Guest viewing is limited

Hip surgery in my future

I really don't have a lot of faith.i have all kinds of doubts,but I'm hoping it will be ok. I would like to be better. There are,so many things that can go wrong and it's not over and done with.yes I know the odds are good,but not 100 %
 
I was so miserable prior to surgery that I had to have faith in my surgeon and have gotten my life back through this leap of faith.
It does take faith...there are no 100% in life and it is a decision only you can make.
I don't blame you for tending to see the glass half full as you seem to have had your share of health issues.
But you have a pre-made cheering section if you decide to go for it.
 
The decision was made months ago. I don't want to lose my ability to walk and I want the pain to go away. Anything extra would be a bonus.

The surgery will be November 19th if it isn't cancelled. True. Nothing is 100 percent. It's just that this affects my body and health. That's different than other things.
 
We will be there and will be happy to be celebrating your new lease on life.
True, there is discomfort while healing, but Nothing like that horrid hip pain.
Like I remarked before, you have had other trials so you will be One Inspirational Hippy!:egypdance:
 
I hope so. I can probably be that happy one day, maybe even excited? Today is not that day though. Maybe in December, who knows? Pain sucks but a level 5 would not bother me much. It's not bad at all.

I was reading that book I got from the hospital. The recovery period sound In what way?s like a real joy. There was something mentioned that concerns me. Food tasting different. How long does it last? I'm curious.
 
there was something mentioned that concerns me..food tasting different.in way and how long does that last?I'm curious.

Not sure specifically what they are referring to, but in my case, while I was on the good painkillers, I found that eating wasn't all that interesting to me. Nothing tasted like anything I wanted to keep munching on. Things didn't taste different, per se, I just found that I wasn't enjoying them - even stuff I loved. It was like things just tasted dull, and lacked any really flavor or appeal to me.

This didn't last though. Once I was off the opioids, things returned to normal.
 
I see, ok. Thanks for the information. I guess I'll lose weight them.
 
I don't ever recall food tasting different post op. Possibly happens for some, but I'm sure it's only temporary.
Easy weight loss plan if nothing tastes good :heehee:
You're going to do fine, @allena :yes:
 
The surgery was cancelled. He said he might reschedule it later on. I cried a bit but it's for the best. I would have been a lousy patient. Thanks for all the advice and information.
 
@allena Oh dear - why was your surgery cancelled? Can you get another date from your surgeon?
 
Oh no! Why, allena....if you don't mind sharing?
I'm so sorry, difficult to think you're unable to move forward given you're suffering pain.
Wishing you comfort :console2:
@allena
 
It will be ok. I'm used to pain. I wasn't exactly certain I'd be better off anyway. I guess it was my fault. He said it was due to my anxiety. I was definitely scared. No doubt about that. I was supposed to be excited and happy and super positive and I wasn't.

It would not have happened anyway. He said there could be no scratches on my body.not even a microcut. It would have been cancelled no matter what. I always have at least one scratch.

I feel like I wasted my time and yours. I'm glad you all were helped by the surgery. It was not meant to be, that's just how it goes.

He didn't mention rescheduling it. I'm guessing he won't.
 
Consider meeting with another surgeon. I'd like @Josephine to weigh in on all the concern / discussion over scratches from cats. How many cats do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
Josephine has over 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics. I'd really like to see if she can dispel any of your fears or if she suggests you find another surgeon. It's hard to believe...with all of the members who have cats, I've yet to hear this. Additionally you're saying the OS is refusing you surgery due to your anxiety level?
@allena
 
Dear allena,

I am new to this community and having a LTHR in October. I just wanted to say that i completely identify with all your concerns and worries. I have read most of your thread and each time you have expressed an anxiety i totally get it as that is just how my mind works too. Especially the cat thing, i am covered in marks from my cat. So he is getting handled with care from now on!

We are getting some brilliant advice from the other members and the odds are that our surgeries will go well. I don't know about you but i can get totally exhausted from the anxiety and 'what if's'. Anybody would feel anxious having this surgery but if anxiety is an underlying problem anyway it is a double whammy.

I don't know if you have underlying anxiety but what helps me cope with it is thinking of anxiety/problem as a wave. The 'problem' can build up and get much bigger, but, it always come down if i ride it out and the water is still again. Anxiety is a normal reaction to events/threats, but, sometimes it does its job too well and sees threats when none are there.

I wish you well.
 
:hi:You certainly haven't wasted anyone's time!

I'm sorry that surgery was cancelled but sense maybe you need some time to get okay with it before going forward.
Doesn't mean it can't happen!
Just hate you will have to deal with hip pain in the mean time.

Wishing you a peaceful weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
@Layla. I have 4 cats. Only one scratches me regularly. Yep.that's what I'm saying. He said I was too anxious! What was I supposed to feel? I thought fear and worry before a surgery was normal but what do I know?

@Ginny12 I don't have general anxiety. It's very specific. I only get it when I'll be put to sleep, be a patient in the hospital and to a much lesser degree get a shot or blood drawn or have any test done that will be painful. Otherwise I'm fine. I will hold a snake. If a spider gets on me I'll knock him off me etc.

@Mojo333 I'm going to see a counselor but I doubt he can help. I don't see how my problem can be fixed. Talking about it doesn't help. I'm not too worried about the pain. To me a level 5 is a blip on the pain scale. I have been in pain so long that it's hard to remember what it was like to live without it. The thing that worries me is the hip popping out. That's the bad thing.

Why bother with another surgeon? Won't he say I'm too anxious too? I'll still have cat scratches so it will never happen.

I guess I am just special though not in a good way.
 
Hi allena,
My heart goes out to you in your anxiety. It has to be crippling. I don't know what your meetings have been like with the surgeon that he's decided he won't perform the surgery.

The facts are, you don't know what your post op pain would be like. Nor can you predict you'd suffer a Dislocation, nor can you assume you'll make it back home the next time you leave for the day. We take chances in life sometimes in an effort to have a better existence. If you feel suffering with the pain is a better option than taking a chance on losing it and having a better life, that's your choice. Keep in mind though that some members have suffered collapse of their deteriorating hip and that is supposedly an unfavorable experience. Not sure if you're willing to risk that happening, or not. You may want to give that some thought and consider locating a surgeon you trust who's able to dispel some of your fears. I wish you the best moving forward.
@allena
 
I get what you're saying. It would be useless to go to another surgeon. As I mentioned before, I will always have scratches on my body. It won't matter who I go to. I was told in no uncertain terms by my rheumatologist it will pop. It was crippling. I felt like I might not survive the surgery or maybe die of a complication. The whole process is scary, drawn out and aggravating. At least I know now it isn't really a possibility. I learned something. It was a great life lesson.
 
Another surgeon might have a more realistic attitude toward having minor scratches going into surgery. Frankly your current surgeon does not sound the least bit kind and I would be walking away from that one. Many of us on the board have cats and had no problem going into surgery. Of course you are anxious about it. Any surgeon who disregards this is quite heartless.
 
Dear allena,

That's brilliant that you don't have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), i do and it is a massive bore to put it mildly. I can honestly say that various forms of therapy have helped me a lot with my anxieties. I am in a much better place than i was even five years ago.

I don't know if you have tried Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) or Hypnotherapy but i recommend both highly for any anxiety. The beauty of the internet is that there are tons of free resources pertaining to them and they can be tried out at home.

If you are interested you could Google Brad Yates and EFT (a type of tapping of various points on the body) and he talks thru a session. It may sound a bit Woo Woo but it can really calm the nervous system down pretty much straight away.

I realize that the above may not be for you and forgive the unsolicited advice. You have had so much to deal with no wonder you feel anxious about health matters.

Good luck
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom