Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected

Merry Christmas brother. Hang in there, I definitely understand the alpha work environment and what having a bad hip is like in it. You're not supposed to feel that way after the fix though. Just remember, work is work, not your life. Your wife and kids are what matter and they'll always love you and be proud of you.
 
The journey is what makes us. When I plant my flag on the top of the mountain it is going to be something extraordinary for me. We can not become who we are supposed to be if we do not have adversity. The people that do not understand have never had to deal with adversity. I'm so excited to turn my life around. You could not defeat me. I am here. Bigger stronger and more importantly just a mental warrior. Our brain is our worse enemy.
I will not fail, I will come back unpentrable. I will not lose this fight. Heck ya, LET'S GOOOO. Your mind can be your weakness or your strongest supporter. I limp now, but my limp is empowering. I can't wait to show the world my determination. I wont lose. I will tie my shoes again and no one will know my struggles.
 
I'm excited for you to be able to turn your life around. Hold on, brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
Merry Christmas! :santa-dance:
@Mr.fun
 
Just a reminder, though, @Mr. Fun ......limping is a coping mechanism and never a good idea as it puts a lot of strain on other parts of your body that may then have problems. Please use whatever walking aid is necessary for now so that you don't limp when you walk. You may have to go slower, but that is part of the healing process. All this is temporary if you do it properly. Trying to power through with a limp will only cause your body to "learn" that gait because the proper muscles aren't being used and getting stronger. All the best to you....your mental strength is awesome!
 
Hello @jamiei am no longer in recovery mode. Im at stage4 for brooke claasifiation for hererotopice ossification. The past two year have been he'll and I am in survival mode not recovery. My job would not allow me inside with a can inside the building with a can. it could become a weapon. Never mind a 48yr CO WITH A LIMP CAN ALSO BECOME A TARGET FOR A HOSTAGE SITUATION . I kiss my wife and my kids of off to work I go. MY work does t not have time so to sit around and wine about or /work enviroment. Being in shaped goes along way In this enviroment. 2025 will be my yr. Sit back enjoy the pop corn. ur going g to get a glimpse in to what a strong mind, proper health care team and termination will do. once the surgery happens any my anger fuels the fire. I wont be stop. for some of u who did not read my thread from the beginning Stop putting your input in. u sound silly.. good day
 
@Mr.fun .... I apologize if I came across as someone who has not followed the tortuous path of your hip replacement. Although I somehow missed your last updates in October and November (I didn't receive the alerts properly for some reason), if you look back on your thread you'll see I have been keeping up with your case. I've been on your side about the need to seek additional opinions and investigate not only the HO problem, but also the possibility that something else was going on to cause an impingement.

You have done an amazing job putting up with all this for so long. Sadly your doctors and the Canadian medical system have not been as responsive as you deserved. And you obviously have a career that doesn't mesh well with someone who may have some physical limitations, even if they just temporary until proper treatment by an experienced surgeon happens. Having worked for the US Marine Corps for 30 years, I totally get the "Alpha" environment.

I like what you've written about your current surgeon's agreement for some post-op preventive treatment with both and anti-inflammatory medication and radiation. The studies I've seen show that can help prevent regrowth of bone after the excision.

I was concerned right along with you about some other problem going on besides the HO because of the way you described your pain and the lack of movement you've experienced from the beginning after your hip replacement. So I'm thankful that this surgeon is going to be evaluating the cup and any areas that may be causing this. While there are no guarantees with the procedure, I feel like you are in good hands. Your diligent work to find a good surgeon who is listening to you has paid off.

As for my comments about trying to use a walking aid to help with your limp, I still stand by that advice. I know something like this is difficult if you're in an environment like your work where people have zero understanding of what is going on. I get that you cannot use the aid there. But, perhaps outside of work you could use an aid for at least part of the time to ease the strain on the rest of your body just a bit. But, that said, I understand if you don't want to go that route. You are the one who knows your body better than anyone and I support whatever you feel is best at this point.

I sincerely hope you are able to get your surgery scheduled as soon as possible in the January/February time frame. Again, I want to say that I'm sorry if my post came across as not caring or understanding your situation. I am just hoping that there are ways to make these final weeks of waiting a little more comfortable for you. You've been through hell with this for a long time and it's time things took a turn for the better. I agree that 2025 is going to be your year and it will be so wonderful to hear some good news once you are back in recovery mode and seeing things improve after this surgery. I have no doubt that you will conquer this and come out a stronger on the other side. Thank you for documenting this process so well. This can be a huge help for others who might find themselves in your position. I'm looking forward to your next updates.
 
update
Surgery was this morning at 8am. Jan 27
Hospital stay is 3days.
Radiation dose tomorrow is 7Gy.
Met with surgeon after surgery. was a little out of it though. Surgeon said I had 2 massive chunks of bone and a few floaters. I asked about cup revision and if iliosoasas impindgement was present. Surgeon said no to both. also said he was satisfied with cup placement. But went on to say he did a partial release of my iliosoas. Not sure why. But will discuss this with him on why. Forgot to ask about leg length. Take care.
 
Last edited:
update
Surgery was this morning at 8am. Jan 27
Hospital stay is 3days.
Radiation dose tomorrow is 7Gy.
Met with surgeon after surgery. was a little out of it though. Surgeon said I had 2 massive chunks of bone and a few floaters. I asked about cup revision and if iliosoasas impindgement was present. Surgeon said no to both. also said he was satisfied with cup placement. But went on to say he did a partial release of my iliosoas. Not sure why. But will discuss this with him on why. Forgot to ask about leg length. Take care.
Welcome to the other side (again). I'm interested in what a follow up conversation with your surgeon reveals and hope hope hope this stands as the definitive treatment that allows you to heal and move forward.
 
Aww, Mr.fun, I am so glad you're finally receiving the treatment you need. It's been a long journey for you and its taken incredible strength and patience for you to get to this point. I pray this procedure / treatment gives you the freedom to do all you've been missing out on. This is a big step toward your brighter future, well deserved and long overdue. Please keep us in the loop so we're able to celebrate your progress with you.
All The Best! :)
@Mr.fun
 
medication protocol
recovery room
2 celebrex
fentynal: was 1 shot in through IV. made me nauseous. followed by anti nauseated shot into IV. Fell asleep after for a short time.
4mg hydromorphon every 2hrs in IV followed by 1mg hydromorphon tqblet 1 hr after for break through pain

hospital room 330pm
started with 2mg hydromorphon tablet every 2 hrs.
shift change happened at 7pm. The new nurse asked me how I felt. You can see by my response what happened next.
730pm new protocol
4mg hydromorphon every 2 hrs Through IV.
2mg hydromorphon 1hr after for back end pain
10pm 2 celebrex
Antibiotics running in ivy drip entire time.

to be honest I'm getting about an hours worth of relief. I can feel my leg throbbing. pain wise This is alot worse then my original hip replacement.

Surgeon also said we dont get a redo at this becasue of the amount of muscle that was taken out with the bone. But Im heavily medicated i could have been having a conversation with the light switch. lol good night.
 
Last edited:
Hang in there! It does get better.
 
Surgeon also said we dont get a redo at this becasue of the amount of muscle that was taken out with the bone. But Im heavily medicated i could have been having a conversation with the light switch. lol good night
:heehee:
Amazing, you haven't loss your sense of humor through all of this. May today be a better day for you. :fingersx:
 
Wishing you a thorough recovery and a quick reduction in pain. Hang in there.
 
I'm glad you are communicating your pain levels to the nursing staff so they can do their best to minimize it. It's no surprise this is more painful than a hip replacement, because there is a lot more involved in the surgery. Things should start to improve, though. Just continue to let your nurses know when you are hurting. And, when it's time to go home, be sure there is some type of Home Health services arranged for you for at least the first couple of weeks.
 
Right on! Got her fixed up finally and now you can recover and get everything you should have gotten from the original surgery. I'm happy to read of this resolution.
 
xrays uploaded
1st is problematic hip
2nd is the new one.
U can see there is some HO left in the area. not sure why. but will ask. I'm guessing they leave the bone that would be in a impingement free area to save the soft tissue from more damage. Surgeon did say that I had full mobility on the operating table. I can tell the leg has been lengthened just by the length of the new stem. You can also see how my leg does not bow under me anymore. There is a hole that will need to close where the bone was removed. Fingers crossed. I'm staying positive.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250129_064203_Gallery.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 56
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250129_123501_Gallery.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom