BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hi Ho Hi Ho....

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by gillycat11, Jan 23, 2018.

1. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had a Right total hip replacement in October 2017. (12 weeks ago). My physio has suggested I start doing some Pilates.
    Are there any moves or positions I should be avoiding? Or any which are totally banned?

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @gillycat :welome:
    Welcome to BoneSmart!
    Below you will find the Recovery Article. Even though you're already twelve weeks post op
    you may find beneficial information within the article. Personally, I'm not into Pilates but there may be
    some members who are and can comment on your question.

Please provide an exact surgery date to be added as your signature.
    All the best to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

If your Physio has suggested Pilates, they should be able to advise you about what to avoid.
    Ask for them to recommend an instructor, you will want someone who is sensitive to the classes individual needs and who will respect you when you are uncomfortable with some positions.

4. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

I started Pilates 12 weeks after THR too! That was about 7 and a half years ago for me. Have you done Pilates before? I had about five years experience with it before my THR.

There weren't any positions that I avoided, but I did listen to my body. For instance, I remember the first time we did the Rollover in class, I got my legs up in the air and I just didn't feel confident continuing, so I didn't. I stayed in the shoulder stand and waited to rejoin the rest of the class in the next exercise. A few months later, I did the Rollover and it was fine. I'm glad I waited until I felt ready for it.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. jaydub63

jaydub63 senior

@gillycat11 It may depend on what approach you had for surgery too - posterior vs anterior - in terms of what types of positions are not recommended, at least in the early months. Did your surgeon mention any on-going restrictions to you?

6. TCTuna

TCTuna new member

I went back to Pilates about seven or eight weeks post anterior hip replacement. I have been doing Pilates for about three years before my hip operation. I attribute my quick recovery to being in great Pilates shape.
    Let your Pilates teacher know you've recently had a hip replacement and they can tell you during class which exercises you might want to back off on a little. But also just really listen to your body. I am amazed and my Pilates teachers were also amazed at how quickly I was able to do just about everything in class after my hip replacement

For a while it felt uncomfortable laying on the operated side and I used double mats and an extra pad under my hip to crushion it

I am nine months out now and can feel almost totally back to normal both in my Pilates class and in real life. Good luck to you and go for it. I think Pilates is just so great for your body

• Like Like x 2
  7. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Never done Pilates before. Had a one to one session to start, but if anything the instructor seemed to be taking her lead from me.

Felt OK until she suggested some move which involved affected leg on top with knee pointing down to floor and moving it towards the floor. Felt uneasy so didn't do. Thanks for reply. It's nice to hear there is life after hip precautions.

8. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Thanks for help and useful advice. All very new to this, despite being 12 weeks out. Went to Pilates teacher on advice from my physio. Been following her advice to the letter. Now ready to move forward with my recovery and life. Having been very fit and active before this, was wanting to explore something which will benefit me in my recovery and physical health.

Hi @Layla . Op date 26/10/17. Sorry if not entered the forum properly. Did it through the app and the set up looked totally different to that shown on the website.

9. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

I’ve recently returned to yoga. I’m currently just doing the rest and restorative class. I agree with the others listen to your body. It lets you know! If it doesn’t feel right don’t do it.
    It’s surprising what it doesn’t like. I went to place my right (operated side) foot between my hands. But my hip was having none of it so I adjusted accordingly.
    I assume that if you had any restrictions placed by your OS they have now passed, it not it may be worth giving them a quick call.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@gillycat11 No need to quote every post you are responding to. Just scoot down the the empty box at the bottom of any thread and start posting.

11. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Thanks all. Will take any advice I can.

12. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Hi @ Jackie222, how is your Yoga going? I have now done 3 Pilates classes and am loving it! I took your advice about if it didn't feel right not to do it and it seems to work. I'm reluctant to stretch too for across the mid line and using a pillow when lying on operated side on the floor but everything else has been good. Thanks again for your post.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

Hi @gillycat11 it going well thank you. I’m sticking with the restorative class at the moment but I’m back doing practice at home. I think I feel safer that way and less likely to push myself into positions I’m not ready for yet. I’m happy with my progress but finding it interesting that asanas I thought would be a doddle are impossible at the moment.

Although I think I’ll have to adjust my attire. Did a practice Saturday morning. Think the postman nearly had a heart attack as I was in my nighty :flabber::blush::thud:

Glad to read that you’re enjoying Pilates it’s never been something I’ve tried but my surgeon suggest I give it ago when I saw him last week so just looking into finding a class that suits :) :-) (:

14. Kazann

Kazann new member

Canada Canada
    It's great to hear you are both enjoying your restorative classes. When ready I'll be going back to my Somatic Yoga class where they'll put a massage table out for me so I don't need to go on the floor. My physiotherapist leads pilates classes (reformer, chair and floor) so I may go back when I feel more stable. Congratulations on your progress.

15. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Thought you might like to see this - one of our members who went back to Yoga!

BarbaraR THR at 6 months.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Thanks @Josephine, I couldn't do that before arthritis let alone THR!
    Just enjoying doing a little more exercise and trying to lose a bit post op weigh as well as improving core strength and stability. Hope to register for awareness day- will need to request day off as hope to be back working full time by then.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

That’s a great inspiration @Josephine I’m now able to cross my legs but not able to sit cross legged for more than a few minutes. This will be a good thing to measure my progress by. Currently doing my post practice meditation lying on my back. A
    I’m on a diet as well @gillycat11. Ive lost 8lb since the start of Jan. Another 14 to go!

• Like Like x 3
  18. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Well done @Jackie222, I'm still at the putting on rather than the taking off weight stage. Massive will power failure!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

Wow, I'm impressed Barbara!
    This is how far my knees goes down now.:heehee:

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

It's off to work I go! And I don't mind saying I'm really anxious about it.

I am 16 weeks out and can walk good distances, swim and attend some gentle Pilates classes but that has all been at my own pace. If I don't feel like doing it, I don't. If I need to rest, I do.

My work as a nurse in out wonderful NHS demands long hours, often on my feet, with manual handling and direct patient care giving responsibilities. I am going back on reduced hours and restricted duties but the expectation is that after the initial return I will return to full duties and full time hours.

I know to expect to have increased fatigue and my doctor has suggested that initially I may experience increased discomfort and need to restart on regular pain medications.

My fears are primarily about the physical aspect of my job so I'm asking anyone, but specifically nurses (@Josephine I'd really value your input) out there if there is anything I should be aware of or precautions I need to take once I am back in the clinical setting. Especially relating to patient handling, resuscitation and care delivery.

The last thing I want to do is end up damaging my new hip, hurting myself or a patient because I've done something I shouldn't.

Any advice appreciated.