THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about your trials with your first recliner day @Carriemay60. It seems that you and your hubby now have it under control. Here's hoping that your flu symptoms have eased and you have a wonderful and restful day enjoying your new recliner.
 
@Carriemay60, maybe now that furniture is in place and pathways are cleared, you can relax and enjoy the cooling of a rainy day with calm and peace. Here's hoping your little symptoms disappear into dreams.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you everyone, my stomach feels a bit more settled as the day goes on thankfully. Even though I am home alone during the day I like that the recliner is comfy enough to be up in. Sleeping on & off all day was not the best for my mind I think. Feel more alive & well :)
 
@Carriemay60
Even with some friction, it sounds like good things are happening too. I like your humorous observations along the way. Keep that positive attitude humming along


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
When it rains it pours :) The dog seemingly picked and ate a green pepper from my container garden and now has the runs. The 1st lot on my wood floor, I had to get the neighbour kid in to clean it up which deserves double time pay I think. I must have dozed off then laying a bit sideways with a pillow between my legs on the recliner and suddenly heard her crying. I assume I started to get up the way I would normally and knew it instantly ~ Ouch!! (still feeling that!) Turned out she was crying because Daddy was in the driveway and not moving fast enough for her!
Although it's in great looking condition, I think this recliner has previously been used by someone much larger & heavier than myself. Still comfy but struggling to find my own sweet spot :) So glad I got it though. My daughter (the nurse) phoned me today. I swear that kid has a hidden camera in here somewhere! Got a lecture about eating enough and drinking plenty of water. Bossy boots but love how much she cares. I may try to get comfy on my non-op side tonight for a while, feel like I need a change.
 
Welcome to my world. Honestly, can't we just keep status quo until recovery is complete?? Poor pup...mine's better today after meds from vet and care from hubby. Dog stuff sends me soaring.

Chair probably had been previously used. Pile on a couple of standard bed pillows in the seat toward the back to keep your hip higher. Shifting them a bit will help make it your comfortable retreat.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal , I will try the pillow on the chair, thanks. There is one ridge in the seat that annoys my butt! I never did make it to sleeping on my side last night. I woke up once with my e-book having fallen 'asleep' and my glasses still on so just got rid of those and turned out the light. Woke at 3ish, quick pee and back to sleep until 5:30am. May very well be my best sleep yet. Puppy also had a good night with no further sign of trouble. :)
 
Full night's sleep is not far off. Once you settle in, it will come. Try rolling a bath towel to fill in the gaps in the chair seat until it feels level. Maybe once you get that solved, put pillows on top.

Glad pup is better. That goes a long way in helping us to relax. Hope sleep is just a few hours away!! You've got this!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
:giggle::bath::loveshwr: HUGE milestone for me just reached! I just had my 1st independent shower!! (even locked the dog out) The humidity last night and this morning was pushing 100% and even with the A/C on all night, I was feeling musty so I went for it! Because of my knee I still can't get all the way in myself, but I backed myself in using the bath bench and am clean from the knees up :) (imagine yourself sitting on a park bench with your legs stretched out) It is beyond lovely to have that independence back! The only error I made was not taking my phone in with me to the bathroom ~ I think that was a bit foolish really so happy all stayed safe and off the floor!

I feel like I turned a corner overnight in many respects. I have felt brighter and more alive all morning which I am sure is what gave me the guts to try the shower without hubby's help. I feel a new strength & confidence in my walk today as well although I am still very dependent on the walker, but that is still good progress for me. Other than a few more house laps and chair/bed exercises to build though and calf muscle/tone I will leave well enough alone so I don't over do it and discourage myself but I am OH SO HAPPY!!! The humidity is lifting so front & back doors are open to let the fresh air in :)

Thank you @beachgal @muckingabout @grnplatebrd @NoraJ @MajorHeidi @cthipster and all my other new friends here (sorry, I can't remember all the names without a list to refer to) for all of your endless support & encouragement.

In other news, my husbands new dream camera just got delivered so I will have a very happy guy around here tonight ~ he won't have eyes for me over the camera but it will be so nice to see him so happy and getting something for him! :)
 
WOOHOO! No audience while showering!!! Confident in your ability!!! Sheer joy of step forward!!!
Kudos on turning that corner!!! Unless you've been there, you just can't know what a feeling of independence it is....here's wishing you many more moments of ecstasy!!!

Hubby + new camera = HIS joy!!!

You've made my day!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well done you. The sleep deprivation can be soul destroying but hopefully you've turned the corner. I switched sides in my bed and it really helps. It allows me to sleop on my non op side facing the way I like. Easier for me as I'm on my own but changing habits of a lifetime is always a struggle!
 
Unless you've been there, you just can't know what a feeling of independence it is

@beachgal You are so right! I don't expect everyone to "get it"; until you loose independence.... I was the same before I broke my leg. I actually dream about walking around the house, doing things for myself, etc. Such a drag to wake up and bump into your walker as you get your legs off the bed! lol There is always a point after something like this (I had with back surgeries hysterectomy operations, etc.) that you turn a corner towards real recovery and normalcy - such a nice to be :)
 
@NoraJ Thank you! I have been in the guestroom on our main floor (alone) since I broke my leg in March. Our stairs are far too steep and narrow for safety and the bed is far too small for me, all my pillows and my husband so he is in our master bedroom upstairs. It also helps me not stress so much about being awake at night, moving around, reading, etc. to not be waking him.
 
I am starting to get a bit bugged by how my feet react when I get up. I think it may be more noticeable since I got the recliner but not entirely sure. In the recliner, I always have my feet up but when I stand up and walk (or just stand) my feet get prickly and itchy. It doesn't last a terribly long time. I think I know that this is the blood rushing to my feet but can't remember what else I have seen about this or where. In the recliner, I am generally in a normal seated position with my feet out in front of me but sometimes recline a little less or a little more. When seated I think I am doing quite a bit? of ankle rotations and pumps. Any ideas?
 
@Carriemay60
Catching up with your thread. What a great jump in your independence. As mentioned, your happiness is evident and I am super happy for your great days and feeling of confidence. I hope you have turned a new corner as well. It is really lovely to read today. You really are quite a warrior...in a good way. :)
I too appreciate all the kindness and support along the way.
 
:gaah: Oh boy! I really don't think I overdid anything yesterday but sure feel like I did! I did a bit of walker walking in the house, some leg lifts (which I could feel pulling in my thigh, but?) and a good amount of ankle rotations and pumps. I woke up at 2:15am feeling like I did in the 1st week after surgery (I had taken my Oxy 5 hours prior). I took some painkiller but it felt like it took forever to kick in enough to go back to sleep. Woke again @ 6:00am in much the same shape. My knee is swollen & painful and my hip is sore as heck, like a deep aching pain. Bit early to say for sure but I may want this day to just pass me by ;)
 
@Carriemay60
Arg! Sorry to hear of you had a less than stellar night. I hope today gets better as it goes on and sounds like your body is letting you know it would like some rest. Hope you feel a bit more refreshed in a bit
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom