• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Hiptopia!

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
United States United States
@Calgal I agree with you about the muscle weakness on the bad hip before surgery. My physical therapist tried doing one activity with me, last year. It was easy with my left side, but I almost fell when she switched it to my right side. Thank goodness she was spotting me closely. Glad you have Pilates to help you equal things out. I forgot to ask which muscle(s) were weak. I was just shocked at the moment to experience that profound weakness. I tend to think they are the right rear to lateral muscles.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
5 Months! Happy Hippie-versary! It just goes to show you that everything in this life needs balance.
Glad you are doing and sounding so well.
Your OS will be very impressed when he sees you striding in, I'm guessing that it will be your last follow up for a while, too!
Onwards and upwards! :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I forgot to ask which muscle(s) were weak.
@VSlowLife my particular weak muscles are the gluteus medius which got hammered during my posterior THR. But also gluteus maximus and minimus. In other words, the butt muscles! My right 'cheek' is even noticeably flatter than the left, even a bit concave. Not good. My Pilates pro says I need to get righty more 'juicy'. Ha! :rotfl:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Calgal Happy Five Month Anniversary! Sounds like you're coming along wonderfully. Wish they did a Pilates class at our gym but no such luck. Thinking if I tried to do their Zumba I'd fall out after about 10 minutes! :heehee:

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
@Elf1 I'm scared to death of any type of fitness group classes. I know I couldn't keep up and would feel the pressure to do so. So I'm more comfy doing the 1:1. It's really like very specific PT, with an emphasis on total body balance, which I'm sure others have found to be useful. I'm only doing mat exercises, no reformer or anything that difficult. Baby steps. But that's ok. Better that than the dreaded ODIC! Hope you're enjoying retirement. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm living normal again and it's soooo nice! :yes!:
Have a great week.

FayeL

Country
Canada Canada
@Calgal Just read your recovery thread start to finish (needed some comfort here;I am at 6 1/2 weeks post- op and having a "slump" induced pity party.) I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your journalling for all of us here, looking for some reassurance. I was this close to cutting myself off of the forum for abit as I have been so frustrated these last few days with ongoing persistent groin and thigh aches that are so sensitive to even (what I consider to be minor) increases in my activity level, while reading some journals of those doing amazingly well at this stage of recovery-and yes, I know we all progress at our own rate, but sometimes that is easier to accept then others. Seeing your "leaps forward" at 3 and 4 and 5 months have been tremendously reassuring to me, a total stranger (but united on our hippiness) who has taken a step backward over the past few days and has been increasingly "assuming the position" in the recliner with the ice. Thank you.

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
Thank you @FayeL . Im glad you found some rays of hope in my very long winded recovery journal. Even though I didn't experience a lot of the issues others have had to endure, especially at the beginning, I did have my physical and psychological setbacks at times. But luckily also surges forward, especially after 3 months. It's so hard not to compare yourself with others progress at X point, especially with well meaning but clueless outsiders making flippant comments. Like all things in life, some get dealt different cards and yes it's not fair, but it seems that it's how we react to things that matters in the end. I like Leonard Cohen's lyric for a life mantra:

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Wishing you peace and healing.

linette333

senior
Country
@Calgal I loved reading your five months report! Your account of your recovery is always so honest and gives such an accurate picture of the reality of this journey. No, it's certainly not the quick-fix some would have you believe, but the long-term results are miraculous, it's true.
You are clearly on your way now! :yay:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
A belated Happy Five Month Anniversary!
You're doing great! Thanks for sharing your progress and your contributions to the forum. With many months of healing to go, you have lots of little surprises to look forward to. It will get even better. :)
I hope you're having a great Thursday. :SUNsmile:
@Calgal

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Hi, @Calgal. Feeling a bit low myself today, as if I've taken a giant step backwards. Went to PT today and got both knees taped so feeling very sorry for myself. But your focus forward and chin up attitude are both hopeful and helpful. Keep up the good work, for yourself and all of us.

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
Oh @Barbaraj I know you are rarin' to go but please don't be sad. :console2:. You've forgotten how long it takes to develop the strength and stamina, and how long those nagging aches and pains persist. I was still struggling at 3 months and it's so frustrating!! I even still limp sometimes today but I'm determined not to let it get me down. Keep up your careful and consistent PT. Look to the future but take things a day at a time. Glad my recent posts are helpful to you; you've rooted for me (and so many others!) and inspired me so much! :roseshwr:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
With many months of healing to go, you have lots of little surprises to look forward to
I hope so @Layla ! Looking forward to more good things to come. But yesterday I went to a 'common' countryside area (think a very rough and ready unkempt park with very irregular ground) that I haven't been to in a YEAR! Last time I was there I was crying in pain. But yesterday, in the lovely brisk autumn weather, I walked our usual route no problem!! I'm so grateful for where I am today, even with a bit of a limp when I get tired, that anything good to come will be icing in the cake. :SUNsmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
That's the best! Doing something with ease that had become so difficult, or impossible. Those were the times I initially found emotional. you can't help but have a heart of grattitude, but like with all else, we grow comfortable and have that feeling less and less. I detailed my first experience like that in a post once. A moment in time that I told myself I'd never forget, nor the way I felt about that second chance I was given.
Happy Friday...Have a great weekend! :)
@Calgal

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Thank you, @Calgal, I do need to just remind myself again, it's a process and there will be ups and downs. Kind of tired of the down part at the moment, but know it will pass if I continue to be vigilant about staying the course. I was going to get booted from PT next week but I am rethinking that plan. I think I could benefit from a few more sessions. Iced last night and this morning, and hoping that the knee pain will subside if I'm careful today. Have a good Friday and weekend!

OP
OP
Calgal

Calgal

graduate
Country
A 6 month sonnet. If Shakespeare had had a THR:
Oh gluteus medius, gluteus medius!
Wherefore art thou, my gluteus medius?

Had a 2 week early 6 month followup with my OS today. :thumb: He's thrilled with my status, activity level without pain. X-rays look good, everything is solid. A negligible less than 5 mm leg difference. I told him my only issue is with residual major muscle weakness in my glutes, which I've been trying to remedy with pilates but feeling increasingly frustrated with lack of progress. He tested and reassured me I actually have good strength... for 6 months. But as @Layla and @Mojo333 and all the other advisors say over and over again, he said that muscle strength is easy to lose - both before and after THR - but takes a very long time (and lots of effort) to build up again. 12 to 18 months!!! :flabber: Yes! So... I've got more work to do but it's not too late. He said keep walking, swimming, using elliptical, doing the PT exercises (which to be honest I was never diligent about doing), and heartily approved my Pilates sessions for strength, stretching and balance. He recommended staying away from high impact sports, just to minimize the long term wear and tear on the implant. He said 'since you're SO YOUNG we want it to last as long as possible'. Could have kissed him! I see him at 1 year anniversary, in 6 months.

So, it's full speed ahead with a renewed committment to religiously do my exercises. Which includes exercising my patience muscle while I'm at it! Onward and upward, hipsters - this is indeed a long haul. I'm SO thankful I never had any complications and I really shouldn't moan because it's just these pesky butt muscles that I'm still wrestling with.

Healing hugs to you all - you know who you are - who have been here supporting me every step of this journey. :loveshwr:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:goodpost::loveshwr: Love this! I'm so pleased for you and pleased that you posted this.. there's no way around it, this healing business takes time.
I bet you were a happy young thing walking out of his office!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
That sounds like a fantastic visit with your OS, love the SO young comment! It's great that he's happy with your exercise routine. You are doing really well, keep up the great work! :loveshwr:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great appointment and encouraging update! It's wonderful to receive reassurance from the OS that you're progressing as you should. Thanks for sharing the news. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@Calgal

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ciscokid68
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom