Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected

update
I have another bone scan this sat Oct 26 to see if the HO has fully matured. I'm going to say a big NO. I'm still in pain. Nothing has changed. Probably more fatiguing to walk right now. Very challenging to find my energy. But I still push forward. Life is ticking by quickly. don't blink to long folks. We are only here briefly. We have to make the best of it. Even if it is a poopy sandwich. Still waiting to hear from the new referal. I'm guessing Still 3 months away from that appointment. We Need to remember we are not dieing and our families still need us to be happy. Let's keep pushing...Take care.
 
Hi Mr.fun
Thanks for the update on the challenge you're dealing with so bravely.
Your strength while enduring ongoing pain, still pressing on, is inspiriting. Hold onto hope and know that we're here for you. With any luck the new referral contacts you soon and you're able to get an appointment earlier than what you're expecting. Stay strong and keep pushing forward.
I hope today is a good day!
@Mr.fun
 
Update
New referal Nov 12 8am. It's a 2hr drive without traffic. yeah. Attached is most recent bone scan from OCT 26. Pain has decreased but ROM is the same
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20241104_160814_Chrome.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Oh ugh yeah, we sometimes throw up our hands and spring for the motel room the night before those faraway specialist visits.
Scan seems promising?
 
Last edited:
Best Wishes for Tuesday, Mrfun.
Two hour drive, without traffic, each way...that's a lot of time in a vehicle.
Please share an update, we'll be watching for one.
@Mr.fun
 
Try to do something nice after your appointment in the city that it is in. I had dinner and shopped with my sister when I discovered I needed a thr. It didn’t take away from the seriousness, but it helped me process it before driving home. Plus I enjoyed eating at a restaurant that is not in my area. Hopefully you will get information at this appointment.
 
thanks @Layla
Had my appointment today. Surgery will be scheduled for Jan/Feb 2025 and will take approximately 2hrs. Waiting for more spots to open up in the Operating room. Procedure to be done is lateral with the purpose of Heterotopic excision and will examine the implant for any other issues(iliosoas impingment)
Permission was given to revise the cup if needed and lengthen my leg that is to short. Radiation the day after but instead of indomethacine he uses celebrex as a prophylaxis with success. Surgen said celebrex was better for the stomach and you could script it longer for the inflammation and healing. Possible complication are infection, regrowth to some degree and instability causing dislocation from removing the HO. He did say he would be able to tell if it is not stable on the operating table and adjust accordingly by using a constrain liner. He did say that being younger and stronger would help with the instability issue. He gave me 90/95% chance of the surgery being successful and not to worry. He did say he just had a very simular case with a successful outcome. I Will stay in the hospital for 3 days to monitor. That's all I know for now and the waiting begins. Hopefully next time we talk all of this is behind me.
 
Last edited:
It's good to have a very specific plan! Do keep us posted.
 
Thanks for posting an update. This is good news! It sounds like you've found a skilled surgeon who has high confidence in your recovery. It seems you're in good hands, Mr.fun
I hope you're feeling encouraged, trust in the process and view this as a step toward healing. I have no doubt you will move through the challenge of this next phase with the same strength that's carried you this far. Every day you're one step closer to the result you hoped for originally...let's hold that thought. I am very happy for you! Please keep us posted.
@Mr.fun
 
Hi @Mr.fun ,
That sounds good! I agree with Mendogal and Layla and wish you the best for your Op in January/February. Do keep us up-to-date. At long last, you found a surgeon who will address the issue properly. But you deserve it. You are persevering indeed. Best - Constanze
 
@Mr.fun sounds like you've found a wonderful surgeon who knows what he's doing. It sounds very optimistic that he seems to have a plan A with a backup of plan B if needed, good to have contingency plans. Its great that being younger and stronger is definitely in your favor on this. Please keep us updated as things progress. Sending good mojo your way!
 
Hello
Today was byfar one of my hardest days. I can feel the strain this is having on my personal life. I started this journey in 2021 and now in 2024 I am still dealing with this hip. I want to be healthy and happy. I Want to be present for my wife, my kids. My work enviroment is one of the most Alpha environments you could ever step foot in. When I feel like I did today. I get enraged. I get mad. I call myself names in my head. This is good for me. I pull myself back where I need to be as a man. My wife is with me becasue I am a man. I am a protector. I am a provider. But most importantly I am someone that she could see as a father and role model to our girls. This will not break me. This will only make me a better person.. adversity will only make you unbreakable. Thats my pep talk. If your feeling down. suck it up. people saying I'm days out of surgery and im in pain. u signed up for a car crash. Push through it. let's do this together. and I limp away for now not forever.
 
Ugh..I am so sorry. I can't imagine how challenging this is for you, living with the ongoing pain and frustration you've been dealing with since 2021. It's sad how this is impacting your life and now your sense of self. It is understandable how it can take a toll on your confidence and relationships. I am certain your wife's and children's love for you is not conditional based on your physical abilities. It's sad that your work environment is one that enhances your feelings of inadequacy as you journey through this, my guess is that your colleagues are understanding and supportive, which may feel like cold comfort, but I'm guessing you'd be sensitive to any single colleague that was struggling just as you are.

I wonder if meeting with a counselor, temporarily, will help you sort through feelings as you're moving through this. It may be worth considering. You're still a husband, father, protector and provider. You will find a way through to brighter days. You're not alone. Lean on the people that care about you, family, friends, colleagues, a counselor and us! Your worth is not defined by any one part of your life, Mr.fun

You're welcome here anytime. Stop by to vent, give yourself or others a pep talk, or share updates on your progress. The post before your last sounded encouraging and so let's hold onto hope for your surgery after the first of the year. Hopefully you're able to relax and enjoy the holidays with those you hold dear with the hope of good things to come in the New Year!
@Mr.fun
 
Beautifully put, Layla - I couldn't find the right words - and hugs to MrFun.

People are generally resistant to talking therapy but it is an opportunity to work through all the negative thoughts and put them into perspective. You don't necessarily want to share your deepest, darkest moments with loved ones or workmates. A qualified stranger can walk you through them to the other side.
 
Your post reminds me of the saying- “when the going gets tough..the tough get going.”
I especially like how you stated that you limp away for now, but not forever.. that really resonated with me.
As usual @Layla was able to put into words what many of us wanted to say to you.
It’s true, this doesn’t lessen how the people who love you will feel about you.
I bet many people in your life are amazed at your perserverance, I know I am and continue to root for your complete recovery.
@Mr.fun
 
Hello again
Dec 2 2024 most recent bonescan.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20241219_073456_Chrome.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 70
Hello Mr.fun
Hopefully you're still on track for surgery next month, or in February? I am guessing you're excited to regain all you've struggled with losing over the last years since THR, and even the time before as you lived with a deteriorating hip. Wishing you perfect healing and a return to normal in 2025! Please keep us posted.
@Mr.fun
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom