A 6 month sonnet. If Shakespeare had had a THR:
Oh gluteus medius, gluteus medius!
Wherefore art thou, my gluteus medius?
Had a 2 week early 6 month followup with my OS today.

He's thrilled with my status, activity level without pain. X-rays look good, everything is solid. A negligible less than 5 mm leg difference. I told him my only issue is with residual major muscle weakness in my glutes, which I've been trying to remedy with pilates but feeling increasingly frustrated with lack of progress. He tested and reassured me I actually have good strength... for 6 months. But as
@Layla and
@Mojo333 and all the other advisors say over and over again, he said that muscle strength is easy to lose - both before and after THR - but takes a very long time (and lots of effort) to build up again. 12 to 18 months!!!

Yes! So... I've got more work to do but it's not too late. He said keep walking, swimming, using elliptical, doing the PT exercises (which to be honest I was never diligent about doing), and heartily approved my Pilates sessions for strength, stretching and balance. He recommended staying away from high impact sports, just to minimize the long term wear and tear on the implant. He said 'since you're SO YOUNG we want it to last as long as possible'. Could have kissed him! I see him at 1 year anniversary, in 6 months.
So, it's full speed ahead with a renewed committment to religiously do my exercises. Which includes exercising my patience muscle while I'm at it! Onward and upward, hipsters - this is indeed a long haul. I'm SO thankful I never had any complications and I really shouldn't moan because it's just these pesky butt muscles that I'm still wrestling with.
Healing hugs to you all - you know who you are - who have been here supporting me every step of this journey.
