Hip surgery in my future

That is good.I like honesty.I am worried it won't happen.an it will NEVER EVER get better.I can have less scratches,but none at all seems impossible.I have this terrible feeling i am completely wasting my time trying even,but still I have to try.Wish me luck.
 
I'll do my best and hope for the best.there is nothing else I can do.
 
Dearest @allena

You are describing exactly how i felt on the run up to the surgery. It seemed like that some DARK FORCES were out to get me and the surgery would be cancelled. As i said every day i sustained some new skin injury. I now believe/know that everybody has minor skin problems anyway. Apart from anything else the OS will lose money if the surgery does not proceed, so she/he will not cancel unless really not safe. A cat scratch is nothing.

I focused obsessively on myself pre-op , and that way lies madness. I am not joking i truly thought that i would have a breakdown again. I have been there before and it ain't pretty.

But no, reject the DARK FORCES i have just been out for a 1/4 mile walk and i am not even tired. You are younger than me by nearly 10 years. I can't make this stressful time any better for you, but, it will end soon and you can read your old posts and shake your head in wonder that's how you felt. x
 
I am glad to know it's not just me.thats good to know.luckily for me i have not had any breakdowns.the closest is a panic attack- which was bad enough.
 
Allena, would you agree that the outcome will be, what it will be, no matter if you think about it negatively, or positively? I'm guessing you'll agree. So rather than thinking about it negatively and bringing yourself down, why don't you try viewing it in a positive light. Shut those negative thoughts down when they begin. Turn it around, put a positive spin on the negativity, then try to dwell on those thoughts.

I'm sure my surgery will be a success, after all, why not?

I don't know any legitimate reason why I can't have a good recovery, so that's what I'm planning on.

If I get nervous during prep at my surgery site, they can give me something that will calm me.
Therefore, I will not have a panic attack.

I trust my doctor, the nurses and anesthesiologists who do this every day....successfully.

A scratch from my cat will not postpone my surgery, per many other members / cat owners who've gone before me.

Do you have all the Recovery items you'll need? Or, are you still arranging and compiling things?

@allena
 
I'm working on getting things.i have to wait till I get paid to shop though.
I admire you're optimism. It must be so nice to be that way.ill try my best.its like pulling teeth sometimes though.
 
@allena

I have no great wisdom to impart today (well any day really) except to say that you are one day closer. I was exactly the same as you (anxiety wise) and that's why i am routing for you so much. But i am Day 10 now and really doing very well. I am using one stick and have been able to cook for myself and potter about.

The thing about anxiety is that no matter how many times somebody reassures one about a problem it is never enough. That is the anxiety not you. Anxiety is actually trying to help you and keep you safe. But sometimes it can be way too overprotective and see danger when none exists. Everybody experiences anxiety to some degree.

I suspect that your anxiety is on high alert and is only letting perceived danger signals thru not the reality that you really are safe. What i do, but you have to do this before a panic attack takes over, is call my anxiety a name. My name for her is Agnes. So when i feel a sense of panic or anxiety i step back and try and depersonalize the situation. I say to 'Agnes' "thanks for bringing that... to my attention but i am a bit busy now" This may sound mad but it can be really useful to step back from yourself and not get caught up in the intrusive thought.

But of course i can do this now because i have had the surgery and my stress levels have plummeted. I knew all this before but there is numerous evidence on this forum that i was not thinking/acting rationally pre-op. And i suspect that all my fancy theory will fly out the window if i get a post-op problem! That does not mean that one should not try though to get a grip. I mean me not you.

I think it was Samuel Beckett who said:

Ever tried.
Ever failed.
No matter.
Try again.
Fail again.
Fail better.


There is no way thru this but thru it unfortunately. You are one day closer. x
 
@ginny12.that is true.I will try that the next time my anxiety acts up.It couldn't hurt!I didn't think of that.
thanks for the advice.:)
a part of me thinks I will probably be ok,but the anxiety says things like You might get a infection!You might get a blood clot!this might not help you!What if you are wasting you're time?etc,etc,etc.
I can calm it down when I exercise or meditate or if i am otherwise distracted.I hate it!
anxiety sucks.
I've tired to think posatively,but that doesn't work sometimes-the anxiety overrides it.:(
I am glad you noticed my posts.It's good to know I'm not some freak or the biggest coward on the planet.i was beginning to think i was.
 
We don't think you're a freak, or coward, please know that.
I don't think we'd waste our time with you if we felt that way.
Most every single one of us suffered anxiety to one degree, or another.
You're just the winner! Winner, winner Chicken Dinner. :chuckmarch:
That was just a "funny" trying to make you giggle, that's all.
You've showed your humorous side, so I know you have one.

In all seriousness, keep stopping by as often as you need to. We'll walk with you to your surgery date and be waiting for you on the healing side, thereafter. I think you'll be surprised that it wasn't as traumatic as you're feeling now and I bet you'll do great! You're going to love the end result.
Wishing you peace of mind and comfort as you wait. Hope your weekend is a good one!
@allena
 
Ginny is giving you honest and sincere feedback ...that always help encourage me when I was waiting on my THR.
Hope your weekend is sweet @allena :catbutterfly:
 
I know. I appreciate that.id settle for a ok weekend.i like the cat chasing the butterfly -so cute!
 
Hi @allena,

I hope that you are doing OK. I had a brilliant day yesterday. I am Day 11 now.

Each day i am able to do so much more. I am a very good mood at the moment, it is morning in the UK. I have had the best sleep i have had in years!!!. What i find hard to believe is that i woke up only once overnight and forgot to take my painkiller. I woke up this morning in hardly any pain. Now i am in the school of thought that believes to take the tablets regularly and for as long as needed, i am no heroine. But all the grinding of bone and stiffness has gone. I still find it hard to believe, but, since i am always lecturing you to believe things i am going to take my own advice!

I am not sugarcoating anything, if i have a setback you will be the first to know. I read somewhere on this forum, not sure where and i think that it was by Josephine, that the vast majority of people who have hip surgery make a really good recovery. Some may take longer than others, but no matter we get there in the end. People often come to forums like this because they have a problem, so because it is a self selected group it is not really reflective of the majority of joint patients. So in other words, lots of people don't have any major problems. Obviously, pain, swelling etc are just normal reactions to having had major surgery, to be monitored but to also be expected too.

My mobility is coming along nicely and i can see a time in the future when i can walk my dog again. It is an amazing coincidence but her name is Ginny too!

I was doing a bit of research after your comment" It's good to know I'm no freak or the biggest coward on the planet".

The following people all have some form of anxiety/panic attack disorder:

Emma Stone/Jonny Depp/Scarlet Johansson/Wynona Ryder/Adele/Mickey Rourke/Christinna Ricci/Kim Basinger/Jennifer Lawrence/Miley Cyrus/Taylor Swift/LeAnn Rimes/Kate Moss/Amanda Seyfield/Oprah...

What surprised me the most about the above list was Oprah, i know i am a Brit but i am a massive fan of hers. it just shows that they are able to face the media despite the anxiety. However, while they may be famous, you are doing exactly the same by showing up for your life, and being pro active and coming to this forum for support.

I could go on but hopefully you get my point that you are very far from a 'freak' you are doing the best you can in the circumstances that you find yourself in. I truly believe that you should be very proud of all that you have achieved.

You are one day closer. x
 
that's funny.It must be easy to remember you're dogs name.lol
I am glad it's a good morning for you.I am having my usual morning so far.I'm stiff as a board,but I'll feel better eventuly.
I am scared of opoids.addiction runs in my family.I think i would rather be in pain than be a addict.also I am in pain now.I have been for many years.i'm used to it-unless it's more than a 5 I hardly notice it.
Ive read that you won't get hooked most likely,but i have bad genes to contend with.I'm probably at higher risk of getting hooked.
that's good to know.I have never felt too brave.My anxiety is very specific.I'm not usually anxious-unless I have to have a surgery or be a patient in the hospital!:(Lucky me!
 
@allena,

Please don't worry about the codeine.

The vast majority of my family are alcohol dependent (lucky me!) and i gave up drinking 5 years ago when it was getting the better of me. I can tell already that i don't need as many codeine tablets and if anybody was prone to addiction it is me. You will be taking them for a completely different reason and while i can't say you won't, it is extremely unlikely that you will become addicted. The body is very clever and knows why you are taking them. All this gene business is over estimated anyway. Genes only account for less than 5% of developing an illness or addiction. Often things like addiction run in families because they all share the same environment, and by environment i mean that if one sees ones parents drinking excess it somehow seems more normal so the pattern continues.

What i would advise you do tho is to get some psyllium husks from a health food shop. They are really effective at dealing with the inevitable constipation that the codeine will bring. You need effective pain relief post op or it can delay healing, apart from making your life a bit more miserable than it has to be.

Also, without doubt, the grabber i was advised to buy has been a lifesaver. I was on my own, dropped both my sticks and would have been really stuck without it. Worth every penny, or cent as i believe you say.

I have just returned from my walk and i managed to walk further than yesterday. I am taking things slowly as i don't want to do any damage, but, you will be so thrilled when you make these little improvements.

I repeat you are under 50 and fit. Many things on your side to indicate a great outcome.

Like you i thought that i had got used to the pain pre-op and could tough it out. Yes i had got used to the pain and very rarely took painkillers. What i hadn't accounted for was the feeling of liberation not to have that bone on bone pain, or the stiffness that would mean i was frightened to sit in public as to get up meant drawing so much attention to myself as the hip had locked up. I had no idea how much misery i had just accepted as my lot in life. Now some poor people have no chance of getting out of pain or a wheelchair, but, we do. How amazing and lucky is that!!!!!!!!

I am here for you and we may have totally different lives but we have many more things in common than differences.

Don't forget your anxiety is a very over protective friend, but, you don't need her so much as you have real ones on this forum. Does she have a name?

x
 
My dad drank himself to death.he got alcoholism denentia.my uncle was a a lcoholic.so was my grandfather.i won't touch alcohol.i consider it to be evil.poor thing.youre family history is no better
I have a grabber and use it often.i have all the tools I'll need since I have been disabled for some time by the arthritis. It will be more of the same for awhile.minus the bone on bone pain of coarse.meh.
My doctor will be giving me colace at the hospital.i think I'll be on oxycidone then tramadol then tylonal.
I am sure any improvement would make me happy .no doubt about that.
You got the expression right.
Yes,we do.my UK twin.lol.just kidding.
I don't feel lucky.i feel cursed. I am glad this will probably help,but it's nothing I would do if I didn't have too.I know it's probably wrong to feel this way,but its,what I feel.oh well.
I've decided I'll call the anxiety Agnes too.i can't think of a better name.
 
Agnes the anxiety companion!
Oh my stars...:)
 
Back
Top Bottom