Hip surgery in my future

I have a hard time believing you were more anxious than me-maybe just as anxious,but not more.lol
I live alone so there will be no one to boss.I can only hope that my friends coming by and helping with housework and giving me rides will be enough.at least you didn't have that worry!
I am glad you are happy now.That's great.
You sound alot like me.I seem cheerful and happy,but I am a real worrier and a pessimist.
I will try to have hope.I just keep worrying something will go wrong.:(
I realize my odds are good,but they aren't 100 percent.
I am not young.i will be 48 this december.Thanks for saying that though.lol
 
Allena, look at it this way....You're As Young As You'll Ever Be!
You're still a pup to some of us. You have a lot of living left to do and you may as well live it in as little pain as possible so you can really enjoy life.

I am concerned about one thing, is there someone who can stay with you at least for the first week, or for several days? Just until you get your bearings. Establish a routine, figure out how you'll navigate your home, get your med schedule down, first shower....all that kind of stuff.
@allena
 
no.there is no one.They couldn't stay here.There is no room for them and no place for them to sleep.I'll have to deal with it on my own.
 
I'm assuming I may have some reason to worry?lovely.:(Will i be that bad off?
 
Last edited:
Okay, now don't worry, I don't want to get your anxiety level up, but you do need to be prepared. I think you may be able to do it alone IF whoever is dropping you off once you're discharged gets you settled in and you have someone checking on you once a day. Also someone you can call on if you need help.

I'm not a helpless person and I'm very independent but I needed someone there initially. I did experience some brain fog and wasn't capable of remembering to take my meds on time and record them. My husband realized this and made me go through the motions until he felt I had it down. That's just one thing. The other was first few showers. I was anxious and felt unstable on my feet. Had he not been there, I think it would have frightened me. This is just me. I hope others weigh in. I just don't want to see you alone if you don't think you can handle this all alone. I know it's been done alone, but I'm not an advocate. Just being honest.

Couldn't a friend or family member sleep on a sofa or Aero bed for the first few nights you're home? Is Transitional Care an option?

Compression socks are another issue. If your OS prescribes them you will not be able to tackle them alone...
 
Last edited:
I have a neighbor who cam check in on me.and some friends i can call.I don't have have much in the way of family.My mom is in her 70's and has her own problems.she can't help.Trust me when i say I'm on my own.no.My apartment is small. my couch is a loveseat.no one could sleep on it.There's no room for a bigger one.There's no one who could or would stay with me.I guess a rehab place could be a option,but I don't want to go to one!I want to go home!I think i may be screwed here:(
the doctor didn't say to wear compression socks thank goodness.
 
Last edited:
I was finally starting to feel less anxious too.It's better to know this than to not know though.
 
Last edited:
No...no...now don't get discouraged. You'll figure it out as long as you have the person who drops you off help get you settled in, and you have someone checking in on you once a day, until let's say, you're a week post op.
Could you arrange something like that? Someone to check in on you daily through the 19th? A couple of those days you'll be in the hospital and possibly you'll have a visiting nurse for a few days? Do you know if your OS does that? What do you plan to eat? Have you worked out menus, easy to prepare stuff? Frozen, microwaveable if that would be easiest for you the first week or two.
 
The person that will take me home can't check on me every day,but my neighbor can.im going to get bunch of those frozen dinners and stuff like that.i don't know if the surgeon does that or not. I will have to ask.ill be admitted after the surgury(a monday)and released on Wednesday .I figure I'll be up to making sandwiches and toast.
 
@allena

Please forgive me, i really did not mean to be insensitive mentioning my husband. I know i am lucky to have somebody to help me. It is obviously much much harder if one lives alone.

All i can suggest is that you try (if humanly possible) to follow Layla's recommendations about some form of post op help. I still feel very vulnerable and really don't think i could have coped without some form of back up. I am not saying this to distress you but from a genuine desire that you have a good recovery.

Warmest wishes
 
@allena I was on my own most of the time post op. My partner worked silly hours to I needed to find my way on my own. I waited until he was home to do things like showering. But please don't worry - you will be fully mobile before you leave the hospital including going up and down stairs.
 
@jaycey.im glad to know that.i don't mind using a walker.ive used one before.
 
@allena There’s lots you can do to prepare. Before I went to the hospital, I prepared my 2 spaces. I knew i’d Be spending time on the couch, so I brought a side table over to the couch for medications, tissues, cell phone, etc., I also put a thermos next to the couch so I would remember to drink a lot of water and didn’t have to keep getting up. Put a pad and pencil there, too, to keep track of meds.

Put your gel packs in the freezer before you go to the hospital. Four worked just fine for me.

I did the same preparations next to my bed for nighttime.

I thought about what I would need throughout the day and took things out from low drawers. I didn’t take a shower, just washed up, until I felt steady enough to take a shower.

You will need someone to pick up prescriptions or do it on your way home. All I had to do was walk in the door to my prepared area (couch) and lie down - it feels so good to be home.

If you prepare ahead of time, it will be so much easier for you!
 
Thanks for the information.im definitely going to prepare as good as I possibly can.its on my to do list.i always drink alot of water so that won't be a issue
 
Back
Top Bottom