Guest viewing is limited

Hip surgery in my future

I am weird apparently,but in a good way.i guess I'm lucky I always knew it was arthritis.i knew it was a arthritic hip and knee.i wonder why I missed the groin pain?I am glad I did though.
 
The doctor prescribed tramadol.im scares to take it though.there are so many side effects.I won't take it unless I absolutely have to.
 
How do you know you'll experience the side effects? You may not.
If you do....stop taking it. There are other meds out there you can try.
@allena
 
I don't know obviously-its just makes me nervous when I see all those side effects.I get you're point.
 
That's good to know.I'm hoping it wont make me too sleepy.I need to be able to function.I need to drive.
 
Sometimes ignorance is bliss..:whistle:
I get that it's probably more responsible to be informed in all aspects for as much as you can, but I went into my surgery pretty obliviously!
Alot I wasn't up on...but might have been for the best.
Hope your day is Sweet, @allena .

I have a bit more to get to the weekend :yes!:
I'm having a "Sweet 16" celebration for my little Shihtzu this weekend.
Grilling steaks (he gets one and bone) and riding the four wheeler!
My surgery has put me back to having some fun!:egypdance:
 
He loves to ride!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hip surgery in my future
    rps20181025_074326.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 114
I agree with Mojo in ignorance is bliss. In all honesty, I hate meds, never take them but knew I'd need to.
I didn't look at possible side effects of the meds. I figured if I started to have a negative reaction, I'd stop taking whatever was causing it.

Sometimes the power of suggestion can get your mind spinning needlessly. Then you'll be sitting around waiting to get dizzy. Scaring yourself, wondering if you just felt a little off balance, or whatever the side effects may be. Consider not looking up that type of info if you know it will get you thinking negatively. Try to protect yourself that way, allena. Don't give into the temptation to ruminate over negative thoughts if possible. Try to busy yourself with something constructive.

You most likely won't drive for at least two weeks anyway, probably more like three, and you might not even be on the the stronger meds at that point. I wasn't. You really can't project, because you simply don't know.
You may have a wonderful recovery....right? You'll never know until you're living it.
@allena
 
I am glad it's not just me who hates taking medication.
I like to be informed,but at the same time if I read something bad I worry.It's a catch 22-if I don't know I worry.if I know something bad can happen I worry.:(
That is true.I have no way of knowing what my recovery will be like-which means uncertainty.which also causes me to worry!I'll be glad when this is all over with truth be told.
I'm sure I'll be better off and it will most likely be worth it.
on the posative side I do have some things in my favor and will try to think of them as much as possible.
I know it doesn't seem like it,but I really am trying to be posative.
 
Good for trying! It's a step in the right direction.
Wishing you peace of mind in all.
I hope you have a nice weekend, allena :SUNsmile:
@allena
 
@allena

I have just returned from the hospital after having my left hip done. I know that you and i appear to have many similar worries about surgery, but it's really true it is nowhere near as bad as you think! I was walking the same day and did not go to the op till late. My pain has been very well controlled and i am so happy i have had it done now. I won't lie i did not sleep very well the first night but fine last night. I am in my own bed now and going to have a nap. I also found it really helpful to say upfront to the staff about my various mental health problems. So when i kept asking staff to explain everything wash their hands etc they did not take is personally. Also, don't worry about your cats, when i showed my surgeon my various injuries he basically just said they are not on you hip it is not a big deal.

And i slept really well the night before the op too. Don't give up believing things can get better. Hang in there/
 
@Ginny12 .thanks.i feel somewhat better now.its good to know it's not just me that has those worries.i have not given up on feeling better.its more a matter of how much better will I feel and when.only time will tell. I hope you have a good nap.
 
Thanks.the counseling session went well.ill be seeing him one more time before the surgury.
 
@allena

Not for one minute would i pretend that i am an optimistic person. I seem happy and jolly but inside my head i am often waiting for the worst to happen. However, with therapy, and the sweethearts on this forum i was able to hope that things might go well, and they seem to have as well!

One thing that did pay off for me was doing a lot of physio pre op. I think the lovely Babaraj mentioned that going the gym helped. You sound like you do keep fit so that will help a lot post op if you can keep it up.

I now believe that by far the most important thing is to trust your OS. I was a bit shocked on the day as i was given a general and epidural. I was expecting sedation. But apparently he prefers that so i went along with it. As i have read numerous times in this forum don't get too hung up on the implant/method etc. It is the skill of the surgeon that counts.

You are perfect just as you are, your fears are real and valid. We are all different and i have accepted that i will never be a laid back person. But, if you think about it rationally, why would so many people here post how happy that they are that they had the op. Nothing in it for them except the wish to try and help a fellow human being.

I truly believe that you will do well and your life will improve. I have put my life on hold for years and it feels really weird (in a good way) not to have the surgery hanging over me. I repeat, hang in there!
 
I am trying too. I really am
It's been hard at times though.
I move everything I can.i do try to avoid moving the right hip though.its much to painful to do much with it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom