Guest viewing is limited

Hip surgery in my future

@allena,

I suggest getting some healthy protein bars in for the hospital and at home. Sometimes it is really handy to have something quick and accessible in the early pre-op bit. I normally have a good appetite but did not feel like eating much for the first few days, i think that this is fairly common. But one needs to eat to help the body to repair, just a suggestion.

Catch up later.
 
@allena,

These suggestions may or may not be useful:

I had a pen and paper next to my bed so i could keep track of what tablets and what time i had taken them. Still do in fact. This is especially useful if you wake up in the middle of the night and cannot remember when you took your last ones.

My toilet bags in the hospital were clear plastic, this meant i could see really quickly what i needed without faffing about. They are really cheap in the UK so i presume even cheaper in the US.

x
 
@layla.I've read some recovery thread stuff.My luck has been so bad this year that if I didn't know better I'd say i was cursed-and it's not just the hip either.Some other really bad things have happened too.I digress though.
 
@swamphiker.I'm glad you were able to get some food.Yeah!Being hungry and not being able to eat sucks.
 
@Ginny 12.Thanks for the advice.I have lots of clear plastic bags and snack foods.I have no doubt I will get bored.I normally and out and about alot.
 
@ginny12.I'm glad you feel so good.:)That's wonderful.
I am not disappointed.i didn't expect much of the counselor.He did have one good suggestion at least.
I am glad the recovery period is less stressful than the pre op period.
agnes has been unhelpful.Her number one thing is it will be cancelled.the nurse said no scratches after all.:(
What if I have a complication she says!You're going to be left semi helpless she says.etc.sigh.also that I'm in danger of bad side effects or addiction from the opioids.and of coarse the lack of sleep at the hospital.Ive been meditating and exercising as much as possible to help with the stress.in all honesty some of that isn't juust anxiety -it's reality.I've heard plenty people say they could not sleep much in a hospital.and complications do occur.Still I do have no choice.It needs done.
 
addiction from the opioids
I would like to speak to Agnes please. As I've shared, I also have a dislike of opioids, so much so that I refused the ones they wanted to give to me in the pre op area. I was sure I would regret that decision later lol. As it has turned out, I have not needed any opioids as of yet - even in the hospital. It is possible and I am shocked at how amazing I do feel.

Also, if you don't sleep well in the hospital you will really appreciate the sleep you get when you return home :egypdance:
 
My Agnes was exactly the same, her biggest fear too was being cancelled. I went in with numerous cat scratches, razor injuries and other bizarre self inflicted wounds. As long as you have no obvious infection it will be fine. I did wear long sleeves and trousers tho so my cat could not get me again the few days before the op.

I love nurses and i am extremely grateful for what they do, but, perhaps your pre-op one was a little bit too strict. As for the side effects of course anything could happen, but literally thousands of people have this surgery and are fine. Lots of people are much older than you and with things like diabetes which can potentially make things a bit more complicated. But even then the vast majority of people sail thru.

You bring up a really important point and one i totally agree with. It is reality that things can go wrong, not just anxiety. So i totally get that, you know i do. BUT, the crucial difference is that our Agnes's over estimate (dramatically) the probability that things will go wrong and see danger everywhere. We want control to be safe, but, unfortunately the Universe does not play along. When you are on the other side i am going to bore you rigid with all my amateur psychology theories about Agnes.

The weekend before my op i was shaking, crying and thought i would go mad with the tension. I was even going to cancel as i thought of all the 'what if's'. But i couldn't walk and knew i had to do it or go thru the whole sorry saga again. Everybody feels anxious but i think you will agree my Agnes was completely out of control then. Because Agnes is playing up big time up you probably are finding it hard to believe the positives, just keep doing things like meditation and Monday will be here before you know it my friend.

I have just come back from my walk and i walked 3/4 mile with a stick. I am not tired or in any pain. Again i am not saying this to brag but so that you know things will get better. Look at Swamphiker, she is only 3 days post op and doing great, feeling great too.

One day nearer x
 
@SwampHiker.I am glad you are doing so well.Yeah!It's possible I may be that lucky.I have a high pain tolerance thank goodness.in you're case it sounds like you're pain level is very low.I hope you have a good day.
 
I have been very careful.I put a thick towel on my lap when a cat gets on my lap.I've been wearing thick pants(not completely effective-I still got scratched by a cat even then).
I know that most of the time it turns out ok,but then I think maybe i'll be one of the unlucky ones?sigh
alas one has little control in life.It sucks.You deal with things,you must submit and do the best you can.Good for you.:)I know you're not bragging.I'm very happy for you.
 
My guess is you'll do just fine. Not long now and you'll be on our side.
Only four days to go and you'll have the worst part over - the pre-op anxiety.

I like Ginny's suggestion of a notebook, or something to log your meds as you take them.
That was a tough one for me initially. A few days in my husband began making me do it and overlooking my notes. I suffered some brain fog. I'm not saying you will. Some do, many don't. I was forgetful for sure. Initially it concerned me even though I knew it was from the anesthesia but slowly and surely the fog lifted. It was a lot of needing things repeated, not remembering if I asked a question, or not. Starting over numerous times while trying to read. Stuff like that. That's why I'm big on people reading through the Recovery Guidelines pre-op. I can't tell you how many times I'd start reading those articles over and again right after surgery. I couldn't get through them!

Speaking of, I'm going to leave them since you're only four days away. We can leave them on the Recovery side post op also. It will give you something to concentrate on as you wait out these last few days.
So....here you go -

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I took an eye mask and earplugs as it is hard to get to sleep. with all the noise. Obviously that is unavoidable and all the post op checks really important. But out of there very quickly, and as we all know no place like home. x
 
Yes,that is true.3 says of little sleep.that should be fun.i will be very glad to get home for sure!
 
You are going to be fine in this recovery. Good you are all stocked up. And you have all your BoneSmart friends with you. You got this @allena !
 
I think i have a idea for doing the laundry.If I use a grabber for the lighter items,my back scratcher for the heavier things and sit on a chair I may be able to do my laundry.I can think of no work arounds for taking out the trash sadly.:(
 
Today is the last day to use my voltaren gel.l will miss it.i will find out how tough I am and how good I can control the pain with just tylonal,exercise and meditation. Maybe my hip will be kind to me.It remains to be seen.
 
I love your idea for the laundry. It sounds pretty solid to me. As for the trash, I asked my neighbor for a hand.

Enjoy the relief the voltaren offers tonight. I hope your pain doesn't get too bad. I'm not going to lie, I was miserable after stopping all my supplements and topicals. The pain did reinforce that I was making the right decision to have my surgery despite my age. I like to think of it as the right of passage to a better quality of life. I hope you get a good nights rest tonight.
 
@allena,

You sound like you have things under control.

We call trash, rubbish, but as SwampHiker suggested could a neighbour help to take it out? Do you have any Church groups that could help or local volunteers? In my experience most people are more than happy to help, especially something practical like putting the trash out. I am constantly amazed at the kindness of strangers. I would put serious money on anticipating that you would help a stranger if you could.

Do you have any local papers as they may have lists of volunteer groups which may be able to help. Also don't be shy asking your friends for help. Yes everybody has busy lives but you are not going to be out of action long and they will want to help if a true friend.

I even managed to feed my cat yesterday, i got my grabber and picked his bowl up. He actually eats out of a metal dish that curries are served from in restaurants as he is such a messy eater. This meant that i did not have to bend down. One happy cat. Don't do this with a dish that could break!

You will be amazed how you will manage, but, the first two weeks can be tough so if you can get help, take it.

I will check in again later. Nearly there. x
 
a friend of mine will help with the housework so she will take out the trash for me.Before the surgery I'll do some last minute cleaning.
 
Back
Top Bottom