BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Home Alone After Surgery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Celle, Jun 21, 2015.

1. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Ewok , I know our nurse, Josephine went home alone and lives in a 2 story house. Like you, I went to a rehab until I could do the 13 steps to my home. This time though you’ll have a good knee (TKR) to use on the steps. Why don’t you try just using your TKR leg to climb the stairs, bringing your ouchy non-TKR leg up to the step. If you can do that now I imagine you can after surgery.

2. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

I was alone for double arthroscopy in Nov, and I will be alone for RTKR next month (Im single). I already know what it will be like for me. My main issue is being careful not to trip over my dogs (3 littles), or them jumping on my knee. Im freezing mre's right now.

3. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@NDSunshine Do you have someone who can watch your dogs for a bit until you don’t have to worry about them jumping? You won’t be able to walk them for a while either, so if they need walked you may need to set that up as well.

4. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Got that all covered. For pottying, I have potty pads that they know how to use. I won't walk them for the first 2 weeks, and when I do, I have a wheelchair that was given to me that I've been using off and on. If I have any problems, I have tons of support from church friends.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

The frozen food, lol...My freezer is full of stuff I've made ahead, and it looks like a bunch of meh leftovers.