THR Hip #2 17 months later

Going Back to Work so soon - wow. I was ok but a bit non compos mentis that 2nd week.
I did a few hours of project work but sitting for very long was kind of a chore (everything was "kind of a chore")

Shows:
Netflix' "Beef" - karma studies
New season Black Mirror - very seasonally appropriate
Amazon/freevee Naked City (the old ones) - time travel to mid 20th century
 
@nasruddin Beef was so good. I love Black mirror — ooo Naked City sounds fun.

Regarding work, I agree I’m not sitting all day. I already gave a heads up that I’m not sitting all day.

It was nice not doing anything this week, I rarely get to do that. I hate playing catch up, so tomorrow will be emails all day and asking my team to catch me up.
 
Good morning! I slept through the night, so I decided to work today, my calendar is very light today, only 4 meetings today, I am on the east coast, and most of my team is on the west coast, so I can catch up on emails this morning.

I have transitioned to the cane. And I dressed myself with the help of my cane and grabber. Yay.

The bandage comes off today, I have not decided what time I will be taking that off, probably tonight. I remember last time the adhesive stuck to one of the stitches and that was a little painful. I won’t do that again.

Let’s do this ! Have a great day, it’s the afternoon for some of you already. Hope you had a good morning.
 
Good luck, dnordo! I certainly hope this isn't too much for you to take on so soon. :fingersx:
You'll have to let us know how it goes.
May the bandage come off without sticking and the incision look good!
Happy Monday!
@dnordo220
 
I made it ! Taking an early day today. I made sure Alexa would remind me every hour to get up. I walked today with just my cane for about 15 minutes. That was about a half of a mile. my mom was with me, the weather is pretty nice here today in southern New Jersey. I don’t think I’m going to go for another walk today.

I just took my bandage off and the incision looks good. It’s a little crooked. My left incision has a nice straight line.

Time to ice, elevate, and get ready to watch the Phillies hopefully win!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hip #2 17 months later
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 66
  • [Bonesmart.org] Hip #2 17 months later
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Day 3 of week 2 - still using my cane, especially for walks and steps. But I am able to ambulate with out it from room to room. I can dress myself with the help of my grabber. I bought a bunch of leggings with flare legs to make life easier. lol.

My ankle has been a little swollen, it wasn’t before, my thigh swelling is going down. My knee area is sore and achey, I recall reading in various posts that the swelling moves down and all over. I do remember have different pains or sensations from the last hip.

As much as as I’d like to be pain med free, I’m using as needed. I like the tramadol, but it makes me tired. The oxycodone makes me woozy and nauseated, but 1/2 of a 5mg seems to work perfectly.

Day 3 back to work, catching up and energy level is good. I can take breaks thought out the day and spread out my work. Tonight I’ll review resumes for some new contract work.

The Phillies lost, boooo. Now we focus on the Eagles.

Have a great day everyone.
 
I am still wearing comfy clothes. I am wondering if I am going to have to replace all of my pants for work. Did your first hip mind snugger pants?
 
I work remote and last year just wore shorts with a blouse for video meetings or a swimsuit lol, til it was healed, but I was able to wear my clothes. It took about 6 weeks for the swelling to go down. Surgery 6/25 by Sept 1 was able to wear jeans. I can wear leggings now, it doesn’t hurt.
 
Thanks- mine has been sensitive to everything. I need to try my regular pants. It has been super easy to wear leggings at home, casual dress to doctor’s, etc. I have swelling and have worried that they may not fit. Recovery has even made me consider changing hair styles.
 
Day 4 of Week 2 -

Woke up at 2am, had to tinkle, had some discomfort and took a tramadol. Hubby snoring away. Woke up at 6am, took a shower got dressed by myself, felt a little woozy, maybe from the tramadol, asked hubby to standby in case I needed him. I didn’t really eat too much yesterday trying to slowly get back to my regular eating habits, maybe that is why I felt a little woozy.

I can ambulate without the cane now, but I’m still have it close by in case I need it. Still taking all the necessary precautions.

Came downstairs, took my medication and then asked my hubby to take a walk with me. I’m walking, at a little faster pace. It only took me five minutes instead of 7 1/2 to get to the corner. Progress.

Having my cup of coffee, before I get online for work. I’m feeling better each day.

Oh, I bought a treadmill on Facebook marketplace last night because once the weather gets cold, I don’t like to walk outside. It was a really good deal only $50 and I looked it up online. It’s a $1500 treadmill. The seller just wants it out of his house. My hubby is going to pick it up tonight. I’m excited about that.

I don’t know where I’m going to put it because, my gym in the basement is kind of full, it has a boxing bag, weights, elliptical and a spinning bike. I might need to fold up the elliptical for a while because in one of my instructions I read to hold off doing the elliptical for a while.

Have a great day everyone.
 
Wow! What a deal on that treadmill! I have a love hate relationship with mine. Hubs and I purchased it many years ago for the same reason you mentioned, the inclement winter weather, but I find it too easy to use it as opposed to getting ready to walk outdoors, or drive to a location that's nice for a walk. It saves me time many days.

Taking only five minutes to walk a distance that took you seven and a half minutes just days ago is wonderful progress!

I hope today is a good one, dnordo. I like your new avatar!
@dnordo220
 
Day 6 of week 2-
Feeling closer and closer to normal. Slight thigh swelling, ankle swelling is almost gone. Slight bruising showing around the outside of the knee, barely noticeable.

Other than bending down to pick something up, there is nothing I can't do. I’ve gotten very good at being

Staying 100% aware of y movements so not to twist.

We are headed to the beach house, it’s going to be a beautiful day. Looking forward to a stroll by the bay. I’m still using my cane as security and support because I dint want to walk lopsided. I can walk without it but only if I am marching and that looks funny outside. lol.

Looking forward to a change in scenery. Have a good weekend everyone.
 
I am so jealous of you heading to the beach! Today is supposed to 80 and I would have definitely day tripped to Spring Lake if not for day 9.

Love your new pic and the pic of your family! Sounds like you are making great progress.
 
So good that you're not stiff.
That's the best when you notice that the things that convinced you to go for surgery are now suddenly pain free. What a revelation.

Have a relaxing time and enjoy.
 
Happy Sunday !

Yesterday was a great day ! My hubby and I had breakfast at a restaurant and I had a mimosa. I haven’t taken any pain meds and as of today still no need. We went to the beach for the day, I am in walking distance. I have a great high chair and enjoyed the sun with our “shore friends”. We then went to dinner and of course I had to stop in the new skecher store. I thought I might have overdone it, but I’m feeling ok today. I iced after dinner and went to bed early. Sleeping still stinks because I’m a side sleeper. I tried the pillow side sleeping trick but it wasn’t comfortable. Last hip I remember I tried that and the day I dislocated I woke up and my leg was not supported. So I’m not doing that, I’ll suffer back sleeping for a few more weeks.

We are heading home now. Eagles play at 1pm. My gf invited us over to watch the game and have dinner.

I have not driven yet. Wondering how long it takes to drive using your operated leg. I plan on waiting at least another week or 2.
[Bonesmart.org] Hip #2 17 months later
 
Last edited:
Wow, looks just beautiful! Yesterday was incredible. Today not so much. I enjoyed hours out on my front porch and got to visit with some of my neighbors.

I am wondering about driving with my right hip replacement also. I was able to drive around 3 weeks after my right total knee replacement. Not sure if that will happen with my hip but we will see. My 17 year old is thoroughly enjoying full access to my car, runs errands and could take me places if I needed. So there is that.

Glad you are enjoying such a great weekend. Enjoy the football!!
 
Back
Top Bottom