BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hi Ho Hi Ho....

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by gillycat11, Jan 23, 2018.

1. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes @MammaT, it's funny, on a day by day basis there doesn't seem much change but with each month that passes, in fact sometimes each week that passes, I can look back and see improvements, some just tiny little ones and others much bigger.

Smiling more. Crying less. It's been 3 weeks since I said , "don't know why I had this done!"
    Definitely feels more like me than my imagined alien thing sitting where my own hip used to be - waiting to burst out or dislocate at any minute.
    Still smiling after another full day at work- not hurting and even swam 50 lengths after work this evening.

• Like Like x 3
  2. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

United States United States
    That's a decent length swim whether you've had a hip replacement or not! My son was a swimmer (I just sink) and loved swimming distance so I've counted those laps before.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a nice update @gillycat11
    Especially...smiling more, crying less and no longer questioning THR. That's wonderful!
    Hope your weekend is great.
    Happy Easter!

4. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Yes @SaraK, I got into swimming pre-op because I used to run but couldn't because of the pain, and I found it relaxed my muscles and loosened everything up. I had previously hated swimming, but couldn't do much else and wanted to maintain fitness and weight. I am a bit of a chocolate, crisps and sweet addict and I hate diets.
    I can calculate how many lengths equal a Mars bar, bag of jellies or biscuit any day!
    The swimming has grown on me and I have used it as part of my post op recovery for both my physical and mental well-being.
    I had a pre THR goal to complete an open water swimming event but had virtually written that off when I was told I needed a new hip, but my post op physiotherapist said there was no reason I couldn't, even with the new hip.
    So I'm building up the distances, have a 1 mile open water swim event in June and have even ordered my wetsuit!

• Like Like x 3
  5. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

For the 2nd time today - You go, girl!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

Wow that’s a brilliant goal. I have no doubt you can do it :swim:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Layla

So....Enquiring minds want to know, how many Mar's bars will that one mile open swim cover? :rotfl:

What a great goal @gillycat11 Good for you! You know we'll be cheering you on :yay: :yes!:

Wishing you a wonderful weekend :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yay for you. Hope your weekend is sweet:swim:
    :happydance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Well, @Layla, according to my investigation, in the pool I'd use up one Mars bar approx, but I reckon I'd use more out in the cold with the waves. Even if I don't I think I would have an overwhelming feeling of entitlement if I manage to pull it off!
    Just when I thought I could put away the shoe horn, the wetsuit arrived. Boy is it tight! Its virtually a total body work out to get it on! So unforgiving!Every lump and bump shows and those two bumps I might wish to show are squashed nearly flat!
    Note to self- after the Easter eggs- the diet starts!
    Having a quiet family Easter. On Good Friday I drove the hour and a half each way to meet up with my daughter and her fiancé and do some shopping. The hip held up no problem. No way I could have done that with my old one!:yahoo:
    On a more frustrating note, visited my 87 year old mum today.
    She isn't in the best of health, but doesn't seem to do anything to help her situation. She's diabetic and doesn't stick to her diet, has heart and Bp problems but won't do even the gentlest exercises advised by the physio, and had both knees replaced ( the 2nd one over 25years ago) and is unsteady on her feet but but doesn't use her stick or walker. As a result she's had several falls. When we try to persuade, advise or even order her to do what the medical team advise her, she refuses.

The thing is- I think she likes the fight, enjoys the attention, and doesn't care what anyone thinks! But its so frustrating! Its like having another child in the family!
    Having just started to really feel the benefits of my hip replacement, I should be helping my daughter with the wedding plans and getting out and about enjoying it. I find I get so annoyed that she puts herself in danger and expects us to run round after her when things go wrong. Then I feel guilty for getting annoyed. :tantrum2:.

To everyone out there, a Happy Easter and a special blessing to all of you with unwell or recuperating loved ones.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Mojo333

Very sympathetic to the situation with your Mom.
    I am on exactly the same adventure with my father and to some extent my sister (she is also diabetic)
    I am reminded by some friends, here and closer, that we never know how long we will have the People we love, But I have to constantly remind myself that my dad IS getting older and suffering health problems and changes and his defiance to changes and restrictions is exasperating to say the least.
    I feel like I also need to retain some boundaries in order to not be so resentful and to spend the time I want with my adult children too...which he seems to have no interest in.
    I am far from having it worked out..guilt creeps on me constantly no matter what I do.
    My DH keeps me from allowing little things to be what I will dwell on should something happen
    "How much inconvenience will this be if he died tonight?" He says.
    I just want to hit him when he's pragmatic like that.
    We continue to work this life thing out, don't we?
    Hope you have a Good week.
    I survived and did enjoy my day, despite all the family drama.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Yes @Mojo333, Olds we love them to bits but sometimes it's hard to be with them!
    I think a big problem with my mum is that since my dad passed, 4 years ago she has lived on her own, is fiercely independent and set in her ways. She doesn't say that it would be inconvenient if she died - just that if she did, she'd be with my dad. She can't seem to understand how upsetting it is for me, my brother and our families.
    Hoping you have a better week too. Wishing you strength to contend with your family too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mojo333

:friends:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Layla

I hope you had a nice Easter @gillycat11
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations and worries with your mom. In many ways I can relate.
    It's next to impossible to think they'll change in their 80's. All we can do is try to stay sane through it all :heehee:
    Take time to smell the roses and do some of the things that bring you joy. Like practicing for your June swim
    and helping your daughter with her wedding plans. We can only do so much for our parents.
    Hope your week is peaceful! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Well this week's been busy busy busy.
    After the Easter break, back to work with a vengeance. Was sort of eased in at the beginning of week, with a mix of clerical and clinical, but last 2 days were all clinical and boy were we busy? On my feet all day. Feet hated it.
    Hip was "odd". Sort of went warm to touch and felt warm inside too. Jokingly said it was friction from rushing around so much but in reality have no idea what it was, or if it was a strange ache, or even not a thing at all. Anyway it wasn't a proper hurt and was better today which if anything was even busier. Smashing 10000 steps per day, but sadly no swimming this week. will have to get back to that next week.
    Had nice chat and text with daughter yesterday. Initially was all excited because she said she had found a potential wedding dress but when she sent a photo - it was awful! Like a nightie.Not even nice enough for a prom- let alone a wedding. After that we chatted on the phone for ages. It turns out she is terrified of the prospect of shopping for the wedding dress. So we are now trying to arrange time when we are off together to do some serious dress shopping or viewing- to get ideas if nothing else. its hard for her because she moved away for work and is trying to do a lot of the organisation and planning long distance via facebook, texts and email.
    Fair bit of it sorted already, venue, date, catering, photos, but so much still to do. Good job its not til next year.
    In a way it was the wedding that made me get my hip done. When we were looking at venues and decisions were starting to be made about if I could sit on, or get up from the chairs or if I could comfortable ride in a car. It really brought home how much hip pain was defining and controlling my life. I hadn't appreciated how much of my life I was accommodating or compromising for my arthritic hip. But not any more!
    So here I am, improving every week, feeling positive and looking forward to a more active, more comfortable future.
    :spin::egypdance::dancy:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mojo333

Yay for planning a wedding without having to work around "mama's Hip problem".
    :egypdance:
    I too am grateful for all I can now do without worrying about THAT!
    Have a nice weekend...!:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Layla

You're doing great! @gillycat11
    Thriving, back at work, making your 10,000 steps. Yahoo!
    Sounds like your dear daughter wants help from mom in saying yes to the dress.
    Hopefully you're able to pull that off. Planning a wedding via FB, texts and email must be difficult.
    I'll bet in the end it will be beautiful.
    And just think.....instead of worrying about the car ride to the venue, the comfort / discomfort of the seating and whether getting up or down will be difficult...you'll be dancing..Yay! :happydance: :egypdance: :happyfeet::chuckmarch:
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend :loveshwr:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Yes @Layla, recent convert to Say yes to the dress. Must say now addicted. Watching loads of previous episodes on catch up TV.
    Think I managed to find the shoes for her today. Saw them on line and text her a photo. She loved them and has ordered them. Just hope they fit. Turns out she had been wanting help but hadn't wanted to bother me because of my rehab and return to work. Now fully on board with helping and loving it!
    @Mojo333, must be spring because we are all being sheared. Saw in another thread you were getting new hairdo this week. Must be the season for it. Mine styled and coloured today. Feel like a new woman. New hip, new hair, new positive, pain free outlook.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mojo333

Me too!!:egypdance:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Layla

How sweet! @gillycat11
    She's going to love your support and you're going to have fun helping her feel especially beautiful
    on her big day! How kind and considerate of her to be concerned about stressing or bothering you.

I do catch "Say Yes To The Dress" once in awhile. It's hard for me to appreciate because I chose what I wanted and didn't care what anyone thought. With that said I have semi-conservative taste. Not a high neck or baggy but fitted and modestly cut. Need to leave something to the imagination...right? Some of those dresses are crazy! So many times the mother of the bride seems to frown upon what her daughter is attracted to, lol!

Best of luck as you create memories helping your daughter plan her special day. Hope your week is great!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

A Mojo333, it's great to be pain free- or mostly pain free isn't it?
    Feel like a different person- looking back, the problem with my hip had more of a negative impact on my life and quality of life than I had realised at the time. I had been scared of and put off seeking medical help as I had been told repeatedly, " you don't want a hip replacement- you're too young". My experience since my op and since joining Bone smart has shown me that I'm not! No one can tell you what the future holds but I'm enjoying being comfortable now. :flwrysmile:
    @Layla, I think your approach to wedding dress is just fine. Modest cut and not too revealing. Ultimately she's my baby and I want every part of her day to be special. What I hated about her first dress idea was that she was looking only at cost and keeping prices down seemed to be her overriding priority. :bignono:
    Had a weekday day off today so was finally able to do another pilates class- feels like ages ago since I could but its only about 2 weeks. Even that seemed easier today. More mobility through hip and greater range of movement.
    Hip still doesn't like being laid upon on floor even with yoga mat, but today took a gel pad and put that down and it really helped. Best session yet!
    Finally know I am going to be off on Saturday, so was thinking of registering for JRAD. I have one question. Do I need to register with a new password or the one for Bone smart or doesn't it matter?:what:

• Like Like x 1