Hip surgery in my future

:tada: Wonderful for not a long wait.
Oh won't it be grand to be Finally getting rid of that hip pain.
You will have loads of support on the Healing Side and please know I will be rooting for you!:friends:
 
I won't be allowed to take my cbd oil 2 weeks before the surgery and tylenol is useless.A heating pad is good ,but i can't use it when I'm out and about.Does anybody have any advice about how to control the pain?
also I am wondering how I will deal with the anxiety ?I mostly go for distraction at this point,but when it comes time for the surgery that won't be a option.I have been meditating,doing sitting tai chi and yoga,etc.Is there something i've missed?I can't possibly imagine being calm enough to meditate the morning of the surgery.
The booklet said I would be banned from bending over past 90 degrees,twisting and a few other things for life!How will I ever live a normal life that way?:(I'm not freaking out here,but it does concern me.
 
I wish I knew how to mediate pre-op pain...if we could figure that out we would probably be millionaires ! And alot more people would be putting this surgery off...
The misery I was in is what kept me firm in the decision to get replacements.
I wish I had been involved in meditation or tai chi.
Maybe it would have made me less miserable.
The booklet said I would be banned from bending over past 90 degrees,twisting and a few other things for life!
This is very outdated information, in my opinion.
Ask your OS when you go in for surgery...but this is not how I am living my life.
This is going to be a Good Thing...not a Bad Thing.
 
The cbd oil helps with the pain.its too bad i won't be allowed to take it.maybe I'll be allowed to use pain cream on my hip?I'll ask the doctor's office.
 
I had my THR 18 days ago and everything I was worried about (except for being nauseous after surgery and more medication did help deal with that) has not happened. Everyone is different on how they handle pain. I just acceped it knowing it would eventually be gone after surgery. I dragged myself into work 5 days a week and just told myself you are 1 day closer to relief. This may sound silly but I play mind games with myself because worrying takes up too much time and energy. I told myself it’s normal too worry but I believed with all my heart everything was going to work out OK. I gave myself a certain amount of time (not more than an hour) and then said OK it’s too early to worry, Postpone it until the weekend (my surgery was on a Monday). Saturday came and I tried to finish up getting the apartment ready for my sister-in-laws stay with me and then reality kicked in and I panicked. But again I just repeated my then mantra, the pain will be better after the surgery.

My brother and SIL distracted me enough on Sunday and I was actually shocked I was able to sleep Sunday night. You might surprise yourself, I was much calmer than I thought I would be Monday morning and just tried to play another mind game with myself. I told myself this was just another new life experience, embrace it and try to be aware of the procedures the hospital puts you through. This was my first major surgery and I had no idea what to expect. They gave me something to relax me and that’s the last thing I remember pre-surgery. I don’t really remember being in the recovery room. Next clear memory is being wheeled to my room.

@allena You will get through this OK. Pre-surgery is the hardest time but it is temporary. Post surgery that horrible pain was truly gone and now I could not be more thankful and grateful for my new hip. It is a life changer and oh so worth it!
 
The way that booklet described it I'll be disabled for life,but with less pain.less pain is a improvement i guess.
 
@windsong.my surgury us on Monday too.whats SIL?thanks for the advice.
 
Honestly, I think that booklet is meant to cover themselves from a legal standpoint. If you go to the recovery forum you can read honest recovery stories and be inspired that you will be able to lead a normal life again.
 
SIL is just my shortcut for sister in law which is a pain to type out everytime.
 
@mojo333.I'll tell you how to mediate pain away(for awhile),you do the usual deep breathing and relaxing.then you focus on the pain.this is not the nice part.then you notice yourself noticing the pain then you don't feel it.it lasts awhile after the meditation,but never too long.it's nice while it lasts though!
It takes practise though.all that happens at first is you feel the pain even worse.
 
That is very cool:friends:. Wish you could've been around for me pre-op.
Got any stress relieving meditations?:chinstroke:
Can you do somewhat the same?
Hope you have a good good weekend @allena
 
I like to imagine stress is a cloud then the wind blows it away. Alas I can't always meditate so there is some stress. I hope you have a good weekend too.
 
Disabled for life! :yikes:
How old is that book? That's just crazy. If anything, it gives you back your life.

It sounds like you have some great stress and pain relieving ideas you're putting into practice, allena.
Good for you! Keep practicing and I'll bet they become second nature for you.
Wishes for comfort as you continue to await your date.
@allena
 
It's a new booklet,but it has probably been reprinted many times.i definitely will.I am glad it will make my life better. Eventuly.i figure it will get worse before it gets better,but that's true for many things.l have said it before,but its pertinent to the conversation. I am not looking forward to the limitations and taking all those pills.oh well.for awhile my life will be turned upsidedown.thank goodness it will be temporary.
 
@allena it's a few short weeks of doing things just a bit differently - for a lifetime of pain free living!:happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom