Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected

Yes, good thoughts only! Keep us posted, this is exciting!
Mr.fun gonna be having some fun soon! :yes!:You've earned it.
Happy Wednesday!
@Mr.fun
 
Hi Mr.fun. I'm kinda new here on bonesmart (surgery Dec. 10, 2024). I read all of your posts last night from start to this morning's post. Sir, you are sooo strong, given what you have been through and your frame of mind through it all is inspirational. Not sure if you are able to recognize that in yourself. But we see it. Keeping you (and your wife and daughters) in my prayers, that you are finally on the road to true recovery.:yes:
 
I have finally made it home. Spent 3 days in the hospital. Food was horrible lol. My medication protocol has changed. I was not getting much pain relief with what I was prescribed. New protocol as follows

FOR PAIN
oxycocet 1-2 every four hours
oxycodone 1 every two hours for back end pain

ANTIBIOTICS
cephalexin 500mg- 1 capsul 4 times a day

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
celebrex 200MG 1 capsule twice a day
 
Last edited:
Hi there. So, can you tell yet if the new pain meds are providing any relief? I am currently in a not so great place (pain-wise) and trying to find the magic combo of OTC and prescription meds to take the edge off.
 
Hi @daisyduck0801
I hope you find some relief soon. As you can see in my thread I had 2 different protocols. The first one which did nothing for me in terms of pain relief. The second protocol is by far much better for me. Yes I still have pain but it's manageable now. What works In terms of pain meds for one does not always work for another. I guess that is why we have so many different brands of pain meds. I was lucky because it was not my surgeon who was dictating the pain medication protocol this time but a team of pain management specialist. They took the time to listen and find what's was suitable for me. They would ask me questions leave and come back with the on-site hospital pharmacist to explain exactly what I was being given, side effect dosage and what to expect. My experience with this hospital was very much different then my previous hospital. My original hip replacement the surgeon took care of everything. This hospital the surgeon does the surgery and sees you in 6 weeks. I did see him directly after the surgery though. That being said I did have another surgeon that was present during my surgery and came to my room everyday to check on me and answer any of my questions. Also The different teams of specialist would come everyday at the same time and visit. It was much more organized. I will never go to a small city again. If you think about it, why would a surgeon dictate your pain meds. He does surgery not pain management. Just my opinion though.



 
Excellent point(s). I live in a fairly decent size metropolitan area (right outside of New Orleans) so we have a nice sized variety of pain management professionals from which to choose. I had already started considering that as my next step. What's really annoying me right now is how the pain cuts right through sleep. Ugh.

Sincerely hope as the days/weeks roll out you see some light at the end of your long tunnel. :SUNsmile:
 
Two weeks today. I don't feel jammed up any more. Everything I am doing in the first 3 weeks is very basic. Heel slide with a towel behind my leg, butt squeezes held for 5 seconds. Leg extension on hold for 5 seconds. Everything is 10 reps
 
Last edited:
Happy Two Weeks!
When you mentioned that you "don't feel the same" that means compared to pre-op, right?
You're feeling better? :fingersx: Sure hope so.:prayer:
@Mr.fun
 
@Layla
ah sorry I meant to say.... jammed up anymore. Hip flexion is still an issue. But I'm not pushing that movment. Its just really tight at the moment. But a few positives forsure that I do notice. Hopefully I keep progressing and the HO stays at bay. Sorry for the confusion.
 
No worries or apologies necessary. Just wanted to make sure you were sharing positive news...and it is good news! :yes!:
Glad you're not pushing it and instead practicing patience. We're all cheering for a full recovery and I'm thankful for your willingness to share. It means a lot since HO discussions on this forum are scant at best. Wish there had been more info here for you earlier on.
Most importantly we want to see you recover from this long episode of misery and get back to the life you deserve and enjoyed before your hip began deteriorating. Looks like you have members following your progress and hoping for the best!
Take care and thanks for clarifying. :thumb:
@Mr.fun
 
Hello
attached is my Xray report immediately following my surgery on Jan 27 2025. I have attached the Xray as well that goes with this report again. It does say that 3cm of HO was left in place. I will inquire why at my follow up on march 28 2025. If I where to guess the surgeon will say that it does not effect ROM and left in place to spare sort tissue trauma.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250214_165418_Chrome.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 66
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250214_171837_Gallery.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 62
Good afternoon Mr.fun. Read your attachment. It's somewhat Greek to me. How are you feeling today?
 
Thanks for the update and recent x-ray of your hip. It looks pretty clean and it’s nice to see the implant perfectly in place. You are taking the right approach to your recovery and hopefully that’s going to pay off for you. Probably the most difficult part of all this is being patient and allowing the healing to take place. Hang in there, though……we’ll be here if you just need to talk with people who understand what you’re going through.
 
Good afternoon Mr.fun. Read your attachment. It's somewhat Greek to me. How are you feeling today?
@daisyduck0801 I'm still in recovery. I do see some positives. But I do have very similar hip flexor pain. You would have to read my thread to understand/see what has been happening since my original hip replacement on Feb 8 2023.
 
Holding positive thoughts for a wonderful Spring and Summer for you and your family!
Have a nice weekend, Mr.fun!
Freezing cold and snowing in my neck of the woods. :groan:
@Mr.fun
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
One month, to date, since your procedure. I hope you're doing well and looking forward to a great
Spring / Summer 2025.
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Mr.fun
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom