Hip surgery in my future

I'm not advising to use a heating pad in bed overnight, or use it in bed if you think you may fall asleep, unless it has an auto shut off. Mine did have an auto shut off but in all honesty I don't really trust that feature. I used it for comfort while laying in bed as I watched tv. in those last weeks leading up to surgery. I always turned it off when I felt I was getting sleepy and left it by my hip as it held heat for a short time afterward.
 
Unfortunately you sound like you were where I was pre surgery.
I have no help but piles of sympathy.:console2:
No sleep, frustrating chronic pain, and by the time I got a diagnosis and my surgery was scheduled I really WAS ready for RELIEF!:xmark:

Hope you are able to bump it up...I'm sorry you are hurting.

Thank goodness hip replacement can eliminate this misery!
 
There was a misunderstanding.The pre op visit was rescheduled till november 2nd,but they didnt tell me that.They said they sent a letter.I guess it got lost in the mail.on the posative side i got a short version of the hip class.It feels good to know more than i did.a few things did spook me though.they said if there were any scratches on my body the operation will be cancelled.the same goes for rashes.I have cats-they scratch me from time to time!I have lupus-i have a permanent,but harmless rash on my face and arms.It's not going away.if they cancel it I will have to wait till febuary.febuary!My hip might well pop out before that happens!it's very close to it as it is.I am not feeling so confident that this will work out.There are worse things than having to use a wheelchair.:(
 
It's going to come...I know it seems forever.
There are much better things awaiting you than a wheelchair.
You are going to be SO happy to have this done and over with!
You will do great!
 
@mojo333.I wish i was so confident.I am wondering if im not meant to be disabled.How can I possibly avoid being scratched by cats?How can I get rid of my lupus rash?I can't.It will be cancelled for sure!
 
allena, it's difficult to see you so tortured by all of these negative thoughts.
None of us know what will happen to us from day to day, but it's not healthy, nor productive to
imagine all of the worst case scenarios. Just try to roll with it all.

If you're worried about the rash, call your doctor and ask about it and mention your concerns about possibly getting scratched by your cat. I'm sure they can offer you reassurance and you'll have to believe them and let it go. It's out of your control if your surgery gets canceled for a legitimate reason. The chances of that happening are slim to none. And if it does get canceled, you'd just have to live with it and move forward.

Wishing you peace of mind.
@allena
 
@layla.the rash doesn't worry me in the least.It's harmless.It's just ugly.It's caused by my body lacking a certain protein and any sun exposure causes it.I could get rid of it if I never went out in the day or wore a ugly black robe and veil like muslim women do.It is a rash and the lady said no rashes.
that is true.I have no control.I am glad to know it's rare to have a surgury cancelled.
 
she did say any scratches -even little ones.You were told something different?If so i would like to know what you were told.
 
I don't recall any specifics about scratches. It may have been mentioned when I
went to my appt with a nurse at the surgery center where my op took place, one week before my surgery, or in the literature I was sent home with.
I don't have a cat so it wasn't a concern for me. I do recall I was advised not to shave my legs for a number of days before surgery, how many, I don't remember exactly. Not more than a few though.

There are many, many cat owners who have experienced THR. I've yet to read a post of anyone saying surgery was canceled due to a scratch from a cat. I'm not saying it hasn't ever happened. I'm only saying I've never read it here.
@allena
 
I am wondering if im not meant to be disabled.
I certainly don't think so!
Unless you are resigned to it.
Sounds like you have to deal with lupus so you have got to be a fighter.
Medical technology has been finding new solutions for age old issues every day.
Sorry for having to deal with that rash but your OS will just want to know that it isn't due to infection.
Surely that will be taken into consideration.

I would keep cats from scratching me to make sure I could get the surgery that will make me mobile and out of pain.
So much of this is a mind game...deciding to do all we can to get our life back...
Hope you haven't given up on getting better...
 
@mojo333.I haven't given up .I am just not too confident.Yes,I am .Lupus is a hard thing to deal with.Not getting scratched by a cat is easier said than done.It happens sometimes no matter what.I can be scratched less,but the only way i can completely avoid it would be to get rid of the cats.That's not a option.
 
I've decided it will be ok no matter what.If I dont get to have the surgury then so be it.if i do I will have to hope for the best.What will be,will be.
 
Thata Girl! That's the attitude you need to have, allena.
Just take it day by day and hope for the best.
The rest will take care of itself. Just know we're here to support you along the journey.
I'm sure everything will fall into place as planned and you'll be okay!
@allena
 
I have 2 cats and managed to have 2 THRs without any delays or cancellations. Please don't let staff intimidate you. The person who is banging on about cat scratches does not sound like a cat lover. Thus her negative comment. Just be careful for now. You know what stimulates your feline friends to best to avoid that activity with them until after your op.
 
thank goodness!I'm glad !:)
she scared me to death when she said that.I'd rather have my hip dislocate than give up my cats.
 
Keep the faith, @allena
We want you better!:console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom