Hip surgery in my future

oh good!I thought i'd have to wear a hospital gown.They are so ugly.:(I know it's silly ,but i hate to not wear underwear.it doesn't feel right to me.
thanks.I'm glad.Yes,it does.i'm glad i'm not being annoying.
 
Allena, they may have you wear a hospital gown but I don't think they can force you to.
Bring something that you find comfortable and tell them it's what you prefer to wear.
Just keep soft, comfy and loose fitting in mind.
@allena
 
@allena: I think everyone has a different hospital experience so I would caution you to not get too caught up into all the little (to me) details. I too had to be at the hospital at 4:30 in the morning (surgery scheduled for 6:30) but looking back at it now, it went quickly. Probably because I was in so much pain pre-surgery I actually was excited for surgery day!

I started the morning taking a shower at home with this solution they give you to use. After check-in at the hospital and answering the basic questions, they had me use these antiseptic wipes for different parts of my body, then into the hospital gown. More basic questions from the nurse, they then put the IV in with the saline solution and then not too much longer I was brought into the pre-surgery waiting room.

I had never had major surgery before so this was all new and strangely I wanted to be as aware as I could of what was going on. I had visits from a nurse, my doctor, the anesthesiologist, and an intern. All basically asked the same questions and time passed quickly. The gave me something to calm me down so I knew it wouldn’t be too long now. I remember closing my eyes to meditate and think positive thoughts and that’s the last thing I remember.

My next clear memory is being wheeled to my room. Even though I had been given anti-nausea medication, they had to give me more since I was nauseous. Later in the afternoon I did have something to eat but I thought it would be a good idea to have something light so I just had a fruit plate. Even though I did bring clothes to change into, I never did and never did put my underwear on (which does surprise me) until I got discharged. I’m sure if I had thought to ask I could have changed.

Honestly, everything goes quicker than I would have thought and it’s hard to believe that it’ll be 4 weeks ago on Monday that I had my surgery. Everyone I was in contact with at the hospital was very kind, helpful and professional. Looking back the first 2 weeks are a blur and none of my worst fears (well except for being nauseous but even that was temporary) came to pass.

In the grand scheme of things in life, the time in the hospital is literally a little blimp in my life. And the reward and gift of a new hip is something that I will continue to reap the rewards of for the rest of my life!
 
Why were the first 2 weeks a blur?was it the medicine?I know it makes you sleepy and loopy.
 
I guess i should be excited,but I'm not.its something that has to be done .it's a chore I suppose.i will probably be glad I did it.thats as excited as I'm gonna get.meh.
 
@allena, on the first two weeks ... well ... don't know if this works ... but think of first two weeks of new job ... first two weeks of new school ... first two weeks of new neighborhood ... you're adjusting ... everything is new ... even if it's frustrating ... so time tends to fly ... just going to the bathroom is an adventure ...

Definitely my first two weeks went fast ... and in my case, it wasn't because of the meds. I had minimal narcotics ... and low pain ... Just the adjustment ... the newness of the new hip ... the use of the walker ... the cane ... the learning how to stand ... and then your body changes ... healing starts ... and you learn what you can do anew each day ...

Just as as I got a rhythm going for icing ... the aches for me dramatically dropped off ...

I was loving the walker, frankly ... standing up straight somehow was fun for me ... I know: I'm nuts ... and then by the second week, I could get by on a cane ... So lots of shifts ... and changes and adjustments ... so many ... I think that time seems to speed up ... as things change from one day ... to the next ...

And really regarding underpants and any other issue, really it's fair and reasonable to bring this up with the surgeon and the surgeon's staff ahead of time ... Stuff you feel really strongly about or afraid about ... discuss with your surgeon or their nurse, assistant etc., so they can plan to make an adjustment for you ... or explain why such a thing can't safely be done ...

Fear ahead of time, pain ahead of time ... worry about some element of the hospital ... Call up the office! ... All of that is fair game ... surgeons want their patients to have a good experience ... they want you to say good things about them to the next patient and they get kicks out of you feeling well treated.
 
Last edited:
will i be able to eat?or will i be too nauseous to want to?
If you are at all worried about feeling nauseous ask for anti-nausea medication. I ask for it before and after surgery and have never had a problem post op.
 
Thanks for the information,I am lucky in a way.I have used a walker before.I have used a cane for many years.I guess i was practising for hip surgery recovery and didn't know it.I already have alot of the tools i'll need-a grabber,dressing stick etc.I'm used to feeling pain so that doesn't scare me at all.It's been my unwanted companion for 22 years.
 
And that's sad, allena. I'm sorry for that.
Chronic pain is draining. Maybe you'll decide to think about getting your knee done
once you realize this wasn't all bad and you experience the relief it will bring.
I hope you have a nice Saturday! :)
@allena
 
I guess it is.I'm used to it -I just regard it as normal.i don't like it ,but it's normal for me.I am not concerned about my knee-it's not all that bad really.I'll worry about it later on.My saturday has been ok.I hope yours has been ok too.:)
 
Hey ready for a new normal...no hip pain.
It can happen!:ok:
 
I would like that.I have read that for the first couple of years when it's going to rain you're hip will hurt a little-if that's the case it's no big deal.minor pain is nothing to stress about.
 
I've heard that too, allena.
Possibly even experienced it, but also questioned if it was simply the power of suggestion.
Whatever I've felt was minor and fleeting.

You're almost down to two weeks. It will go by quickly and you'll be in recovery before you know it. Most likely wondering what all the fuss was about. You'll love the end result!
@allena
 
I think my hip might ache some worth cold...muscles tighten up especially if shivering...but then they hurt horribly cold or not prior to surgery so...:umm:
 
Dear @allena

I think i may have mentioned it before (but i truly believe) nobody, but nobody could have had more concerns or anxieties regarding this surgery but me. And to be perfectly frank life in general too!

Yet here i am day 5 after having had a new hip with a big smile on my face. Why? Because the relief of having it done is life changing. Well it is for me. My pain is well controlled and i am enjoying having to rest. Such a hardship to boss my husband about, decide which film to watch, or catch up with the Sunday papers. I am actually struggling to find something to feel anxious about, not like me at all.

In no way am i trying to downplay how hard it is too, but, i am getting better each day. I may be walking at a snails pace but my limp (which was really a lurch) has gone. My leg is now straight too.

I don't expect you to believe me, until one has experienced something it is just theoretical. But dare to hope young lady. x
 
@mojo333.I want that too.I'd like to have some idea what normal is other than fuzzy,distant memories.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom