for a couple of weeks, he can order home health RN and home health aide visits under Medicare benefit.

No you won't walk 1/2 mile, even with a walker or cane, at two weeks. I went into surgery quite fit and had good stability and range of motion. My notes at 6 weeks say that outdoor walking was just under a half mile, using the walking stick.
 
You might ask your ortho team if they can order home health RN and PT to do a home evaluation before surgery!
I can try but so far very few of my questions have been answered or even acknowledged.
I have repeatedly asked about the Iovera treatment, what it cost, what I need to do to get an appt, etc.
Every step of the way has been like pulling teeth to get any info at all, and a lot of what I have been told is totally opposite to the info in the packet that they sent me
There does not appear to be any "team" - just the surgeon whom I will rarely see, and his overworked assistant who doesn't answer my questions.

so I don't hold out much hope for that.

Yes you definitely need a walker. You will be very weak and tired and because of how the muscles, tendons, and ligaments get moved about in surgery they cannot be 100% relied on for stability. Some people transition to a cane in a few weeks, others it takes longer.
holy bleep! this is nothing like what I've been told.
My notes at 6 weeks say that outdoor walking was just under a half mile, using the walking stick.
omg, six WEEKS? that's a month and a half! I might be able to get some help for a week or two but I don't know anyone well enough to ask them to drive me around for longer than that.
I had no idea! Ppl keep telling me stories about friends of theirs who were out and about the same week as their surgery. They tell me that I'm worrying for nothing and doing too much planning.
(also I am going to be bored out of my mind! oh geez.)
No you won't walk 1/2 mile, even with a walker or cane, at two weeks.
will I be able to walk to the elevator and go down and get my mail? it's not a short walk but I don't know how to gauge the distance.

Also if you ortho agrees you will be homebound for a couple of weeks, he can order home health RN and home health aide visits under Medicare benefit.
I don't have Medicare. It's an assumption a lot of ppl make but not everyone is eligible for it.
it's also why I don't get my questions answered or get calls back etc and another reason why I've been so afraid to have this surgery. My insurance has a very low reimbursement rate, something I have no control over of course, so I'm very low priority everywhere I go.

But at least this practice is willing to see me- the other one ditched me for asking too many questions and wanting a second opinion.

I'm supposed to be grateful but when you think about how absurd this situation is, it's hard not to be angry.
 
Last edited:
@meecies

With a walker yes you should be able to get down for your mail.

I know Medicaid is different in every state, but here in California it covers short term skilled home health care (RN, PT, maybe an aide) and some ordered durable medical equipment.
 
I know Medicaid is different in every state, but here in California it covers short term skilled home health care (RN, PT, maybe an aide) and some ordered durable medical equipment.

nice! Medi Cal is quite generous.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom