Hip surgery in my future

Well Agnes might have to go on vacation or we will at least keep her visits short as she has no place hanging out with you while you go through this.
Everyone does have anxiety about this..the unknown is usually scarier than the actual event.
Normal feelings...so lots of sympathy here.
 
I am wondering something.what is better and what is worse after the hip surgery.i know the hip pain will be less bad and
I'll need more help due to temporary limitations,but beyond that I have no idea.Have I missed something?is it more good than bad? Or the opposite?
 
I'd say the first few days were pretty jarring...once pain managed more uncertain than hurting.
Only a few weeks later...still slow but able to manage.
Check out Ginny's thread and some others with brand new hips.
Just keep in mind... all different recoveries...with no hiccups or some hiccups.
 
Last edited:
Hi @allena,

I hope that you are feeling well.

I have been having a lazy day today so sorry i have not checked in sooner. I can only speak on a personal level but i have no pain to speak of post-op. That said i have taken my codeine regularly and intend to keep doing so. I can without doubt go longer between doses tho. There really is no need to worry about the pain as you will have tablets and as you said you have done so well at bringing your own pain down by meditation etc. That is a real skill not many people can do that. Well done.

I have just come back from my walk (Day 12) and managed a 1/3 of a mile. I know that i could have done more but i want to take it gently till i see my OS on Tuesday.

My Agnes tried to kick off this morning when i woke up, my wound dressing had come loose a bit. It is due to be taken off tomorrow by the nurse but of course i was thinking of all the worst case scenarios like wound infection! So you know what i did? I read all the advice that i had given you, did some deep breathing, said thank you to Agnes but in no danger so she could have some time off. And it worked!

You are even closer and no it will not be a walk in the park, but, at day 12 i am a lot better off and more mobile than i was before the op. I would never have believed it and i am not expecting you to either. What is true is the build up to the surgery is a million times worse than the op and the after care.

Thinking of you, chin up. x
 
It's ok.Im sure you have other things to do.no worries.:)
It's been a good morning.I was able to stand up straight in less than a hour!yeah!I have done some housework and a load of laundry.
I am not worried about the pain really.That's one of the very few things that hasn't worried me.I was highly motivated to learn!I needed some pain relief.I hit upon a another cool idea-when my hip is achy I imagine it's numb.If I do it right it actually works!It doesn't hurt for awhile.Of coarse i have to really be able to concentrate to do that,but it's still awesome.or another one -imagine there is a switch for the pain.turn it off.I digress though.
I believe you.I don't doubt it is better for you.It gives me hope that maybe this won't be completely awful.
I don't doubt that either.Ive worried about other things and they weren't as bad as I expected they would be.I hope you have a awesome day.:)
 
@allena

Are you up for a challenge?

I have just read an article in a magazine about a person with severe depression (yes i know light reading!) and in it he said what kept the depression at bay was keeping a gratitude diary. He recorded x 50 things he was grateful for in a 24hr period. Does not have to be big things, he for example was grateful for his morning coffee etc. He found it hard to find 50 things at first but it got much much easier as time went by. Apparently it gets easier because the brain can only do one thing at once, either looking for the positive or the negative. But more positives crowd out the negatives, makes sense really.

Now i know you don't have depression but shall we give our Agnes's a run for their money?

Well i am going to start and the first thing that i am going to put down is having made a new friend in you. Your not going to let a Brit beat you are you by getting to 50 things first?
 
Hi, we must have been writing at the same time! x
 
LOL!You sound like me!yes,light reading!:)
I couldn't hurt,but I am not sure i can come up with 50 things.You just might win.I'll try to though.some days I'd be lucky to come up with 10.
I consider you to be a friend too.I just assumed I was a one of a kind-and not in a entirely good way:(
 
1) thankful you woke up today
2) thankful for your cats
3) thankful for your support from Ginny
4) thankful for a solution to your pain coming in the form of THR in 8 days
5) thankful that you are still able to get some housework and laundry done on your own.
6) thankful that you've discovered tools (exercise and meditation) that calm you when you're anxious.
7) thankful that you have a friend, or neighbor, to check in on you during early recovery.
8) thankful for the sense of humor you have that's lurking in the shadows, but comes out for brief visits.
9) thankful for a roof over your head and food in your mouth.
10) thankful for BoneSmart and your secretary, me, who started your list :rotfl:

Hope you have a good one!
@allena
 
That's a good start. You will see more of it after the surgery and I'm not so stressed.ill eventuly feel better and you will notice the difference .
I hope you have a good day too.
 
@allena,

So you have friends in high places eh (@Layla) who is helping you with the challenge. So two Yanks against one Brit!

Right this is war!

1) I have a new friend called allena
2) my cat licked me today instead of biting!
3) It is autumn (fall) in the UK and i have a lovely tree outside my window and the leaves are turning such beautiful colours
4) I am walking really well, no stiffness/pain/limp. A true miracle, well it is to me.
5) I had a delicious chocolate brownie.
6) My dog gave me a smile, i don't care if people say dogs don't smile, they are wrong!
7) My sister telephoned and told me that she loved me and was proud of me. This is a special one.
8) I don't care what i look like and normally i go round with a face full of slap (make up) but other things to worry about.
9) As far as i know i haven't frightened anybody by not wearing make up.
10) My operated leg is straight for the first time in years.
11) I read the Sunday papers in bed.
12) I love my grabber
13) It is nearly Bonfire night in the UK, i live in Lewes which has an amazing display of fireworks every year. I can see them from my window.
14)Loads of good things to watch on the telly (TV).
15) My nails grow quickly
16)My friend brought me some flowers
17)My husband changed my sheets on my bed.
18)Bonesmart!!!!!!!!
19)I think that this operation will make me a better person as i have more understanding of what people have suffered.
20) Being able to hear the radio, my mum is deaf and she really gets frustrated, and who can blame her?
21)I felt 'well' enough today to order a new dress on the internet.
22) I am checking out new shoes that i will be able to wear, i am 5ft in my socks and i want some height!
23)It was a beautiful day today, very mild.
24) I live in a small pretty house and i am so grateful to have a home. Loads of homeless people now in the UK thru no fault of their own
25) I have lived in many countries and i am so grateful to be a Western Woman.

I will stop there and don't worry i will not take over your thread, and do this again. But unless i see 'evidence' by this time tomorrow off you i am going to declare myself the winner.

Warmest wishes x
 
11.I love my chromebook.
12.I love my wheelchair.
13.I love my grabber.
14.I love my houseplants.
15.I am glad it was a sunny,mild day.
16.I am glad I am a western woman too.
!7.It's fall-even though winter comes after it the leaves are so pretty.
18.We have 5 weeks of fall in west virginia due to how mountainous our state is-the climate is like southern canada in the highest elevations and mild in lower ones.
19.I am thankful for my heater.
20.I am thankful for my glasses.I'm mr. magoo without them.


21.i love my bed.I had to sleep on a couch for many years due to lack of space for a bed.
22.I am grateful for good days.
23.I love youtube.There's alot of good stuff on there.
24.I love books.
25.I am glad i have one good hip-it beats two bad hips(though one bad hip still sucks)
26.I have a new friend named Ginny.
 
Last edited:
Wow, allena, that is awesome! It's nice to read about some of the things that hold importance in your life.
Number 26 made my eyes a little misty. That is so very sweet of you. Ginny will love that! She is a gem, for sure. I see a couple things on your list that can serve as a distraction while you're in recovery.

One week countdown to your new life begins tomorrow. I think you're going to love the result.
Sweet dreams tonight.
@allena
 
Yep.they will.im sure I will eventuly.it will take some time .its not like im gonna wake up and walk a mile.it took a long time to get this bad.it will take some time to get better too most likely.
 
:hi:So happy to read your thread this morning.
Everyone gets bummed once in a while, and I have had alot of things that were starting to weigh on me these past few days.
Reading here...reminded me also to count My Blessings.
I too dread winter..but you are indeed in a beautiful part of the country @allena.
Have only travelled through that way, but would love to spend some time there!
Hope today is a Good Day!:roseshwr:
 
@allena

I will post more later today but i just want you to know how thrilled i am by number 26 on your list, thank you. OK you are the winner, well done! So many things i want to ask you about your list, but, we have plenty of time. I did feel better after writing my list and i am going to keep it up. Your right getting to 50 is a challenge but 10 is doable.

I have just had my dressings off and all is well. The scar is very small and easily covered by a pair of pants. It is day 13 and i could easily walk 1/2 a mile but i am taking it slow as advised to on this site. My pain level is much less than pre-op, to be honest i don't really have any pain to speak of now. I have no swelling and really feeling a lot more energy returning too.

My OS said to me that i would do well because of my age (56) he said people under 50 usually do extremely well, so that is very encouraging for your recovery.

One day nearer and you are doing great. x
 
Back
Top Bottom