Guest viewing is limited

THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elosarabrab I was never comfortable on exercise bikes, and had a history of jogging outdoors. When we moved to this town, it was just plain too hot to jog outdoors for 6 months of the year, so I bought a treadmill. It's a good one, but is currently serving as a railing for the killer steps down to the garage laundry area. When I get happier with those steps, maybe it can return to being an exercise machine. But it doesn't tell the temperature LOL. I understand that the biking movement is good for the hip, right?
My hubby has, somewhere, a frame that he can put his own bike up on, to spin as it were. He used to do that every night about midnight, until he started getting numb in very important places.:yikes: No more intensive biking for Mr ZF!
 
I tied my shoelaces myself :happydance:I cant even remember the last time I could. I cant bend my leg enough but managed to lean over instead.
I did a walk to the shops and ten minutes on the exercise bike and I haven't seized up!
Ed took all my unused medicines to the chemist for me. It is good to be rid of them all.
 
Elosarabrab yahooooooo!!! What good news! So in UK you take meds back? Do you pay for that service, and are they allowed to resell them?? We can pay for disposal, but usually, and sadly, I think they just end up in the trash/sewage stream unless one knows a missionary who takes them to little clinics in the jungles-- I'm fortunate in that! :)
I'm still glowing for you and the shoelaces and the 10 minutes and even the shops! Better ice now LOL
 
Where I live in California, we can turn unused medications in at any police station anonymously and for no charge. The police hand them over to the US Drug Enforcement Agency for incineration.
 
Wow, Elosarabrab! I am so proud! Your shoelaces, and off with the meds! Yahoo!
zauberflöte and alexthecat, I think our country is only beginning to catch on about some of these things! And all states are different. For years we would vacation in Maine where we could recycle everything except tissue and styrofoam, then come home and only be able to recycle #1 and #2 plastics. Our town caught up only about 2 years ago.
I am superstitious; I'm keeping the meds awhile more. (Heck, I'm still using some occasionally!) But it feels so good to begin to get back to LIFE! :yay:
 
My PT told me not to use the recliner bike at the gym. I use the regular lifecycle. It feels good, but it does hurt the tush. I have a spinning bike at home, but have not tried that out yet. I am thinking about getting a gel cushion for my hybrid bike. I am going to get it out tomorrow, put air in the ol tires and take it for a trial spin, make sure all the gears and breaks are working before I go out on a long jaunt.
Two years ago, when I found out the my groin pain was not a pulled groin muscle from running, but a lack of cartilage, the OS, who himself had a THR, and a former runner, said the bike is safe, a great cardio workout and easy on the hip. Cycling is my second favorite, after running, which is no longer an option, so getting excited about starting a new cycling chapter in my life.
 
zauberflöte, Over here we are encouraged to return unused meds to the chemist, there is no charge for this.
They prefer to dispose of them properly rather than people throwing them into normal rubbish or down the toilet. They destroy half used ones. I don't know if they are allowed to resell the unopened packs.
Songlady thanks I was pretty pleased with myself its one of the milestones to independence.
Mamarey I am sticking to the exercise bike as there is no risk of falling off. I am building up gradually. I don't know how accurate the read out is but I burned off 50 calories so it said. I think that would equate to a lick of my chocolate bar :heehee:
 
Elosarabrab Congratulations! That's great, and no more meds. Yahoo!
zauberflöte Great idea about the missionary. I don't want to mail drugs across state lines, but I wonder if he knows a church in NYC that does the same work?
Mamarey My PT said the same thing. I used the upright bike for eight minutes with no resistance.
 
Mamarey thanks for the comments about biking-- it's good to know for a backup exercise. Easy on the hip, I like that :)
LeeApril26 this woman I give meds to is just a nurse who goes on medical missions whenever she can. One of the doctors she works with has a clinic in, oh I forget what country, but she takes him stuff that people give her. I don't know how she gets it across borders, but that's her gift I guess! So, I doubt she knows anybody in NY LOL. You cld ask around? Call a mission board? I don't know, at all!
 
Oh Elosarabrab you really sound good and so confident about your recovery, I am a tiny bit jealous and hope and pray that I'll be the same in a couple of months time. I'm so impressed with the exercise bike riding you're doing, really, really, impressive, I hope you're still using that cushion, you don't want any accidents!! :)
I long to be able to return all my tablets, when I go to the chemist I need a large carrier bag these days, one day not too long off though eh!! You're doing great x
 
Congratulations, Elosarabrab! Being able to bend over and tie both shoes is a huge deal. (I can only do it on the good side.) And getting rid of the pain pills. (May I ask if you are taking any over the counter stuff?) And going to the shops, and the cycling. It all sounds so good! On your way back to normal living.

As for drug disposal in NYC, I called a drugstore chain (Duane-Reade) and they said try calling 311 as well as a site called "disposeofyourdrugs.net"; could not find that site online. Instead I found broken link removed: https://www.disposeamed.pima.gov
and have no clue if that's the right one. The fda.org site also has info about it, but I haven't read up on it yet.
I called 311 and was told to check the literature that came with the drug for specific instructions; then, I was told to mix up the drugs with something "undesirable ... such as coffee grounds or kitty litter" (no comment). Then, put the concoction of drugs-and-grounds-or-litter into a nondescript container, such as a tin can. Then throw it out with regular garbage. Okay, then.... hmmm.
 
"undesirable ... such as coffee grounds or kitty litter" (no comment). Then, put the concoction of drugs-and-grounds-or-litter into a nondescript container, such as a tin can. Then throw it out with regular garbage. Okay, then.... hmmm.
That doesn't sound right does it? I had morphine in liquid and tablet form so really had to get chemist to dispose of it properly.
I kept some over the counter pain pills but haven't needed to take any since stopping the other meds.
One odd thing is I seem to have developed hay fever. I was sneezing and runny nosed when the sun came out last week. The next day no sun and no sneezing. I dont know if my immune system has gone awry because of the two ops in quick succession or being indoors for most of the last 7 months.
 
Week 8 post op. I am now going to have to practice going to bus stop, getting on a bus and get to work. I had to give up using the bus pre op cos apart from not being able to walk to the bus stop, I couldn't physically get on to the bus. I went on the website www.walkit.com It gives info on distance, best route, calories burned and how long it would take. You can tailor it to your walking style, how wide your pace is, how fast you walk for more info.
 
Elosarabrab. Thanks for the website. How far is the bus stop from your home. I haven't tried more than a half mile (sorry-I am terrible at metrics) yet, and am wondering how a bus will feel. I know several BS posters have done it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom