Hip surgery in my future

I figure it will be more of the same-except for being worse for awhile.Then it will get better.I just hope i won't need too much help or too many pain pills.
 
I'd like to recover asap.I don't expect 100 percent normal-anywhere near that would be good enough.
 
Allena, your attitude / mood has changed so much in the past few days. You sound more positive, stronger, determined, more confident and accepting of it all. It's refreshing.

We understand your anxiety and you understand that we all had to walk through that fire. There's no other way, but you will get through it. I remember the closer I got, I just wanted it over with also. I got sick and tired of stressing over it. If they would have called me two weeks before my date with a cancellation date, I would have jumped at the chance to finally put it behind me.

Try distracting yourself with all you need for recovery because your date is on the horizon. Get everything purchased and ready to go. You'll be back home recovering before you know it and you'll do just fine.
@allena
 
I am still not excited.im not completely sure it will be ok.im unsure of how much better off I'll be.i iust know that should be better off. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared.im trying my best to handle this in the best way possible.if some freak thing happens and I die I'll still be better off.i won't be in pain anymore.
 
I have been trying to distract myself.alas that will be difficult on the day of the surgery.
 
You won't die. I'm 99.9% positive I read from Josephine that in all her years experience she's never seen a patient die from a hip replacement surgery. I know you're not excited. I realize you're afraid. But your coping. And you're doing a better job of it, or so it seems. Don't worry about the day of surgery. They'll give you something, remember? You can tell them right away when they begin prepping you that you're feeling anxious.
@allena
 
@allena congrats on the change of attitude - being a warrior instead of a victim :yes!: I'll be getting my replacement in 6 days! I spoke with my doctor regarding my dislike of narcotic medications, as a result he will be placing a medication called Exparel during my surgery. It is designed to help control pain for the first 72 hours which reduces the need for heavier pain medications. I don't know if this is something your surgeon uses, but it's worth a shot to ask. I'll let you know how it works for me after the surgery.
 
Last edited:
Hi @allena,

I know you and i have a bit of a competition going on at who can claim to be more anxious, but i bet that if you met me in the flesh i think that you would coincide defeat! Why am i saying this? It is because i told every single Dr, Nurse, Physio and even the poor cleaners how anxious i was. Without fail every person was kind and understanding. They truly have seen it all before and know how to help people who feel anxious. And lets face it who wouldn't feel anxious.

I am day 8 now post op and feel so much better, i even could walk with one stick around the house yesterday. You may not think that you are young but believe me being under fifty will help. It is obvious really as a twenty year old would most likely do even better.

I am still smiling and so delighted i have had it done. You will too. x
 
@ginny12.lol!I needed a good laugh.that's good to know.i still have this nagging doubt.What if something goes wrong?I know the odds are in my favor and it will probably be ok,but still there it is!Ive been trying to ignore them.I mostly suceed thankfully.
I'm glad you could use a cane.:)Yeah!
Ive been told that before-that being under 50 helps.
 
Well,I was told that if I got any cuts that were red ,infected or too big I should go to see the os.i was told to not have any cuts,on my body if possible.help!How do I avoid getting cuts when I have cats.
I have been putting a towel on my lap,but sometimes the cat is faster than me
I am beginning to wonder if this surgery will happen.i am willing to do it ,but I can't promise I won't have any cuts
 
I think perhaps i am just very good at scaring doctors.maybe I am just too weird and they don't like me.I don't know.Or maybe i just have really bad luck.
 
I have cats and any scratches are usually minor. Whoever told you that this would impact your surgery is just silly. Please don't worry about this - go on with living with your pets as you normally do. You will be fine going into surgery.
 
@allena,

My OS practically laughed in my face when i showed him my collection of injuries from my so-called domestic cat.

If you read my pre-op thread you would see that on an almost daily basis i sustained some type of cut to my skin. There was the pilates ball incident when for reasons known to only a higher power i thought i would lie on on the ball in bed and i sustained numerous little breaks on my skin on the left hip were i was having the op!!!

So many people told me on this forum that the pre-op period is the pits. That is so very true, it is build up of tension that can drive a person mad. Truthfully the OS is only concerned with infected cuts and cat stuff will be fine. How would anybody ever have the surgery if the rules were so strict?

The day before the op i was getting stressed about having furry legs. I mean really, please, who cares. Well an idiot like me cared and i bought and electric razor that was not supposed to cut your skin. So with less than 24hrs to go i tried this razor and i bet that you can imagine the outcome. I ended up taking a chunk of skin, around lets say, a delicate area. I was too ashamed to even post about it before i went to the hospital. i thought that i would be cancelled, but no, even this was OK.

You and your cat try and beat that! x
 
oh no!ouch!I haven't shaved myself in years.I don't care one bit about that.Oreo can really get me good,but he isn't white that good.My cuts don't get infected because i clean them as soon as I can.wellone did years ago but that was because I was out and couldn't clean the wound.
 
@allena Morning from the UK

I am day 9 now and managing around the house with one stick, in fact i even forgot to pick that up on one occasion and walked a bit. Now that was silly but i genuinely forgot the stick! I am not telling you this to brag but to tell you what is happening to me as truthfully as possible. Clearly everybody has different recovery stories and i don't want to tempt fate as i may have setbacks, but, i promise you allena i will be honest. My pain is very well controlled, the slight swelling has gone and i feel optimistic for the first time in years about a fun filled purposeful future.

Have all my anxieties gone, ha, ha, NO. But once your mobility/pain improves after the op all this horrible build up of tension will be gone. The odds are very much in your favour all will be well. x
 
Back
Top Bottom