Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected

Hi I'm reading this post hip op thread, it makes me both worried and sad because I'm due a new left hip soon. Already had a right hip for nearly 6 years and it's been great until today when it gave me a weird 'cold wet sensation'. Nut nothing to see or feel since so I'm not sure what is was.
However my right hip took a whole 15 weeks to feel.like my own and my best case scenario was to be pain free. Good mobility has been a bonus and the TRHR has been doing all the work recently so maybe that explains the weird sensation.
My best case scenario for a future TLHR is to be pain free.
 
To everyone who has responded to my thread lately. Thank you for bumping it up to the top again. People need to read this outcome and at the very least get the proper prophylactic medication before hand. whether you are a high risk HO patient or not. I was not high risk but I also was not informed of this complication. Only informed of the usual complication of dislocation and infection. Still blows me away why doctors do not prescribe. Almost 19 months post op now. Dealt with a bad hip for a few yrs pre op but nothing like this. Over all I live for today becasue There is nothing I can do right now. Most of us know how tiring it is to have a health issue living rent free in our minds. I refuse to miss out on life. I do not want to look back and only remember focusing on my self pitty. The journey is always better then the come back. I will be back at some point but for now I build memories with and for my family. Cheers.
 
I will be back at some point but for now I build memories with and for my family. Cheers
Aww, big hugs, Mr.fun...this just tugs at my heartstrings. I am so sorry for all you endure and hope there's resolution one day. Wishing you lots of comfort. Know that we're here and we do care.
 
Hey Mr Fun,
I just read this thread from start to finish and I have nothing to say but you are a strong man. I too am dealing with the canadian medical system and I have so much resentment built up. I just got a call from the CRA demanding payment of taxes, which I can't afford because I spent all of my money paying for a hip resurfacing as an effort to get back to work instead of waiting 2 years for the public system. I too am struggling, and was far far better off before surgery.

I hope you have a resolution soon my man, those HO xrays look brutal. Chronic pain is exhausting, especially when you look fine from the outside.

From one internet stranger to the next, I wish you the best.
Toby
@Mr.fun
 
Welcome to BoneSmart, @tobylevins!

Why don't you start a thread for yourself and tell us more about your hip's surgical history and your recovery:

Go to the main Hip Recovery section page, click on the orange button at the top right of the page that says Post Thread. When you post, please let us know when you had your procedure and which hip so we can create a signature for you.

Let us know if you need help!
 
So sorry. I will continue to keep my hopes up for you.
 
Just wanted to give a quick update and move my thread to the top again. TWO second opinions now. Waiting on a third. Both surgeons agreed that they would have to follow what is being presented to them. Which is HO. It's now at stage 4 of the brooker measuring system. Both have said that my Original surgeon is capable of doing the surgery and that they would feel comfortable with his experience and knowledge. I believe what they said was..This is what we do. It's not rocket science. It is all about how I heal. Original surgeon expressed that he is willing to do it for me, but I need to understand the risks. The risks here are his lack of HO experience. Not the risks that come with having surgery. I guess for me it's the lack of reassurance that has me sitting on the fence. Everyone I have seen has said the same. This is such a rare compilation finding a surgeon that has the REPS for this surgery is a needle In a haystack. It makes me think that if a surgeon has lots of experience in it. Why?? Is he more aggressive and less delicate with the soft tissue. I guess.... I want my surgeon to have more encouraging words. Such as I don't have the experience, this is why, but I can do this surgery. I as patient wouldn't have a shoulder surgeon perform hip surgery. Different anatomy. But is this the same? He is a hip specialist. He does about 400 hip replacements a yr. I'm so confused. It is getting closer to pulling the trigger, so to speak. My pain levels are what I think to be subsiding. Meaning HO is finally maturing It's mostly secondary pain to lack of hip mobility. Such as my lower back feeling like it has more curvature. Tight muscles in my lower back. My knee and ankle pain is about the same if not worse. I have some good limp swagger and sitting sucks. TOILETS are my enemy. I'm getting about 90 degree flexion. Physio said 110 is usually what allows people ADL'S. I can function, but not in the means that I want...Thats my update/rant.
Take care.
 
You have every right to feel uncertainty in all of this. It would be difficult to schedule surgery with a surgeon that expresses a lack of experience in dealing with the condition you've been diagnosed with. It's heartbreaking you continue to have your life on hold as you try to deal with this. Sadly, I have no advice, only support to offer and a listening ear when you need one. I hope someone with some knowledge on this condition stops by with words of encouragement, but it seems the members that have dealt with HO are few and far between. Let us know when you hear back from your third opinion. You're overdue for some positive news.
I'm sorry for that. May your week be a pleasant one.
@Mr.fun
 
@Mr.fun I wonder if you'd like your thread title changed by a moderator to say something about HO or heterotopic ossification as it may attract more members who have dealt with this?
 
Hi again Mr.fun,
If you'd like your thread title changed...any suggestions? If not, here's one
"Heterotopic Ossification, not what I expected"
 
@Mr.fun …. I’m sorry to hear you are still dealing with this problem, but glad you have sought additional opinions on the HO. I agree that it would give me pause for a surgeon to say he hasn’t had a lot of experience with HO and then in the next breath indicate he is willing to do the surgery for you. Do any of your other surgeons have more experience with HO? It is true that this condition is more of a factor of your body’s healing process than something a surgeon can control. You might schedule another appointment with your original surgeon to ask him for more details regarding what he feels he can do for you. In the end, it’s going to come down to whichever surgeon you feel most comfortable with to do the procedure. Then it will be a bit of a wait and see for the post op results. You might ask what possible post op treatments could be used such as radiation or anti-inflammatory medications. It will be important to stay away from any aggressive therapy post op, as there is some evidence that may contribute to regrowth of heterotopic bone.
 
@Jamie
hello I have discussed post op therapy medication. He said he would stay away from radiation but would prescribe indomethacine. He feels that radiation is not worth the risk. Everything I have read says radiation therapy plus indomethacine. Also have read that either one on their own can help prevent HO. I can't find literature on excision with only indomethacine or radiation. I read it was always radiation with indomethacine. The 3rd surgeon I had seen Said he would not administer radiation. His last patient had the skin die with radiation. OK see you later Thanks for your honesty. lol. He also said that it all depends on how your body heals. I am In the opinion that perhaps that surgeon was to aggressive with the soft tissue and also perhaps why I am In this possition. perhaps my 1st surgeon was to aggressive with the soft tissue. I have read that the surgeon needs to be gental and its also how the clean out the joint after the carpentry.. I'm guessing I'm around a year away before this gets resolved.
oh and before I forget. I'm still having fun! I love the life I have created for myself. We are all still alive. that's a big positive. I limp away to my next adventure. I embrace my new swagger..... for now!! lol
cheers!!
 
Last edited:
I'm relieved your outlook remains positive! Some of us tend to have that overall approach as obstacles appear, and it's definitely helpful in the long term.

Of course we're here for your good AND not so good moments regardless!
 
It sounds like you've done your share of research. Your positive attitude, strength and resilience is
inspirational, Mr.fun.

I'm thankful you're recording your journey here because as you've noticed, there aren't many threads on the topic of Heterotopic ossification on BoneSmart. Hopefully what you share is of value to another one day.
Please keep us posted. I am sure I am not the only one following with interest.
Take good care!
@Mr.fun
 
update.
Another bone scan booked for Oct 26. To see if HO has fully matured. Still waiting to hear back from my referral 3 mounths agao to mount sinia hospital to see DR.oleg safir. Also been waiting 8 months for a pain management specialist. Worked last night it sucks to sit. suck to stand and walk. I sometimes feel that the gear I have to wear around my hips puts pressure on my hip flexor. Life is definitely fatigueing. But positivity keeps me going. I'm still able to provide for my wife and amazing girls...one is about to turn 15 and the other one is about to turn 12. My wife makes good money and I make a good money as well. we would be considered a power couple for sure. I'm the softy when it come to the girls. they are just to dam sweet and kind to not get the things they want. That being said they are one mistake away from being cut off at any given time. lol now I'm off to limp to my bed. piece out bonesmart. cheers.
 
my symptoms feel the same as they did after surgery. ANTERIOR approach. a fullness under the scar that just wouldnt go away. it is squishy ontop and rockhard under the scar. looking down to the left of scar my hip flexor feels as tight as a guitar string. My hip flexor is rock hard but also feel extremely over stretched in that area. It's is numb in a circle to left of anterio scar. that causing burning down my leg. this can't all be HO. those r the symptoms I have complained about since day one. HO showed up at 3mnth and that was it. XRAY LOOKS WORSE NOW BUT My ROM has not changed from about 2 weeks. pain is that of 3weeks.Im at 19 months now.
cheers off to bed.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom