THR Hi Ho Hi Ho....

6 Months today and oh so different! I've learnt a lot in the past 6 months:-

How my OA was controlling my life, even without me being fully aware of it. Ok I was working full time, walking, swimming and driving, but I was making subconscious decisions based on pain or expectations of pain. Don't sit there- you won't get up; park where people can't see you struggling to get out of the car or see when you seize up trying to get out! And boy did I limp and lean!

I didn't want or expect a THR when I went to see the surgeon. I'm too young! Can't you just do a re-tread or clean it out? :tantrum: - Answer -NO.

The thing is, these surgeons don't undertake hip replacement surgery lightly. As mine said to me 'you can put off til you're older, but wouldn't you rather be pain free now and live your life while you are young enough to get out and enjoy it?' - Hell yes!

How everyone has an opinion - even if they don't know or haven't been through it. Even the health care professionals with whom I work offered well meaning but inaccurate information and advice which only served to scare me or question my decision. Trust your surgeon - if you don't trust his recommendation to have the op or his abilities to care for your needs - he isn't the one to trust pulling your body to bits and reassembling it with new parts!

It hurts! Of course it hurts you are cut, sawn, hammered and chiselled, but the pain is manageable with meds and it gets better with time and healing. I was late to BoneSmart so hadn't been aware of the benefits of ice and elevate :elevate: but its true. It works! I still do it now- particularly after a hard day at work.

The first 2 months were definitely my hardest. I screamed lots about why I did it. I hated it more than life before. I hated hip precautions, hated being dependent on loved ones and being a nuisance, hated sleeping on my back, wanted to wash my own feet and was scared of breaking it, it falling apart, the general loss of self determination and I HATED THE TEDS! Sorry - I know that classes as shouting - But I REALLY HATED THE TEDS!

It took me til my physio appointment at 9 weeks where incidentally I'd cried like a baby and told her I wanted my old hip back, to be told that the joint prosthetic is stronger, safer and less restricting than I'd been imagining, and NO, if I was lying in bed and pulled myself up using my arms without digging my heel in to push, my leg couldn't fall off when it dislocated like a broken Barbie doll. Embarrassed to say, I had worried about that.:heehee:

Another incidence where BoneSmart forum could have helped before the melt down.
That physio appointment was probably THE turning point in recovery. We talked frankly about where I was in my recovery, where I was aiming and set realistic goals on activities, expectations and timelines. I walked out like a new woman and for no other reason than a good talk.

So 6 months since my new hip:-
I've ridden the emotional roller-coaster and survived.
I've discovered the supportive, encouraging and informative community of the BoneSmart community. :friends:
I've realised how debilitated I was before, and learnt to walk again - properly and upright.
I'm back at work full time and really thriving, although I still have some limitations. Last one to get there after the run for the arrest call yesterday but just marginally and breathing down the neck of the fit, healthy younger colleague in front!
I smile and laugh loads more and am generally happier. I'm enjoying life.
:dancy::dancy::wowspring:

Oh and this weekend going wedding dress shopping with my lovely daughter.:SUNsmile:
 
Oh how well you relate My Story..my reaction to surgery, my fear of standing on new prosthetic hips, my revulsion of TEDS...HATED THEM TOO!:heehee:
Also my gratitude, my happiness, my affinity for Bonesmart.
Happy happy 6 month Hipversary!
Hip, hip, Hooray!:yahoo:
 
Happy Six Month Anniversary!
What a beautiful post. You're so honest, relatable and loveable!
I could read that over and over again. I'm sure many can relate to any number of
the feelings you had as well as the thought process. I know I can. Thanks for taking us down that
path. It's a reminder to once again give thanks for the second chance I received.
Hope your day is wonderful @gillycat11
 
Happy six month anniversary! I can definitely relate to the shock of needing the THR and my new realization (only after second hip, that I'd been subconsciously editing my behavior because of my hips. I was lucky that my PCP responded as she did. The injection (prior to diagnosis) had only worked two months and messed with my blood sugar levels. When I contacted her with MRI results and what OS had said, she immediately said "let's get it done" . She pointed to my appt in two months and said she'd order the additional blood tests I'd need and we could do my pre-op that day, so get the surgery scheduled within four weeks after that day.

Yay to a new life with fewer restrictions!
 
@Mojo333, I think the Teds were a big part f making the first 6 weeks so miserable. It was bad enough not being able to sleep, properly, get out and about properly or basically enjoy everyday life, but they- or rather the getting them on increased my feelings of dependency, dislike of being a burden on my husband and , because they are so unattractive, stripped me of any remaining semblance of femininity. Not like you can wear them discretely with a pretty dress or a skirt! Thankfully that's all behind us now!

@Layla, thank you for your on going support and lovely words throughout my journey.

@SaraK, it's interesting to read how both in this reply and previously from your thread how the injection served to only provide you with short term relief. During the numerous "what if " and "if only" times during this journey, I have questioned whether I should have delayed surgery by being offered- or seeking injections or other less drastic treatments.. The THR, appeared the end of a road I hadn't, I thought travelled. I'd imagined the effects were more long lasting and less problematic for your overall health than has been your experience.

So which ever paths we took to get here we are all on the same journey- together. A team.
Our little band of cheerleaders, advice givers, information sharers, peers, shoulders to cry on, ears to listen, there when we want to scream and cry or skip and jump (carefully). @bonesmart. Keep up the good work!
 
I lost my TEds in the washer about day 5...oops.
 
Lovely post again @gillycat11 I love the last paragraph and fully agree.
Hope you had a good week. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
 
"Lost" Teds, naughty naughty! @ Mojo333.
Just back from the wedding dress shopping. My daughter said yes to the dress and it's gorgeous!
A fabulous way to spend the afternoon.
 
Yay! :yahoo: How exciting! :happydance:
 
Just in from work. Feet and legs throbbing, back stiff but hip remarkably ok. Ok my groin's a bit achey and my scar's feeling sensitive, but compared to before my op, I'm positively fantastic. The joys of nursing! Well off I go for the ice pack! It'll be better tomorrow after a rest.
 
While it's good to feel better than before the op, I hope we can all get to the point of just feeling good without the modifier! Now, grab a nice cold beer (if you're so inclined today), put your feet up and relax!
 
Just sitting here with feet up, ice pack and nice cuppa @Jackie222. Feeling better already.
@SaraK, I agree, it would be nice to just be feeling good without the modifier. Wonder when that happens.
 
With my first, somewhere between 6 and 12 months. Of course, 2nd THR may have skewed perceptions!
 
That's the way it goes, @gillycat11
when we get back to work!
I was like you, take the modifiers over that horrid crunching hip pain any day.
Yay for you doing what you must, and then getting home and assuming the position.
That's how I did it!
Onward:tada:
 
Last edited:
The thing with with returning to work is that mentally, it helps enormously to get up and going, using the old grey matter, problem solving , organising and managing caseload. I feel human again.
Not so great physically. Shifts have meant I'm missing my Pilates classes and not getting my swimming fix either. Good job I have my dog or I'd have hardly had any non work related exercise.
Well that's going to change!
Have seen my manager about doing fewer but longer shifts so I'll get more days off and be able to do more on them.
Today I've had a day off and done so much! I swam 1500m, walked dog 6 miles in total, visited mum and still fitted in some housework and laundry. Well - can't have fun all the time!
@Mojo333, I'll also take the modifier over the bone crunching pain any day.
@SaraK, time scale of 6- 12 months will suite me fine. With your re-do ( I'm assuming it's a redo?) were you given different expectations or are your doubts down to experiences with your last hip?
 
Not a redo - had left done last April and right in December (it didn't make its presence known until a few months after the first was done). My reference to skewed perceptions was that the first was becoming the forgotten hip at the time that the second was getting bad. Maybe I forgot about the first because it seemed like nothing in comparison.

In some ways, comparisons are hard between my two because of the difference in activity level before the first (absolute couch potato) compared to now and having the glute tear 6 weeks out from second. At this point (just realized it's 5 months today), I feel good. I still have some stiffness when I've been sitting too long and don't have full range of motion back, but it's continuing to improve. I saw my trainer last night and he asked what restrictions there were for our workout Saturday (I've slowly been lifting them after recovery from glute tear). I told him that I am feeling better now than I have in a long time and that the primary restriction was not to mess that up! In addition to range of motion, I still have psoas issues but have that calmed down now and have been able to gradually increase walking and other things that might set it off to try to keep it calmed down. I have to be ready to walk on the beach and take long hikes in the nature preserve when we go on vacation in 3 weeks!
 
Thanks for the clarification @SaraK. It's sometimes hard to keep up with everyone's journey on here.
Can full see how you end up with issues with non- operated hip presenting after replacement. We put so much extra strain on it during recovery.
Been having twinges in left hip since about 6-9 weeks out. Put it down to adjustments, compensation and additional reliance on it. Besides its always been referred to as "the good leg" through this journey- a comparison for improvement and X-ray pictures.
I always assumed knee would go before that hip! - old running injury from years back. Guess I'll just have to watch and wait. In no major hurry to get either knee or second hip done at the moment! Can put up with odd ache and twinge- rom ok and it doesn't grind or lock up.

Sounds like you're doing really well after a difficult start and reading about your grit and determination, I don't see a minor thing like 2 prosthetic hips and gluteal tear slowing you down! Keep it up! Nature reserve and sandy beach, here you come!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom