Hip surgery in my future

I doubt it will be that easy.no housework.no bending over.no crossing my legs.so there will be some big changes.if all goes well it will be worth it though.
 
I was worried about exactly the same issues before my first THR. But to be honest your hip just doesn't want to move in certain ways just post op. It won't let you bend or cross your legs until it's healed. And no housework - well isn't it nice to take a break from this for a few weeks?
 
Dear allena,

Just wanted to say how much i admire the steps that you are taking to relieve your anxiety. Hang in there. I have been so stressed in the run up to my op on the 23rd, that today, i just thought i need a day off from stress for good behaviour. So hopefully as you get nearer your op you might have a bit of peace too.
 
You've got this, my kitty cat loving friend!:kittykiss:
 
I will have to since i absolutely must have the surgery done.I have three goals 1)don't have a panic attack before the surgery,2)don't climb the walls at the hospital and 3)have a good recovery as possible.I hate hospitals.
 
Not many like hospitals, allena, but they are necessary at times.
You'll only be there a night or two most likely. Only temporary.
Hopefully you have only sweet caring attentive nurses. No Burned Out Old Crabs Allowed! :heehee:
@allena
 
I'll be there about 2 and half days.I'll be checked in monday morning and released sometime on wednesday.One can only hope.It's hard to say at this time.
 
It goes fast, allena, they'll keep you busy with PT and maybe occupational therapy
also. They'll show you how to get in and out of bed and how to get to the bathroom. They'll be in and out of your room administering meds and taking vitals initially. You'll have bathroom breaks, hallway walks, meals and possibly visitors. You may get home and wish you were still there with a call button around your neck :heehee:
@allena
 
That's good to know .I doubt I'll miss the hospital.i will be very tired no doubt.ill have one night of very little sleep-the night before the sugury.and two nights of interuppted sleep.that should be fun.i don't guess they think patients need to rest.will I be able to go to the bathroom by myself or will I need help?
 
I am afraid to hope for 100 percent normal.its very unlikely. I don't want to be dissapointed.if I'm only halfway better I'll be happy.any improvement would be welcome.
My seeming pessimism is realism.i have a bad shoulder.i have a bad left knee.its bone on bone.its nothing compared to my hip,but I can be sure 100 percent is not possible.i hope i am wrong.
 
Last edited:
@allena You might be pleasantly surprised by how much sleep you do get. I too assumed I would hardly sleep the night before surgery but I did. When I mentioned it to a nurse she said that sometimes happens because you’re experiencing relief that the day you’ve waited for is finally here. And although I did get woken several times during the first night I didn’t remember it and had no problem getting back to sleep. I was more aware the second night but was still able to get back to sleep.

As far as going to the bathroom by yourself, I was told to always ring for someone to help you. Because I was nauseous right after surgery I had to use a bedside commode but when PT came in the next morning I was able to use the bathroom.

I don’t know what kind of pain you’re in now with your hip but I can tell you that once they got me up to walk the next morning, that horrible hip pain was gone. What I noticed was a tightness in my leg (from the manipulation they do during surgery) and some incision pain. With the pain medication I was getting, my pain levels were never higher than a 3 and most times a 2. Almost 3 weeks out tomorrow, I have no pain and don’t even feel the need to take Tylenol. I elevate and ice and that’s working fine.
 
i hope so.My pain level is a 8 to a 10 without medecine,mediation,pain cream and exercise.If i am very lucky I can get my pain down to a 5 on average.It can be a 4 for awhile if I'm extremely lucky.If i do a certain meditation i can feel no pain at all for maybe 5 minutes,but its a really nice 5 minutes!sorry to go on there.
 
I am glad you are feeling better.Did you have any bad side effects from the medication?
 
Everyone reacts differently to the pain medication. I was getting a combination of Oxycodone and Tramadol in the hospital. I realized when I got home the Oxycodone was making me feel sleepy and nauseous so I started using just the Tramadol plus Tylenol and I’ve been off of that for the last week. My pain level pre-surgery was an 8 so it was a fantastic feeling to not feel that pain anymore!
 
I walked to the bathroom by myself, with walker of course, within hours of surgery and figured out how to navigate it all, alone, behind a closed door. I also walked up and down the hallway a couple times the day of surgery. So it can be done! I know I'm not the only one who's done this because this is what they have people do at the surgery center I went through. You'll most likely be surprised at what you're able to do, allena. They try to get you moving. I wanted to get moving to see that I was able. I took comfort in that.

You may sleep the night before surgery. I didn't think I would, but I did. I had a quiet little cry, made peace with losing a natural part of my body that served me well for 60 yrs and prayed. My "go to" for comfort. Then I slept.

Try not to assume you won't sleep at the hospital, you don't really know. They don't wake you up all night long either. At least they didn't at the surgery site of my op. A nurse checked my vitals around midnight and let me know they would not be back into the room until morning unless I buzzed them. I then slept soundly for several hours.

Try to think on this - What if everything goes so well that you decide you're next going to address your painful bone on bone left knee? Look at the pain you could walk away from....
@allena
 
Thanks for the information .That is a nice thought .I hope it does go that well.the knee isn't too bad.its never is more than a 5 on the pain scale.still one day it will probably need replaced.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom