Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip #2 17 months later

So what’s new? Today I put on my leggings without any assistance, no grabber. Woo hoo.

I’m at the point where I’m forgetting my Tylenol, but need it especially after a 15 minute walk on the treadmill.

So I keep reminding myself by using Alexa.

Before my hip issues, I followed a pretty strict meal and workout program and I started back up on Monday, and I have to say, I feel incredible. Of course I have to modify my exercise, but following the meal plan alone has made an impact. I’m so much less bloated, ladies, you understand this especially those in my age range.

Getting back to my routine has helped so much with my healing process. I am sleeping through the night, for the past 2 nights. I didn’t even take Tylenol pm last night. I’m walking on the treadmill, I like that better than using the cane. Speaking of, I’m going to go do that now before my work day starts.
 
Glad to hear your update. Still need help on the operated side for socks and to tie my shoe but I have always been fairly inflexible in my hip joint, so not surprised. Glad the treadmill is working well for you. So good to hear your diet has helped with how you feel, everything counts. I can imagine you must be glad to be past day 17 with your prior experience. Keep on plugging. Sounds like your recovery is going extremely well!
 
Great update. Happy to hear you're getting back to routine.
 
Hi everyone. I'm 12 months after my THR left leg. Surgery was on 10 November 2022. I've had lots of issues after my surgery so I sympathise with you. It took a while to get back to side sleeping so my husband moved to the spare bed as soon as I could get up by my self.
 
@Jenntee that was nice of him. My hubby slept through me getting up. I’m getting quieter and quieter.

I’m taking extra, extra precautions this time to heal. I wish I journaled better here, I forget when I started side sleeping again.
 
Saturday Nov 4 - As much as I wanted to get my 2nd hip done In September. I’m happy that October has been a really non busy month. No parties or sports. I don’t really need anything other than food, and I get that delivered. My goal was to purposely not be as active as I was with my 1st hip.

This time 1st hip, I was recovering, scared to death from the dislocation on day 18.

It’s taken longer for me to walk unassisted, I took a little more time off from work, and the weather is keeping me under control. . I moved my 1 month visit a few days early so I can get the X-ray before my air travel on the 13th. If I’m not walking well without the cane outside, I’m planning on canceling. I don’t need to drive any where, I’m traveling with colleagues, I should be good to go, but I want to make sure. I already discussed this with my dr. And nurses and they are more than comfortable with me traveling as long as I feel good about it.

I just walked 25 minutes on my treadmill, I love this thing. I followed slow impact Peloton treadmill workout and of course I went much slower than the instructor. I was able to do 3 mph for short spurts. 2.5 felt really comfortable.

Ok off to make breakfast. Have a great Saturday.
 
I was experiencing problems with my other leg recently which lead to my right foot swelling up. My surgery was on the other leg but no one told me that it would take so long to allow my body to readjust. If I'm honest I haven't been able to walk properly for years. Anyway I'm doing well. I fixed my right leg problem by using a bedcage to keep the covers off my legs which means I sleep better and no more swelling. It's only a suggestion but it might help someone else
 
@Jenntee. Welcome to BoneSmart. Why don't you start your own recovery thread. That way, more members will read your story and you will be able to share recovery tips. If you need help getting started, take a look here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 20.

Good morning and happy Sunday. Drinking my fav coffee, crème brûlée, thinking about my progress.

I drove yesterday. Yay. I went to Ross (discount store) bought new pillows, some clothes & some cute storage boxes. Then stopped at the local thrift store(Salvation Army), I found the cutest leather dress, I’ll wear it to a holiday party.

Hubby and I went to dinner with our friends, it was nice to socialize. I felt normal. I did bring my cane, because it was Saturday and crowded.

This morning I was able to feed our cats and clean their box. Of course, carefully.

I haven’t needed to ice or take acetaminophen. I will if I need to, as I continue to progress.

Sunday plans, do a peloton treadmill workout, of course at my current level. Watch the Kansas City football game this am, they are playing in Germany. Go to the store and pick up some groceries for Sunday dinner, and get ready for the Eagles game at 4:30pm. Hopefully my son stays for dinner before heading back to college. I really miss him.

What are your Sunday plans? Hope you continue to have a great recovery Sunday. One day at a time.
 
I will say, you may make some new hippies jealous with all of this "normal" activity.
Recovery seems to be going very well for you and the fact that you're feeling good enough for no meds this morning after yesterdays activity is wonderful! Fingers crossed your son stays for dinner. What is it about sons and moms? I cherish time with my adult son also. :loveshwr:
Enjoy the day! @dnordo220
 
@Layla by no means should anyone be jealous. I’m only walking. I have the safety clip on and I’m holding onto the rails. I probably walk faster outside.

I’m restricted myself only to walking.

******PSA. Don’t try this on your own without consulting your doctors.

I might be at a higher level of fitness than the average 55 year old.

My only hope for everyone is to take it slow and each day you will start to feel “your normal”.

My normal includes kick boxing, box jumps and 50+ mile bike rides. And I am no where near there. That will not be happening any time soon.

We love our sons !
 
Last edited:
If I had to try and reach the cat's liter box right now, I think I'd die lol guess there's one advantage to slower recovery :heehee:

But it sounds like you're having a good time otherwise. Enjoy your weekend. I'll be dragging my husband to the nearest walking trail, so I can push my walker around for 30 mins somewhere with a view.
 
I have two sons and two daughters. The girls are independent and getting on with life, one son is married and the other lives close by. They're around frequently and we speak most days. There is something about mothers and sons definitely.

Hope you spend time together.

Your progress sounds like you're doing really well which is fantastic. I think pre surgery fitness helps you recover more quickly as muscle mass plays an important part in recovery.

Yesterday was Sunday and we stayed home but tomorrow (Tuesday) is the Melbourne Cup (horseracing),
A public holiday and we're having friends over to watch the race and place a few bets.

I think I'll be very tired as I've been cooking and preparing for a big day. Really looking forward to it.
 
@Goma that sounds so fun. Is that all day? We used to have a race track locally, I’m not sure why it closed.

My son stayed for dinner and we watched our team win by the hair of their chinny chin chin, American football,
 
Sounds fantastic. Love close games eventhough they're sooooo stressful.

The race on Tuesday is one of the most prestigious races in the world, many of the finest horses come from many countries to compete. . It's the richest 2 mile handicap in the world with a prize pool of 8 million AUD. The program is a day of high paying races so a huge event. Up to 100,000 people attend.

We usually go but not this year.
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom