Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected

It's been two months to date since the HO removal and partial psoas release. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing, Mr. fun?
We'd love to read an update when you have time to share one. I hope you're happy with your progress.
Enjoy the day and have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Mr.fun
 
After reading this thread I feel pretty lucky. I'm 77 years old.

Am I lucky or did I have a good doctor.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It’s probably a little of both, @jjfcpa. But BoneSmart is here to help folks who have relatively uneventful recoveries and those like Mr.fun who have problems.
 
@Layla
Hello thank you for asking. I had my post op follow up appointment today. I had xrays taken aswell. I will post the xrays as soon as I have a copy (usually a week) with the discussion I had with the surgeon. It will be easier to bring you up to speed with the copy of my xrays to reference as I give an update. Quick Update until then is that there has been no new bone growth since surgery on Jan 27 2025. My next post will be lengthy though. You might want to get some popcorn for it. lol ttys
 
Yay! Gosh I love this news SOOO much.
I'll get the popcorn ready. :wink: Enjoy the weekend!
@Mr.fun
 
@Layla update 2mnths an 3 weeks post OP
pros:
1. I don't feel I have the jam.
2. I am at ble to put shoes and socks on. very difficult to do though. This will need to improve greatly for me to be happy
3. I can walk
4. I have simular pinching on the front area of my hip. where my leg meets my torso. Happens when I am sitting. but I can stretch past it pain free. does not feel like a jam. Hoping there is still healing going on
5. I am able to do the elliptical trainer few days a week not for cardio but to get my hip moving.

CONS
1. hip flexor is extremely tight.
2. AROM Knee flexion is at about 70°
3. I can flex past 70° with PROM
4. I can not run
5. Energy is still extremely low.
6.ROM needs to greatly improve
7.strength is sub par. will keep trying to make stronger.

Overall I'm ok with where I am at right now. but If this is as far a I recover I would not be satisfied. I will continue to push forward.

Attachment
1. xray on the operating table
2. 2month PO
3. HO before it was excised
as you Can see there is 3cm of HO left on the greater trocantor. surgeon response what that he is not in the business to make pretty xrays. and that I had excellent mobility on the operating table. Surgeon said this is a 2 year recovery and what it is at that end of year 1 will most likely be what I am stuck with . Although he did say most of my progress happens in year 1. I might get a little bit more in year 2 but probably won't notice much of a change at that point.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250420_221533_Gallery.webp
    28 KB · Views: 68
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250420_221520_Gallery.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 72
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250420_221502_Gallery.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Hi There

I'm not expert but having read numerous Recovery threads and Bonesmart replies and articles, I'd say you are still very early in recovery and far from where you will be a year from now. It's going to be a full year before you fully recover and maybe even into the next year for a few more improvements. I've noticed that past the 12 week mark people seem to vary greatly in terms of what they can and can't do. Fast forward to the 6 month mark and they even out a bit and most have a reasonable range of motion but are still experiencing some pain if they overdo it. When I read the 12 month anniversary updates, I'm always amazed that people are very active and have resumed normal everyday living with all of the variety of abilities you see generally in the population. Most saying they forget they have a new hip.

Go easy on strengthening, you can cause inflammation and that can prevent an improvement in range of motion. Also be very wary of strengthening one thing more than another. One strong muscle working alongside other weaker muscles can cause the weaker muscles to be strained. This may negatively impact your range of motion because again you risk pain and inflammation. Inflammation can cause severe stiffness and this then means range of motion is restricted. I can go from flexible to stiff in every direction in the space of 30 minutes based purely on inflammation alone. I'm very familiar with it because I have inflammatory arthritis but I think it's a bit of a puzzle to people who are not so familiar with how internal inflammation works. It's the inflammatory nature of recovering from surgical trauma that takes a year to settle down. It's like people who don't have inflammatory arthritis, suddenly get similar symptoms because things are still healing slowly.

Walking is strongly advocated because it avoids these risks because it's a balanced full body workout that hits all key soft tissue simultaneously. Not just any walking but walking with a perfect stride, balance and foot strike. Walking poles can help and also for strength. Walking in water alongside swimming.

I think it sounds like you are making excellent progress! Have you considered becoming an Insider Member to access a higher level of support? It's been great for me!
 
Last edited:
Hi Mr.fun, It is so nice to hear from you.
Thanks for stopping by with such a thorough update. We appreciate you taking the time. Your updates will hopefully benefit another one day because as you've noticed, we don't have great documentation on BoneSmart from anyone else after the HO procedure and recovery. I am happy to read that you are satisfied with where you are...at not quite three months post op. Especially given your surgeon said it will be a year long recovery and as with most of these procedures, people notice improvement even beyond their one year anniversary.

Getting shoes and socks on is wonderful and I'm sure you'll do it with greater ease over the next several months. Same with using the elliptical. I'm happy for you! Your energy level and stamina will increase over time also. Your surgeon has always seemed confident in his ability and you have trust in him which has to be comforting. Just as in THR recovery, it is still early in the healing process and healing isn't linear, some days will feel like set backs. Break your recovery into short term goals, you're already hitting some milestones. Even the smaller wins add up. Continue journaling here, or even at home because reflecting on how far you've come can boost motivation when progress feels slow. This is a big step in getting your life back, something you've been dreaming of for your family and yourself. Keep reminding yourself that this isn't permanent, you are healing, even if you can't see it all yet.

As with everything, nutrition is important while you're healing. Good protein, supplements if you know you're lacking in anything, and adequate hydration will all aid in healing and restoring energy levels. Also, sleep is good because our body repairs itself as we sleep.

I couldn't be any happier for you. It's been such a long journey and while you have a ways to go I think you're making fantastic progress. Trust the process, trust your strength and resilience and give yourself the grace to rest when you need to. Brighter days are on the horizon, you are heading in the right direction and we'll be cheering you on the entire time. Best Wishes for many more blessings to come your way!
@Mr.fun
 
@Mr.fun It sounds like you have really been through it. I am at the start of my HO journey. My surgeon picked it up last week during a follow up appt. I was about 4 months post op. I have been given a six week course of Indomethacin plus tablets for my stomach. Surgeon said it was only the second case he had seen in 20 years. If the medication has not worked he mentioned surgery and/or radiotherapy. In UK I don't think we are allowed to have copies of our X Ray's. Keep improving and keep us informed of your progress.
 
Hi Trotter,
I believe you do have legal right to your medical records and X-rays in the UK. Request them by contacting your OS and go from there. You will likely need a written request, or email specifying what you want, such as all x-rays of my Left Hip taken between (list dates) office call notes, or surgery notes also.
Best of luck and I hope you're having a good day! :SUNsmile:
@Trotter
 
@Trotter just a quick note. You have a legal right to request a copy of your x-ray in the UK. Just incase that's ever something that would be useful. Ditto .. above. We posted together
 
A quick Hi, Mr.fun :wave:
I hope you continue to do well and you're having a good week. :SUNsmile:
@Mr.fun
 
Update. 3months and 3weeks

negatives
Sitting sucks. crease and front of hip.(GROIN)mostly in car
clunking in hip. no pain when it does clunk.
clunking started at 4 weeks.
joined the ODIC this week
funtions make me Tired tired tired.
motivation is down.
No gym this week.

positives
walking is mostly pain free
feels better to walk than sit
leg is getting stronger
doing alot of walking
I can put shoes and socks on. It is however still difficult to do so. Feels awkward.

I don't feel much has changed from week 10 to 15. That being said I am walking more and leg feels a bit stronger. Leg still feels a tad shorter. I don't feel I limp but my shadow limps when it decides to pass me on a sunny day. Oh did I forget to say this is taking forever. Trusting the process can be difficult when you have been down this road before. Mentally I'm doing OK. I am blown away by the people that say they had recovered in 3 months. But those same people will say in the next breath that they felt great at 1 year and even better at 2 years. So when did they really fully recover. bye bye for now
 
I don't feel I limp but my shadow limps when it decides to pass me on a sunny day.
:heehee: Sorry...but it sounds funny.

Have you tried using a seat wedge in the car to reduce the angle and better align your pelvis?
I had a completely different source of irritation post THR, while in the car, so I used to bring an ice pack to place on the area that bothered me and if nothing else it served as a distraction from the discomfort. Consider trying it.

That clunking is likely soft tissues (muscles / tendons) still healing and adjusting.

I'm sorry you're in the ODIC. Not fun, but everyone takes a turn it seems. I shouldn't be saying that to you after all the misery you endured for two years! :wink:

Stay out of the gym right now.
If you leave the ODIC, for the gym, you know where you'll end up again. :kickedout:

Feeling fatigued and overdoing it is definitely a mood buster, but brighter days are on the way.

You listed a lot of positives and you're not quite four months post op so I think you're doing really well!
I'm happy you're feeling optimistic and doing well mentally. May it only get better, Mr.fun

Thanks for stopping by. It is always nice to hear from you!
 
@Layla I have not tried any seat wedges. My hip flexor is tight. It's a fullness feeling behind my front pocket. Very Frustrating. I was very active last week doing the elliptical. Felt fine doing it. Added more walking aswell to my daily activities. My hip does not hurt. It's all soft tissue inflamation and hip flexor tightness. Fingers crossed I will keep trending in the right direction.
 
If you're not already, continue icing the area to help with the inflammation, swelling, any muscle irritation and use it post exercising as well.
Thankful you are moving in the right direction...long may it continue! :)
@Mr.fun
 
Hi Ya! :wave:
How are you doing at almost 5 months post procedure?
Curious minds want to know...:wink:
@Mr.fun
 
@Layla
hello...update.
just passed 5 months. It has been extremely slow. AROM hip flexion is about 75 80 degrees. feels like it tightens and bites/pinches. Was alot worse earlier in recover. So hoping this will just take more time. I have just enough flexion to walk up stairs and do my ADLs. Sitting still sucks. However I can get up and walk and the pain passes. I don't feel jammed. My PROM Is a lot better. I still need more function though. I am doing about 20 minutes on the stair master and 20 min on the stair mill 4-5 times a week. Doing light stretching and lots of walking. Will post 6 month xrays when I get them done. bye for now
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Mr.fun Good to hear from you!
You're making progress and that's what counts. I'm sure you have some good days and some not so good days.
From my understanding, recovery from the HO removal and partial release takes quite a bit of time, likely up to a full year. It sounds like you're dedicated to your exercise routine and feeling optimistic there's still plenty of room for improvement. I wish you the best and will look forward to your next update at six months.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@Mr.fun
 
Sounds like you're definitely going in the right direction! Good to hear and hopefully there's more wins to report in a month :)
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom