THR Hip #2 17 months later

I was extra cautious with this hip. This hip was different. Much more swelling, so it kind of forced me to take it easy, ice and take my meds. I can’t usually sit still.

Not being able to do what I normally do has tested me, but I’m glad I took a much more conservative approach his time.

My body is telling me to start adding more activity in. So I am.
Smart. I was very conservative with my first and will be again. I'm sorry you had some hiccups along the road with hip one. I tell myself "slow and steady wins the race". It IS boring. I remember at my six week check up, they told me to walk only in water and not around the block bc they didn't want my gait to get used to a limping walk. I was so depressed the following week. Seriously. I cried and then questioned what I did. I listened to them. Two weeks ago, I did yardwork with my hubby, and I was at 16,000 steps at the end of each day. My left had me in tears. The right had soft tissue tenderness that resolved with rest. I wouldn't go do that many steps daily in general, and I still wouldn't go on walks due to my limp, BUT, I was shocked at the end of each day, that I was okay and my right side help up like that 4.5 months after hip one.

I hope you continue to be conservative with slowly adding in activity. You may have said this before, but do you have any restrictions? I have two for 6 weeks with my anterior.
 
@Kritterkiddo i dislocated my left hip last year, I think it was day 18. Which is why I’m being so EXTRA cautious.

I healed so fast on the outside. Within 2 weeks I was back to normal. No swelling, no discomfort, full movement. I accidentally stretched, pivoted and didn’t pick up my foot. You know the kind of stretch movement when you’re trying to adjust. ( dont do that ) And bam . Luckily, the ER put it back in place. It wasn’t fun.

I was given 0 restrictions. I’m very much into fitness and very flexible. Even at the age of 53 I was able to do back flips. I’m kind of bummed I can’t do that anymore. lol.
 
@springs12 the only restriction is high impact. So no kick boxing, no jogging, no elliptical. What were your restrictions ?
 
@dnordo220 I have a hip preservationist, and he has very specific guidelines because all his patients are on the younger side and he doesn't want us to overdo it. I see you are not 45, but you are certainly in still younger years for a hip replacement. What I read in his literature is that most patients feel better around 3 months, and they are really glad they did it around 6 months. That 3 month mark was very true for me. I'm not quite to six months, but I am glad I did it, and I'm glad I did my left yesterday. I have a long story, and I can tell this is what I needed to do in order to help my body function at its best.

The first two weeks, we only do bed exercises and are told to get up to use the bathroom, sit with the family for a bit in a recliner as tolerated, and use a walker with no wheels to keep us moving slow and not to overdo it. I rented a game ready machine, which is the most glorious machine bc is compresses and ices every 30 minutes. I love it.

Aside from that, I"m can't twist my foot in an outward motion and I can't extend my operative leg back. Cane discussion happens at the 2 week appointment, and even then it is cane in the house and walker outside for another week. I tried to go on walks outside, and I was told not to, and to water walk instead. I started slow and worked my way up to 45 minutes. That was extremely therapeutic and the best thing to make me feel like I was moving. I slowly increased my help around the house even in small chunks. I made cookies for my kids and my husband took care of the oven. I would cut things for dinner. But the moment I felt fatigued or my leg was tired, I sat and iced immediately and took it easy the rest of the day. I also didn't drop the cane fully until 9 or 10 weeks. I really wanted to, but mentally I needed to keep it, and it helped me with not overdoing things and not sore when I walked. I didn't drop it just for the sake of not wanting it (trust me, I wanted to be a badass and say I was done with it....haha).

That's a lot more info than I was planning on typing. Maybe I am reminding myself right now. Haha
 
Thanks @dnordo220. PT & Doc have showed me the position to avoid where the operated leg is behind me. Also stretching out to the side, so I stay pretty well centered. I even do the PT gingerly just in case.
So glad you were able to get through it!!
 
@springs12 your program sounds great. My dr is not really hands on. The nurse called me 2x. I have an online portal and I log in to see what it says. Even when my hip dislocated they were like” sometimes that happens.“. This hip, I took it really slow. Even today I was walking and maybe a little too fast so I stopped and just did some marching, stretched it out and then when a little bit slower, I am not looking for a sprint.

My husband had his first hip done in his 40s. His x-ray showed that he had some type of trauma to his hips when he was a tween. And of course arthritis sets in.

When looking back, I probably needed to get a hip x-ray in 2015, I was 47. After I did a 55 mile bike ride for MSI had extreme pain and limited hip mobility. I thought it was my back. I went to PT. They never x-rayed my hip. It did start to get better, but I did have problems often on and always thought it was my back. Fast forward to 2021, I was on vacation with my son and friends for his senior graduation and he and I were doing backflips off of a boat into the water the next day I couldn’t walk and I thought it was my back again. I finally went to the doctor and, his examination said, let me get some x-rays of your hip. And that’s when we confirmed it and a schedule the surgery and never look back even with the dislocation. I am really happy I can walk. I had to say that my hips did not prevent me from doing other things, but walking is essential.

I feel like that growing up in the 70s and 80s could have had some impact on my hips. Running on the blacktop playground in unsupported sneakers step aerobics lol. I was a runner and a gymnast, and a big gym enthusist.

I also wonder whether or not my pregnancies had anything to do with it my first pregnancy my son was stuck and I pushed for 2 1/2 hours, and then when they finally did a cesarean section they had to wedge him out. He didn’t even have a big head. I just didn’t open up so it could’ve started then, who knows?
 
I also wonder whether or not my pregnancies had anything to do with it my first pregnancy my son was stuck and I pushed for 2 1/2 hours, and then when they finally did a cesarean section they had to wedge him out. He didn’t even have a big head. I just didn’t open up so it could’ve started then, who knows?
I was the same way. Two babies. Two C-sections. Neither kid dropped, and I never really dilated. Hip issues can cause problems with a tight pelvic floor. My dysplasia made my pelvic floor try to take on my stability. Those itty bitty muscles have struggled for a while! Crazy what our bodies do!
 
Almost 5 weeks. I need to remind myself that as I heal, and get stronger that it might feel like I took a step backward. But it’s my body adjusting to my new mobility. I forget that it’s been 2 1/2 years since I was able to walk normally. For the 2nd time this week, my new old hip ( hip #1 ) feels off and made me limp for a day.
I keep forgetting that hip didn’t have a chance to really get back to “normal”.

So for the 2nd time this week, I’m doing a stretching recovery workout. And wow that feels so good.

The bruising that never appeared, started to show on the outside of the bottom of my right leg. I didn’t see it or feel it before today. Has that happened to anyone else?

So Sunday is a recovery day, Tylenol and stretching and I’m making myself a nice breakfast. I was going to box, but nope, i’m listening to my body. Chilling it is.
 
You probably shouldn't be boxing 5 weeks after. Punches are all hip rotation.

I hope a recovery day gets you back on your feet! Enjoy your Sunday breakfast:mcoffee:
 
@Hotchocolate thanks for the well wishes, the recovery stretches did the trick. I was cleared to box. Im only doing 4 rounds and modifying. Picking up those feet. I have a standing bag, not a swinging bag. Fightcamp. All easy moves. It’s fun. Being super careful.
 
Happy Thanksgiving! I’m thankful for this group, last year it pulled me through a tough period. I love how everyone, especially the staff shares information that is exactly what is needed for each member.

Had a great outing with friends last night for dinner, and now off to another great day with family and more friends later.

Have a wonderful day !
 
I keep forgetting that hip didn’t have a chance to really get back to “normal”.
I did really well with my PT 6 weeks post my right hip. He helped me with horrific back pain and eventually I was able to drop my cane with no problems. At some point he focused on my left hip...kind of doing some pre-hab. He asked me how I felt about my right hips healing, and I told him I felt like it was as far as we were going to be able to get it bc the left was holding it back. Your story reminds me of that feeling.
 
6 weeks ! Wooo Hooo. Everything is good. There’s really nothing I can’t do. I’m still being cautious, but adding more and more back into my routine.

Hope everyone is progressing well.
 
That is such a great update! A few days behind you and 10 years older means I am still working on my gait and endurance. Enjoy your new hips!!
 
That's great. 6 weeks is so early but knowing you can do so much more each week is life-changing.

Very happy for you:flwrysmile:
 
@mature mama @Goma 6 weeks is early? I’m sure it varies from person to person. And now that I have two good hips, I’m sure that was helpful in my recovery on top of being very strong and fit.

I am not resuming any of my prior high level activities until I hit 12 weeks, No running, spinning or kick boxing. Anything that puts pressure on my hips is out, no regular push-ups, no deep squats or jumps.

I’m being very cautious. Very Very cautious. I pinky promise.
 
Last edited:
[Bonesmart.org] Hip #2 17 months later

six weeks is early....
You seem to be trying to be mindful, so keep it all slow and steady.
These are our forever hips once we heal.:fingersx:
 
I can't do backflips either... but I couldn't before surgery either:heehee:
I can do cartwheels and I am walking, hiking, 4 wheeling, SLEEPING - great Range of motion - and all without that chronic hip pain.

Christmas will be Sweet.
:banana-santa:
 
Back
Top Bottom