Guest viewing is limited

THR Hiptopia!

They're adjustable on the first section @Calgal . I'm 5ft 4 so have it on the vertically challenged people section but there are other settings for taller people and it extends from 81cm to 92cm fully. It's electric blue so a bit funky and was around £5 but does the job perfectly well and once extended its sturdy. All hail the Amazon Gods!! Oh I just thought, we can be Amazonian queens!
 
I think all these informative and supportive posts from various folks, @Calgal, just serve to illustrate that we're all different and that we are all on the same journey, but progressing at different rates and with different aids when needed. The key is to realize that during this journey--yes--it really is all about YOU! You need to explore options and figure out what works for you! Stupid comments from thoughtless folks are always out there, and brushing them off is the only way to handle them. Your doctor, your therapist and YOU get to assess how you're progressing, nobody else! Hoping you are feeling recovered from the mental setback brought on by the silly comment, and that you're having a great weekend so far! Cheers, and here's to you!
 
Last edited:
Noises when I sat down gingerly on my trusty cushion? The mind spiraled out of control! :what:

This made me laugh! Your brain really did get a workout on this one. I don't think people who throw out careless comments are worth that much time. Chalk it up as "open mouth, insert foot". Someone needs to put on their thinking cap before speaking....and it's not you. Your reflections made for some good humor, thanks for the laughs :heehee: I hope you're having a lovely Sunday! :wink:
@Calgal
 
Ha ha @Layla ! I can see what you mean now but I meant all the grunts and groans! :rofsign:. Yeah, I spent too much emotional energy on a careless remark. Perhaps I've got another touch of post op blues? Nah, but I do think as I said in an earlier post, I'm in the wasteland called hip recovery desert. That period after the bulk of the obvious healing, after the 6 week checkup and you're 'cut loose' so to speak with very little ongoing feedback. I said it's like walking and walking and walking but you've got a lonnnnng way to go yet, plus you get lonely in the desert. Your mind starts to play tricks in you! Thank god for virtual friends on Bonesmart! :roseshwr:
 
oping you are feeling recovered from the mental setback brought on by the silly comment,
Yes barbaraj, I've stepped back, taken a breath, observed what I thought was relevant (I indeed may have jumped the gun on aid-less walking) and have made appointments with my professionals for knowledgeable assessments. So tried to make something good out of a bad incident. :good-bad:. Time will heal the hurtful words as well as my hip. Moving on! :walking:
 
I agree with you, @Calgal, that the middle stage of recovery can feel lonely and endless. The early days are all about coping with pain and exhaustion so just getting through the day is all one can focus on. As recovery proceeds, where you feel good but obviously not 100%, it can feel lonely and tiring, and one can get restless and grumpy. You so want to be fully recovered but you're not and little setbacks can loom like huge obstacles along the recovery road. I think your plan of stepping back, taking a deep breath and then moving ahead is very sensible. You, and everybody else on this tedious journey are going to reach the end of the line at some point. You are really doing remarkably well--think about how far you've come since surgery! Hang in there, slap a smile on your face and keep on doing what you're doing! Happy Monday!
 
Good Afternoon and Happy Monday to you.
Don't be lonely, you'll never be truly lonely here! :friends:
You're doing great and at only three months post op, you've have lots of time and healing to go.
You've made great strides and now may be a time to catch up on some rest. You could have a touch of Post Op Blues also, but if so, I'll bet it's short lived. Many notice a change around four months, so fingers crossed it feels that way for you. I hope you're having a good start to the week.
Wishing you a pleasant evening!
@Calgal
 
Well Calgal I know those are hurtful comments and I know we are ultra sensitive as well especially if we think we are progressing and feel good about ourselves and then boom a remark to deflate us. My PT demonstrates how I walk and it ain't pretty but I had to laugh. He asked me if I walked that way prior. Now how would I know. He then asked if anyone ever told me I walk 'that way' I said no. He said I had nice friends. I asked my hubby when I returned and he also showed me how I walk when I asked him so PT was correct.I don't have problem with knee toe but apparently you are supposed to keep the back leg straight to push off--who knew--. This is no mean feat for me because I apparently walk like a jerking washing machine agitator-- who knew. I believe with PT exercise your gait will improve on its own with a little help from you. Gee we shouldn't sweat this stuff otherwise we'll lose our minds. All we can do is the best we can.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
It's still the 23rd for me, but I'm sure you're sleeping by now and it's the day after.
Sorry I didn't drop by sooner. Better late than never, right?
I hope you have a very lovely weekend!
@Calgal
 
Thank you @Layla! It was actually a great day. :yes!: I went back to my outpatient PT for a ' check-up' and gait discussion after that comment.

He said he's seen thousands of postop hips and....drumroll....mine is a GREAT hip for 3 months. :yay:. What a relief! Again reiterated this is a 6 to 12 month rebab process and I'm just 1/3 to 1/2 way through but doing great. :happydance: He said my idea of the rehab Pilates was a great idea - starting slow and with careful assessment. He thinks I will be able to join one of her group classes if I want, after I know what to modify.

But here's my 3 month challenge:. Turns out my gluteus medius muscle is quite weak. To be expected because as a posterior THR that's the one that got manhandled the most. Also he said that all my glute muscles have atrophied from the OA in bad hip so long before the op - that my right bottom is actually smaller than my left (lefty had to compensate)! Couldn't tell at first because of the Kim Kardashian swelling post op ha! :rotfl: The thigh tightness I've been experiencing happens because the quads, hamstrings etc are trying to compensate for the weak glutes when I get tired and start to limp. They are fine themselves, nothing to strengthen there.

At the time he said I wasn't limping at all. But was sure that I dont have the stamina yet to go long distances or perhaps just later in the day when I will tire he's sure I'm probably limping, but again, to be expected. I need to use a crutch, stick, cane, countertop or something when that happens, as we all know, false virtue in braving on without aids if you're not walking properly! The people who do that risk injuring the other compensating muscles and tendons. :bignono:So I'm not being a baby needing some walking aid for a bit more, but not necessarily all the time.

Bottom line is I feel SO much better with an accurate diagnosis (and 3 specific exercises designed to strengthen glute medius and it's friends). He thinks another couple of weeks doing these will do the trick but I'm seeing him in another month(on my 4 month hipaversay). I have s spring in my step again!! Thanks to bone smart for all the moral support through this whole process, you and all my pals.:roseshwr::wave::friends:
 
So pleased for you and to read this. You have got some great advice. Posterior and gluteus medius. Ticking that box. My boss kindly expressed surprise I was still on onecrutch after 3 months ish but it kept my back straight and helped me concentrate on walking correctly. After a few more helpful comments I finally lucked up courage to speak to her. She was horrified and had no idea of the effect her comments were having. She did apologise!
 
@SurreyGirl it's amazing the 'experts' out there dishing out medical opinions. :tantrum2:. If they saw a video of a hip replacement they would be in awe of us for sure that we were even able to walk at all. I think it's @Eman85 who often aptly says THR
is like a controlled car crash and everyone needs to keep their expectations in line with that in mind.
Impressed you had the guts to talk to her about how it made you feel. I might do the same with my know it all. :thumb:
 
Last edited:
In her case she meant well but made me feel a failure. Ditto the nurse I met in a group in a pub who expressed surprise I was still using a crutch. I was just glad to be out and socialising so didn’t need her comment.
 
It sounds as though you have been given some very positive and useful advice @Calgal . I will be interested to hear how you get on with the Pilates.
I know that I am tired of explaining to all "well-wishers" the reasons why I am still using a cane .......:bored:
 
Hi there, @Calgal, sounds like an overall good report from your therapist, @Calgal, and nice to know what's actually going on and have a plan to address that with targeted exercises. I remember getting a similar comment from my PT, about glute muscles being weak, following my first surgery. I got a couple of home exercises for that and he was right, they did help. The glutes are big muscles, if I'm recalling correctly, and critical for proper gait. You are doing so well, and focusing on proper gait and using assistive devices when needed is a smart approach. Big pat on the back for you, smart lady!
 
It's good to hear that your three month anniversary was a great day! It's always such a good feeling leaving the OS's office after a positive visit. It sounds as though he's pleased with your progress. :yes!:
Please let us know how the targeted exercises work for you. Hopefully you notice a change soon.
Wishing you a wonderful evening and Sunday!
@Calgal
 
We continue to learn from one another. This thread was worth it for the kim Kardashian remark alone:heehee:, but your journey helps me understand my progress, too and everyone's input is added to my knowledge of being a two-time hippy!
It is more about the muscles etc.!?
I remember watching the Talking with Docs on you tube and one remarked about your muscles can really protest after their limited range of motion for x amount of years when coaxed to do so much more its 'ouch' for them....
So unlike a car accident our hips and their supporting systems took a long time to get this way so who says 3, 4, 5, or more months is enough to turn that all around?
I am going to used my cane and take my pain meds longer this time if needed.
So glad you've gotten some good info and are feeling better:friends:@Calgal
 
@Calgal Boy, do I love your PT's description of your healing process and where you are now. So glad you returned to her and got confirmation that your three month hip is great!! :loveshwr:

I agree that things shift and change when we get tired at the end of the day. Plus if you were relaxed and not thinking about your gait, that affects things too.

You are doing so well, nobody rains on your parade, ok!?? :flwrysmile:
 
What a wonderful update! I am so pleased you are feeling more positive and able to start pilates soon. I did pilates years ago and loved it. So great for strengthening. Love your description of one bottom smaller than other . Made me check out my own and it looks flatter bit like a deflated tyre :rofsign:.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom