• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Hiptopia!

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I recommend it @ahipgma . It was truly mindboggling when she said ' can you do a bridge for me' and I cheerfully complied thinking proudly, yeah right can do this no problem. Then she asked 'do you think your hip is level?' I said yes of course they feel level. Then she quietly pushed my right hip down -a lot- and said NOW it's level. I kid you not, it felt like my left (unop) hip was WAY higher, but it wasn't really. :shocked:. That's how messed up my body awareness was, as far as what feels 'normal' is in reality very skewed. A real eye opener! This is gonna be an interesting journey. I really didn't do supervised exercise in my outpatient PT sessions so they didn't catch it. But I've got another eagle eye looking at my warped body now. I'm on my way!!:yes!:

ahipgma

graduate
Country
United States United States
Yep that's what I mean, such an onus on PT here but they do more than pull on you and hurt you, at least the good ones do. Sounds like you found a good one and I hope to as well

ChrissyW

senior
Country
Keep us updated with the Pilates @Calgal as I used to do yoga. I've incorporated very gentle moves into my daily exercise but really muss the floor based and bendy stuff but I'm resigned to them being out of my repertoire for any time soon at least but I'm a true believer in listening to your body very carefully in everything you do.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Then she asked 'do you think your hip is level?' I said yes of course they feel level. Then she quietly pushed my right hip down -a lot- and said NOW it's level. I kid you not, it felt like my left (unop) hip was WAY higher, but it wasn't really.
That must have been shocking...and enlightening. It will be interesting to follow your progress.
A great weekend to you!

Mayhip8

senior
Country
@Calgal i'm really interested in how Pilates makes you feel and how manageable you feel it is. I'm probably not going to sign up for anything until my second hip Is done but I know I need more assistance with my core

After years of arthritis and lower back issues Im more than aware of the need to strengthen my muscles. On another very quick note without hijacking your thread I thought you'd be interested to hear the comments that were directed at me yesterday by a friend of a friend. ( who ive not seen for months)

After I stood up from sitting I gave a little 'ouch' moan and a little unsure wobbly step before I got my balance and walked across the room to get something, the friend Of a friend said to me "you don't normally walk like that have you hurt yourself?" And I said "oh I had a left hip replacement back in May and will have another one in a couple of weeks on my right side. And she said to me "didn't it work ? "........Gobsmacked!!!( A very northern phrase meaning OMG!) how rude!!!!!!! I Heard myself say "actually I've done very well! I have arthritis which affects my my mobility". And then I left the room. Some people!
So I hope you have a good weekend and continue with the excellent recovery and progress. :loveshwr::flwrysmile:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Wow, @Calgal, sounds like your therapist is really good and will be focused on watching you carefully at each session and helping you restore some proper body mechanics which you've lost probably from before surgery. I think we all want that kind of person working with us--you are very lucky!

And @Mayhip8, that person's comment was so unbelievably rude! It constantly amazes me how clueless folks can be sometimes, and you think to yourself, "do you understand how thoughtless you are sounding?" Giving this person the benefit of the doubt, clearly no idea how tough hip replacement surgery and recovery can be, not to mention other health issues, all "invisible" but still there. Argh...

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Will be back to read about your Pilates @Calgal, because I'm really ready to work now that both hips are done. But I have to throw in something to @Barbaraj and @Mayhip8. Fresh from my follow up OS appt and my home PT guys last visit, these are people who KNOW. They both said recovery takes a year. Full recovery, where you get up easily and naturally, where you can go a few days at a time and barely think about the fact that you had a new hip replacement (or two!). We are also used to being in this community where everyone gets it. Oblivious folks who have never gone thru it but still have something to say. Opinions are like..... well you know. Everyone's got one !

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
Oh @Mayhip8 !! Your friend and my neighbour must have gone to the same manners school! :rotfl:. Sheesh. Totally agree with @ahipgma - those who know something about THR recovery and those who don't but think they do! Unfortunately there seem to be too many of the latter in this world. SO glad we can vent and get solace here with other hippies. :cheers:

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
people who KNOW. They both said recovery takes a year. Full recovery, where you get up easily and naturally, where you can go a few days at a time and barely think about the fact that you had a new hip
I'm looking forward to that day, @ahipgma . We'll all get there and share a celebratory dance. :dancy::happydance::spin:

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
Thank you @Barbaraj . Yes I'm thankful that I've found great professional folks to support me on this journey, in addition of course to my expert hipster and hipbro bonesmarties. I need to put in a little more effort now to finally put these nagging issues to bed once and for all.:fingersx:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Hi there, @Calgal, it's Saturday here in my neck of the woods, and assume that's the case for you as well, although some sort of dramatic time difference involved. Do you have home exercises prescribed by your therapist and have you done them yet? I was pretty faithful about my PT exercises but I really had to do them in the morning or, gulp, I risked not doing them at all. Despite my admittedly slug-like behavior in the mornings (wandering around scandalously late most mornings in my bathrobe) I am definitely a morning person and anything really important that relies upon ME for making it happen, must be done before noon in my world. Have a great weekend!

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
Good morning @Calgirl

Following up after your kind post. I will be eager to watch your progress with Pilates. I used to love that. Hoping to get back one day. Nothing helps balance, and strength quite like a Pilates session. It’s crazy expensive around here but worth it as it keeps everything happy and moving. Originally found it for relief from planter fasciitis. Hope you find weekly improvements to your hip. Thank you again!

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
Hi @Fit4Family ! I'm calgal. I think calgirl is on the knee area. :yes:

Thanks for posting. I'm going to post a 4 month update tomorrow, after my I think last PT and another Pilates. I will have had 4 Pilates sessions as of tomorrow and I have great things to report! Till tomorrow, bye for now.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Calgal I enjoyed reading about your Pilates session, sounds very promising! Im at the stage where I'm ready for some gait analysis and I think I've found a great PT, with athletic training and Posture Restoration training.
Like you, I was surprised at what I couldn't feel/tell on my own body.
Can't wait to read your updates.. hope your weekend was as nice as ours was!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: I believe I've accidentally tagged calgirl also when posting to you :heehee:
It's a special day....I hope you're celebrating and enjoying it.
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Possibly you, Mayhip, Chrissy and that hip grandma are off visiting some exotic locale, :wink:
I have to update, I'm falling behind. Whatever your day may bring, I hope it's all good!
@Calgal

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
Well, drumroll. Cue Michael Bublé...it's a new dawn it's a new day and I'm feelin GOOD! 4 months today and I feel like I've got a new life. :happydance: I had my last PT today. He was well pleased with my strength and gait. He even noticed my shoulders were nice and square and I was 'walking taller' than just a month ago! Again reiterated that I will undoubtedly experience more healing all the way up to 12 months out, but I'd be happy with where I am today. :egypdance:
I've been to 4 private Pilates sessions and it's been fantastic. Really good for me to start getting my old stiff body moving again. I'm quite stiff in lower back, achilles and hamstrings. Turns out the hip is the least of my problems! :shrug:I've booked 3 more sessions and am looking forward to continuing to do some sort of bodywork as part of a (new) regular health program. As I said, I feel like I've got a new life. I'm going to make up for lost time and take care of myself as best I can. :thumb:.

I couldn't have made it to this point without the support of this site and my Bonesmart pals. I feel we are friends and sincerely don't want to lose contact. I'll keep up with you all and try to post as I continue my fitness program.

Keep up the good work everyone!. Keep the faith. Keep up the walking. Keep up judiciously using good sensitive therapists. Keep up the likes and support of others posts. It heals us to help others heal.
May you all find your own hiptopia.:yes!:

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! One more thing, what's really amazing is that I've felt such a huge amount of progress just in the last couple of weeks. I was whining and had a real confidence stumble as you all know just before 3 months. Still limping, using crutch, etc. Then BOOM. One week later it all just seemed better. SO much better. @Mojo333 often says that 4 months out was her big turnaround. Turns out that's true for me as well. Of course everyone is different and we've started our hip journeys for different causes and at different ages, and some have had to struggle through second hips soon or complications. But there is light at the end of the tunnel at some point. :SUNsmile:

The main thing for me, reflecting at 4 months on, is that this whole hip thing has made me a more thankful person and also given me a kick up the backside to take care of my body better and just get out there and enjoy life! What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. :yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ppadilla
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom