Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected

Well, it's been almost a couple months since your last update, how are things going for you, @Mr.fun
I hope you and your family have enjoyed the Summer. It's fading fast, although the temps still don't feel like it's fading, at least in my area. Bring on Fall...my fave!
Leave an update when you have time, it's nice to keep up on a your progress.
Happy Weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
@Layla
Hi Layla hope all is well. its Going to be a long post. you should probably go brew a pot of coffee. So here goes.
Attached below 2 xrays.
XRAY 1 is 2 months post OP
XRAY 2 is most recent. was taken Aug 11. Had a phone consult Aug 29. Was under the impression it was to be with the surgeon. However it was with his assistant. Call goes as such. Xrays look stable. I am still not out of the clear for regrowth as of yet. How am I doing symptomatically. My response was
 PROS
1. I can tie my shoe, put my socks on, clip my toe nails.
2. ROM is very simular to opposing hip
3. pain free walking.
CONS
1. I have the exact same soft tissue pinch in the front when sitting in my car.
2. hip flexor is very tight

I explained that I have about 80 degrees of flexion while standing before it pinches(grabs). but I can use my hands and pull my knee up to my chest with out that pinch. I had said that it was discouraging becasue I need to be more active as I still have many years to work. He wanted to book me to come see the surgeon. In his words, something doesn't sound right perhaps you just need a little bit of a tweak. I explained that you did not change my break pads in my car. I'm not going to allow you to go back in for this so called tweak. He suggested to come see him and perhaps do a CT scan. I questioned will the CT scan happen that day. (no). I live 2hrs away... I said I have a 15 inch scar down the side of my leg (lateral approach) you just had visual Jan 27. I continued to say that I was told 12 months for the initial most noticeable recovery and that the surgeon said up to 18 months. He agreed to what I said. I was very dissatisfied with the answers I was given. But also he was unable to answer most of my question. I asked for him to book me another phone consult with the actual surgeon in a couple months and to clear me to go back to work. I feel the phone call was a complete waste of my day with the assistant. He did not reasure me to be patient. He did the opposite and planted doubts in my mind. I'm only 7 months post OP. I read that depending on how severe the HO is also depends on how long recovery will be. Mine was on the extreme side. The surgeon even had said that he had no choice but to leave 3cm of HO on the greater trochanter. If he would have excised that last piece It would have caused to much instability and I would have been wheelchair bound. even went as for to say. We do not get a second chance at this becasue of the amount of muscle that came out with the HO. My complaints from day one have alway been that the placement looks like it does not sit inside my pelvis and angled to far forward. I think perhaps Iliopsoas impingement but the surgeon said he would be able to confirm that while he does the HO excision. Just on seeing/ pulling on the tendon with his finger. When the surgeon came to my bedside post OP HE did say that he had to partially release the iliososas tendon during surgery but not becasue of impingement. It was becasue the tendon was incased in bone and that while removing the bone on the tendon he had to notch the tendon to get that bone off. That being said I am alot more active and better ROM ( 80-90%). Pain is still a complaint but less painful then just out of surgery. My strength is at 40-50%. In my opinion it is just going to take more time. I have not plateued yet and will wait patiently for my next phone consult. I forgot to say I no longer limp and bye bye for now.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250821_193547_Chrome.webp
    27 KB · Views: 58
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20250821_193640_Chrome.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 55
Going to be a long post. you should probably go brew a pot of coffee.
:heehee: You're funny, :wink:
Thanks so much for the update. It is nice to hear from you again. I always wonder how you're doing when I come across one of your posts or see you on the forum supporting another. It sounds to me like you've made great progress. I certainly understand your disappointment in speaking with the PA over your surgeon. Frustrating, especially when you have unanswered questions after the call. It does seem to make sense that it can take up to a full year to eighteen months to appreciate the full effect when you realize your HO was on the extreme side. I'm hoping you've made even more progress by the next phone call, with your surgeon, in a couple of months. I wish you didn't have the pain and I'm hoping that eases over time also. Thankfully you've noticed some great improvements in flexibility, walking and losing the limp! You're still young and your body will continue to heal so lets keep positive thoughts that even brighter days are still on the way. Thanks so much Mr.fun for sharing your HO journey with all. Not only is it interesting, but will likely be inspirational to another one day dealing with the same. Take care, stay in touch and have a great week! :)
 
Question for anyone who has been diagnosed with ililiosoas impingment. I question whether I am dealing with this. I have full PROM however AROM Is painful. Lifting my knee into pants is impossible. I have to use my arm to do it. I can go upstairs relatively easy and get in my car. Anything that requires a higher AROM is pinchy. The blockage from the HO is no longer there. My hip feels fine to stretch. No blockage (PROM). It is the Active flexion. Walking is fine almost no pain. Actually it feels better to walk. Pain is my right leg. Looking down at it from my view, it’s just below crease of leg - centre or just left of centre. It can be painful to touch, perhaps prickly. There also could be a nerve irritation. Any information from your experiences would be great.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mr.fun,
As always, I thank you for sharing updates on your HO journey. I hope that someone who is able to relate to your situation stops by to share some insight. You've made such progress in regaining mobility and getting back to life, I'm sorry you're struggling with this issue. I am sure it's unsettling to wonder if something new has cropped up after all you've endured. While sadly I don't have an answer, I hope whatever it is eases given more time. You've been so strong and have come so far. Hopefully you're able to learn what's causing this pinch / pain and hold onto the fact that solutions and next steps are within reach. I'll be watching your thread for enlightening responses and thanks again for thinking of BoneSmart as a place to reach out for help and information. It is appreciated.
@Mr.fun
 
Hello and Happy November...well almost, and likely for sure by the time you read this.
Two months have passed and you're now ten months post HO removal and Psoas release, wondering how it's going? Let us know when you have time.
Hope November 2025 is a good one!
@Mr.fun
 
@Layla not much to report. Sitting might be a bit better. However I am now struggling with a limp after sitting which resolves after walking for a minute. It's tight and painful after sitting. Takes me a bit to adjust once I stand up. This started at 8.5 months. Has yet to resolve. A bit frustrating. I still feel it's and issue with my iliososas. Spoke with the surgeon at 8 months, prior to my sit to stand limp. Told me to be patient. Still have lots of time to improve. However he will book an MRI for peace of mind. His feeling is that everything is normal and that maybe it just needs more time. MRI is booked for Jan 27 2026. Phone consult is Feb 7 2026 to discuss the results.
 
Nice to hear from you, Mr.fun! I am sorry you're dealing with a limp and pain after sitting. Hopefully your surgeon is right and it will take more time and healing for everything to feel normal. I do hope the results of the MRI are clear and reassuring. It's unfortunate you have to wait another couple months for the scan, but possibly your situation will improve by then. :fingersx: Thanks for the update, please keep us posted. Best Wishes always!
@Mr.fun
 
Yes, thanks for the update from me, too. And I wish you continued improvement after the OP.
Best wishes from
Constanze:)
 
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you Happy Holidays, Mr.fun! :banana-santa:
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and hear only good news after your early 2026 appointments.
Take good care and enjoy!
@Mr.fun
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Happy One Year Anniversary!
How are you feeling one year post HO removal and Psoas release?
I hope the MRI went well yesterday and the year is off to a good start for you. Best wishes for your appointment
in a week and a half. Hope to hear from you soon!
@Mr.fun
 
Hello Layla. Leg is still weak and I get most of my discomfort from sitting. Same as my original complaints. It's interesting when I wake up in the morning I don't feel to bad. Hip joint is a little stiff. but manageable. As the day goes on I don't feel any stiffness from the hip joint. All my pain and stiffness comes from the hip flexor being extremely tight. Like I have said before, my hip flexor feels as tight as a guitar string. I'm still limping a bit from my hip flexor being so tight and painful. Sit to stand is still a struggle. That is why I am still wondering if it could be Iliopsoas impingement. Attached are my most recent xrays and report. No HO regrowth!! I can tell that the removal of the HO has freed up my hip but my original hip flexor complaints have not improved. I had my MRI January 27 2026 and will have a phone consult with my surgeon or someone from his team tue Feb 3 2026. I Will check in again around that day.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20260129_154223_Chrome.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 40
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20260115_204044_Chrome.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi @Mr.fun ,
Thanks for the update which I find very interesting to read. Although I'm not an expert, I think "sit to stand" pain and struggling while getting into a standing position is not unusual after a hip op and is discussed often here on Bonesmart. There would also be start-up pain when one starts walking after sitting still for a long period, and this eases up after a while. This phenomenon my continue for weeks or months and is not a reason for worrying.

In fact, don't they say that long periods of sitting are never good for people, not even healthy ones:)?

Anyway, I'm happy for you that there is no new HO and wish you a continued good recovery process. I look forward to reading your next update.
 
@Mr.fun … It’s good to hear from you and to learn that you’ve had no further issues with the ossification. That’s HUGE! As for the muscle tightness, I imagine it’s been mentioned before in your thread, but you might benefit from a physical therapist who can do some pressure point therapy to release that tightness. I’ve had this type of therapy myself with my hip and it did finally work. The only issue is that it can take quite a while (like 6 or 9 months of consistent treatments) to get things resolved. And the person really needs to be trained in this type of therapy to be effective. But time can also help get this resolved, so it’s good you recognize what the problem is and are willing to allow time to improve. If the pain is caused by impingement, that should be something a surgeon can diagnose for you and that’s a different issue completely.
 
Hopefully the MRI will be helpful in determining what is, or isn't, happening. I imagine you are eager to have that phone consult and get more information. Keep us posted.
 
Hi Mr.fun, thanks for the update. It is such wonderful news that there's no HO regrowth!
I am sorry you're still feeling the discomfort, tightness and stiffness. Naturally I'm curious as to what your surgeon has to offer through the phone consultation. I do hope he has some ideas that will bring you relief. Please keep us posted. You've got fans! :wink:
@Mr.fun
 
Here is a copy of my MRI from Jan 27 2026. Surgeon is to do a phone consultation Feb 3 2026 to discuss the results.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20260130_205131_Chrome.webp
    98.4 KB · Views: 44
  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic ossification, not what I expected
    Screenshot_20260130_205145_Chrome.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 50
We’ll be interested to hear what the doctor shares with you regarding this imaging. Thanks for posting it.
 
Hello and Happy Monday, Mr.fun
How did the phone consultation go last week?
@Mr.fun
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom