Home Alone After Surgery

I was on my own after surgery and have managed ok! Couple things to add to everyone's excellent suggestions:

I knew I wouldn't want to eat after surgery, the meds take away my appetite (which is fine, I've lost 15 pounds- woo!!). I got frozen berries, coconut milk, almonds and spinach to make smoothies in my NutriBullet. And had protein powder- so an easy healthy alternative. Oh and added prune juice when needed!

I used crutches, so backpack has been key. Have everything under the sun in there, including meds. And found an app to track meds called "mango health". Cause there was no way I could keep track/remember on my own.

Get the handicapped parking placard!! I resisted initially.. But oh man is it worth it!! Especially as the weather gets nasty.

And for sure friends stopping by makes life better. And they can bring you things (ice and spinach for me!).

Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR

Get the handicapped parking placard!! I resisted initially.. But oh man is it worth it!! Especially as the weather gets nasty.
Yep---this is a must. It is really helpful especially in the early days of driving. It will help you get closer to the stores, etc; it saves you not only time, but energy, as well.

You can do as I did---I had one for six months, but I tossed it out when I did not need it anymore---about four months post-BTKR.

Yep---this is a must. It is really helpful especially in the early days of driving. It will help you get closer to the stores, etc; it saves you not only time, but energy, as well.

You can do as I did---I had one for six months, but I tossed it out when I did not need it anymore---about four months post-BTKR.

Especially with the winter weather. Mine goes through March, which should be well long enough I'm hoping!

Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR

@lite699 a lot depends on whether you can lift your leg onto it by yourself. For my first knee i couldn't for the first week, for my second I could. But I also had to leave it set up all the time. I found it too heavy to try to move.
You would probably do ok without it.

As @hbpeyton18 said a backpack is useful or a basket from a dollar store with zip ties will work on a walker and allow you to carry things back and forth from the kitchen etc. While I had a friend come to my house most days in the beginning I found a leg lifter to be invaluable. My other leg is not so good and the leg lifter helped me get into bed, get my leg onto the ottoman and in/out of the car.
Put some water bottles in the freezer and use those with some water instead of ice cubes if you're using an ice machine to ice your TKR. Water bottles were much easier, stayed cold longer and used less ice.

Very true @iamshrdlu to write down when you took you pain pills when you're on you're own.

I still use alarm on my phone as reminder for medication. Works great.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15

Is it possible to be alone and handle cpm machine?

I wasn't supposed to, but I handled mine just fine in the hospital. That said, I would say "It depends." The machine is bulky and awkward. If you're not comfortable handling a 20-30 pound bag of dog food, you might not be comfortable with the CPM.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Would you recommend renting lift recliner ? BTKR 16 Feb. I will be alone most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum BTKR Feb 16, 2016

Well, yes and no. It's not that big a deal getting to your feet and the activity is good for you anyway, same as getting on and off the toilet. So for that reason I wouldn't recommend it. And besides this, you'll most likely be on top of it within a few days!

Would you recommend renting lift recliner ?
Not at all. You will be able to get up and out of it---albeit slowly---but it will be good "PT" for you. After your TKR and you are fully recovered, you will be able to do much more of these day-to-day activites without a second thought.
Yes---I had one as I had my BTKR in November and I needed it when I went out in the winter time; here in Ohio, you can get one for six months; I used mine for about three months and then tore it up. It did come in handy, though, when I began to drive.

All great ideas does anybody have ideas for my cat I have two of them one is older and can take care of himself but the babies a year old drives me crazy plus he only eats wet food on the table of course. My only concern is walking from the dining room to the living room with water to change the cat water. Now how do I get down to clean out the litter boxes?

Hi @No knees, I've been thinking about the litter box issue too. I have a stool that I'm going to keep nearby so that I can sit for this job. (I'm scheduled for bilateral TKR on April 13). I've used the stool in the past a couple times and managed okay. Hopefully others will chime in with what they've done.

I ma not sure how to handle the litter box issue. I did have a BTKR, and it is possible to use a container of water if you place it in a pocket in the walker. Some folks have gizmos where they can hang something on their walkers so that they can carry things on the walker.

As for the litter box, is it possible for somebody to come in on a regular basis in the early days of recovery and help you with it?

@Josephine and others have cats and Josephine cam home alone after her TKR's---she can help give you the best advice for that.

I've been thinking about the litter box issue too. I have a stool that I'm going to keep nearby so that I can sit for this job
Why? I'm sure that even with a bilateral you could manage without that. Just have the litter box near the toilet and a long handled scoop!

I have a tiny bathroom, so there's no place for kitty's box there..... :) I will look for a long handled scoop, great idea, thanks!

@iamshrdlu my husband done the same thing to the rails on my raised toilet because it hurt so bad lowering myself down & having to walk my legs out while sitting down since I had bilateral. Leg didn't bend...but now it much better. That's a good idea for the walker.

I sat on a chair after my knee, but I could bend over. As I understand it, you're not supposed to do that after a hip, so I recommend making sure you have a long-handled scooper.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks