Guest viewing is limited

Hip surgery in my future

I was thinking i was some kind of oddball because I tend to be pessimistic.I'm glad I'm not.
 
You would be an oddball if you weren't anxious about having your hip replaced :umm:
I was so tired of hurting all the time that by the time I got the diagnosis and surgery date...I was desperate.
Still anxious..but excited for getting that OA pain behind me!:happydance:
 
I'm glad to know that.I am not excited at all,but I am pretty desperate.I accept it must be done.I will probably be glad I did it.i may be excited then.
 
I have heard that they make you wait a long time before they operate on you the morning of the surgury.Is that true?what will happen exactly?why do they make you wait so long?If they are going to make me wait forever why not have me arrive later in the morning?that doesn't make sense to me.
 
Many different experiences I'm sure but mine is -
I was told to report at 8:30 am
Was taken into pre-op area where I got to change into the lovely gown.:curtsey:I'm trying to remember...but I think the nurse confirmed info with me, poor on my bracelet, affixed an IV...and then have me something to "relax" me.:)
Didn't seem So long, but I didn't go into OR until 10 o'clock maybe.
Didn't seem like an overly long wait.:shrug:
I had some family members there that helped distract me:dubious:
 
Lucky you!I have to be there at 6 a.m.!Iam SO not a morning person.I'll have to be up at 4;30 at the latest!Thanks for the information.Maybe i'll get lucky and my wait won't be too long too.Did the medecine to make you relax make you loopy?Did You feel rested after the surgery like you slept normally or was it different?
 
Not really loopy at all..just relaxed.
My surgery was a bit long...since I had both done...and I was so sleep deprived I think it took me a bit to wake up good.
Actually don't remember waking up in recovery...though I'm told I did...just remember waking up when brought into my actual room.
I felt sleepy, but happy and probably a little too out of it to know exactly how I felt.:heehee:
I was just relieved to be done.:tada:
 
I don't recall how long I had to check in before surgery, possibly two hrs ahead of my scheduled surgery time. It all moved very quickly one I arrived. Checked in, within 10 mins I was in prep, putting on the lovely gown and party hat, as the nurses jokingly referred to the shower cap type thing you wear.

I found the nurses to be friendly and engaging, they joked and laughed and kept everything really light and positive. They ask you a lot of questions and someone was always in and out of the room, nurses, your OS, the Anesthesiologists. They can give you something for anxiety almost immediately. Don't refuse it, it takes the edge off.

I was called into surgery about 45 mins before my scheduled time. That's partially why you're there early so you're prepped once your OS is ready to roll. They wheel you away and it's Lights Out in two seconds, at least it was for me. I awoke and couldn't believe it was over and I was in recovery. My surgery lasted an hour.

I wasn't sleepy during that day and didn't go to sleep until 10:00 that night. I wasn't tired and I talked non-stop. Couldn't shut up! I even asked the nurse about it, she laughed and told me it was the anesthesia? I would have talked an ear off anyone who cared to listen :heehee:
@allena
 
I'm glad they give you something for anxiety.I will happily take it!Was it a pill or a shot?I'm glad it goes fast.I imagined a long,anxious,boring wait.I don't need help when it comes to talking too much.I talk too much as it is.I hope they won't hold it against me if that happens.:(
thanks for the info.
 
@allena Just tell everyone you meet at the hospital that you are anxious. They totally understand and will do everything they can to make you comfortable. Ask your surgeon if you can be first up on the morning of your surgery. That will avoid a long wait.
 
Hi again, allena
In all honesty I don't know what's in the IV they start, I didn't ask, I just trusted.
The questions they ask are a few general health questions and they'll verify you didn't eat or drink after the time you were advised. Most everyone that comes in contact with you that morning will ask you to verify, your name, birthdate and why you're there. You'll be asked that several times. In addition, they will each also ask you which hip is being replaced. The OS will sign the leg to be operated on and you will initial your leg also. These measures are just constant reinforcement that everyone is on the same page, leaving no room for error.
This was my experience anyway.

The sedative could have been in a cup of 8 pills I was given, the nurse begin to name them by color and explain what each was. I stopped her after the first. I hate medication, didn't want to take the pills but knew it was necessary so I didn't need descriptions and explanations. Once again, I simply trusted.

You have to understand that no one will be indifferent that morning, allena. You have to trust that you are in capable hands and that all the medical professionals you come in contact with know what they're doing. It will just be like any other Monday to them, doing their best at a job they' were trained to do.
@allena
 
I am glad it might be in pill form.Yeah!also i'll get to have some water.I am sure i will be very thirsty.I don't doubt it's very routine for them.I will trust them.i will have to afterall.
 
They'll give you a little water to swallow pills if that's what you mean.
If you're talking post op, they'll most likely give you a large water cup to drink from while you're at your surgery site to take home afterward. Drink lots of water, it will be good for you!
 
I meant pre surgery ,but that's good to know too.I always do.we will i be able to eat?or will i be too nauseous to want to?
 
Last edited:
when will i be allowed to wear underwear?the same day as the surgery?
 
I think that's all my questions-at least for today. Thanks for you're patience.
 
Last edited:
Yes, you'll be able to eat.
I don't think I ate until dinner time and my surgery was in the morning, but I was hungry and did eat.
Yes, you'll be able to wear underwear too. I had to put my own clothes on right after recovery before going to my room. I don't know why they required that, but they did. I knew this ahead of time so I bought super soft stretchy yoga type pants, pj soft, and an oversized t-shirt so it felt like I was wearing pjs to me.

Allena, ask us any questions you have and we'll answer to the best of our ability. Especially if it brings you comfort and a better understanding of what your experience may be like.
@allena
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom