THR Hi Ho Hi Ho....

@gillycat11
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Sorry @alexthecat- didn't realise I was breaching some site rules- I just really want some advice from forum members. I hadn't put it under my previous thread as 1) it's nothing to do with Pilates and I didn't think it would even get readers outside those who have an interest in Pilates.
2 when I first stumbled across the forum I hadn't known you were allowed one thread and one thread alone- or I wouldn't have called it that for the above reason- once you get an answer about Pilates that's the end of the question.
3 if I'm stuck with one thread- can it be gillycat11's new hip?
As I said- sorry for breach- off to troll internet now as I doubt I'll get much forum help from a thread entitled Pilates after hip replacement.
 
I doubt I'll get much forum help from a thread entitled Pilates after hip replacement.

Actually, if you look at the top of this page, you'll see that the title of your thread is "Hi Ho Hi Ho........". That is the title that you wrote for your new thread and it was retained after the merge. Do you want to keep that title or would you prefer to change it?
 
Wishing you well with your return to work. I’m afraid I don’t really have any advise to give apart from listening to your body and not doing things that don’t feel right. I’m sure your colleagues will understand and fully support you :flwrysmile:
 
is anything I should be aware of, or precautions I need to take once I am back in the clinical setting- especially relating to patient handling, resuscitation and care delivery.
Well I am not a nurse but I have had 2 hip replacements and can confirm heavy lifting and being on your feet for many hours is going to cause discomfort. I sounds like your work is willing to work with you offering a phased return. You will indeed get back to the regular hours. But don't "jump" too quickly. Give yourself the space to rest. No chores at home when you first return. It's work and rest - that's it.
 
f there is anything I should be aware of or precautions I need to take once I am back in the clinical setting. Especially relating to patient handling, resuscitation and care delivery. The last thing I want to do is end up damaging my new hip, hurting myself or a patient because I've done something I shouldn't.
First, don't imagine there is anything you can do that will damage your new hip. They're very strong and sturdy.
Second, hurting yourself is more of a problem but this can be circumvented by ensuring you don't lift anything too heavy for you. The usual guidelines for manual handling - according the HSE Manual Handling guidelines are like this ....

[Bonesmart.org] Hi Ho Hi Ho....


These apply all the time but more so for the first few weeks after your return.

Hope this helps.
 
First day down. Don't know why I was so worried. Bit of a nightmare drive in in rush hour traffic but was tolerable from a comfort point of view. Short shift of only 5 hours today- all office based. Regular paracetamol today on medical advice but no real pain concerns.
Sensible sounding phased return planned and a risk assessment with manual handling team and occupational health before I go back to normal duties. Guess the anxiety about going back was worse than the reality.
 
Hi @gillycat11
I just read your thread.
Noticed you're coming up on four months soon. I hope all is going well.
Wonderful to hear your first day back to work went well.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Thanks @Layla, yes nearly four months- time flies.
Some days I feel like I'm flying and others it all feels painfully slow! I never seem to know how I'm meant to be feeling or what I should be able to do.
Having been off pain medicines for about 6 weeks have gone back on for return to work- not for hip pain but scar discomfort. I don't think it likes been sat on or made to wear tailored trousers instead of sweat pants or Lycra leggings!
Who knew- my scar would join the fashion police!
 
Would pantyhose under the slacks help? May prevent slacks from rubbing the scar. You could even put some cotton batting, felt or fleece in between hose and legs and let the hose hold it in place.
 
Thanks @SaraK think I'll try the panty hose next day at work. Or maybe it's time my legs shed their winter plumage ( I shaved them) and I put on a skirt.
 
4 months down and today is the first time in 2 and a half years I have been able to get into the car without having to use my hands to lift my leg! Still have to make a conscious decision to lead with operated leg when stepping up onto the curb though. But I can do it. Yay for recovery!
 
Awesome news @gillycat11
Getting your life back...slowly but surely.
A great day to you!
 
The Beast from the East arrived big style this week! I know all you folks Stateside will wonder what all the fuss is about, but here in the good old UK, it's been big news. We have had blocked roads, stranded motorists and crippled public services. So rehab and hip related things have been, shall I say - different.
Been on a 4 day week at work. All office based and all reduced hours (5 hour days), but getting there has been challenging. What with digging the car out beforehand and driving the journey in which usually takes about 25 minutes, and took 1 hour 15 minutes because of ice, drifting snow and blizzard conditions.
Walking my dog has been a great workout! She's a black Labrador and she loves the snow, so if there's a deep drift she'll head for it- whether she's walking off lead or not. Being dragged through calf deep snow at speed has been my main my main exercise this week because Pilates got cancelled and I was too much of a wimp to go swimming. There's something unappealing about leaving the warmth of the house to battle the icy roads and afterwards travel home cold and damp.
However, modified regime doing ok, still managing to get in my Fitbit 10000 steps minimum per day- and using stairs not lifts at work too. Hip feeling good with just a mild ache when I know I've done too much- even if it hasn't been intentional.
I guess it's all becoming more "normal" now. I am able to do more on a daily basis. To the point I've found myself in places or positions and thought "am I allowed to be doing this? " or not quite known how to manoeuvre out.
Posting at a good point, emotionally and physically, because I want to be able to look back further on down the road to map improvement. I think the big stuff's done so changes might be subtle.
Next challenge after the ice and snow is increasing hours at work, getting back to clinics l duties,
Getting back to my recreational activities- increase distances swimming. Not sure I'll be ready for my planned 1 mile open water event in June but indoor pool- bring it on!
I want to get back on my mountain bike too- been too scared recently in case I fall off, but hubby says we can go on a gentle ride together when the weather improves. Start slowly.
Oh and there's the walking holiday in August. Couldn't have even contemplated that back in October.
Feeling good.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom