THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:nah:@grnplatebrd Thank you, having a go of it today for sure. I am wondering if it could me my arthritis flaring up with the humidity we are getting. Not sure that makes sense for my hip as 1/2 of it is artificial now but it could for my knee. I know I will get control of the pain/discomfort as the day goes on, patience is a virtue right? :)
 
Hi @Carriemay60,

I had a similar conversation with a friend on Wednesday. ..how weather affects joints. All I could think was that I am turning into one of those people who can forecast the weather by the pain in their joints! It's damp and chilly here...Possibly no surprise given I live in Ireland. But the damp just seems to make me ache a bit more!

Hopefully the pain has eased as the day had gone on..
 
@NoraJ I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis about 27 years ago and can guarantee you that weather affects arthritic joints ~ I always feel it coming. I lived in a very similar climate to you until I was in my late 20's (Victoria, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada) and I almost dread going to visit because I generally flare up, especially in the wet, cold winters. I assume I now don't really have a joint in my right hip even though I still have my own socket? That might be welcome in the long run as it was always that hip I needed the cortisone shots in most often.
 
Such a day of sadness for me to learn of my Uncle's passing this morning. He went from playing 18 holes of golf several times a week last summer to a diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis this winter and was taken off the lung transplant list last month as he was no longer strong enough to be a recipient. We thought he still had several months left at worst so it was a shock for me to get the call from my mom - being 7 years older, he was a little doll to her when he was a baby, bless. His wife is in the mild/moderate stages of Alzheimer's and has been confused by his illness ye worried about him and fussing ~ so sad for her loose her love of close to 60 years.
 
It is funny how aware you become of your body and changes that happen. I have osteoarthritis so I don't think that has the same kind of flare ups! The OS described my hip as being disease free so I'm hoping it will be an easier winter. Im not sure what happens when you still havr your own socket....

I may try and get a holiday in Spain later the year to feel a bit of heat in my bones again...its looks like the summer is over here...
 
@Carriemay60 I have been catching up on your thread. So sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. My mom passed away two years ago and it made me really appreciate the time we have on this earth with our loved ones. I think passing quickly is sometimes a blessing in avoiding prolonged suffering, provided you have time to say farewell. That was about the time my hip and knees got progressively worse- I'm sure the stress didn't help- and it led me to take steps to improve my life. If we could all be like your uncle, playing golf and enjoying his life as he aged! My condolences to your family.
 
@Carriemay60, I am sorry my last post went up before I saw your last one. I am sorry about your uncle RIP. It is always sad especially for your mom losing a sibling.
 
@Carriemay60, so sorry about the news of your uncle's passing. It's never easy to lose a loved one and it just doubles the sorrow when their spouse is dealing with Alzheimer's. My heart hurts for you.

Sounds like you've had your hands full today with pain of all sorts. I hope you find some calm and peace as the evening draws near.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PuppyLove @NoraJ @beachgal

Thank you ladies, with time will come acceptance and peace I know. It is a blessing that he passed quickly considering it is a respiratory illness and all that can entail as things progress but of course those of us left behind never feel we had enough time to prepare ourselves.
 
@Carriemay60
So sad to hear of your uncle's passing. I hope your entire family finds a place of peace during this process. Especially your aunt and your mom while they heal
 
@NoraJ @Carriemay60
You both bring up an interesting point that I was not thinking about, with winter eventually heading in, I believe Portland will have a similar feel to Ireland and BC with being damp and chilly. I wonder if I will feel similar effects as you both
 
@grnplatebrd Thank you for your kind words. Yes your weather is very coastal also. We get that a bit here off the lake but not quite the same in your bones cold.
 
Another biggie for me! When I woke in the night, my butt was really sore in the tailbone area. I have been sleeping on my back but propped up with lots of pillows so I am reclining almost. I am also reclining in my chair through the day so need hubby to check and make sure it is not a pressure sore but anyway.... Not wanting to face the soreness getting worse through the rest of the night, I rearranged my pillows with a couple of firm flat ones between my legs and slept on my side! I was on my non-op side and it was not as comfy as my usual side sleeping but it made a welcome change for sure! A good sleep was certainly needed following such sadness yesterday.

I have noticed that my foot seems to be turning out as I walk. I'm not sure if this is new in the last day or so or if I only just become aware of it. I am trying to concentrate on putting my foot out straight and paying attention to the advice here of walking heel/toe. I also note I am putting my bad leg down flat footed, then sliding my good leg forward. I am getting it done with the heel/toe on my op leg but really finding it hard not to slide my good one so I have my work cut out for me this weekend. Hopefully I will make progress but my physio comes on Monday for pointers if needed. Baby steps....

Have a fabulous day friends!
 
Being able to change positions in bed is a lifesaver. I remember when I first dared to try the side position on non op side and was successful, it made a huge difference in my quality of sleep. Hope this is another corner turned for you.

I'm not happy with my gait either this morning. I'm doing all the right things but it doesn't feel natural yet. Some days it does so I guess I just need to refocus my attention to being sure every step is correct. I also need to slow down a bit.

Thinking of you and your extended family as your sadness lingers. Hope these next days will be full of happy memories and pleasant times of long ago. That's your uncle's gift to you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal I agree, it just doesn't feel natural and I feel torn between watching my feet to concentrate and watching in front of me, etc. Not like I have a cliff in my house, but would look foolish to walk into a wall! :) I certainly won't be accused of moving too fast just yet.

I have been reflecting back quite a lot this morning after speaking with my cousin (his daughter). Apparently he wanted a party so she says they are throwing him a big one. After hearing he was involved in his own memorial arrangements I knew there would be some great red wine and a very fine glass of scotch involved :) He was kind of the fun uncle being so much younger than my mother so I do have many fond memories of time spent with him and his family. Thank you for thinking of me.
 
I'm so sorry about your uncle @Carriemay60.

I haven't found a way to get comfortable on my side yet. I'm trying to keep my heel off the bed because it gets sore.
 
@muckingabout I had that in my heels in the beginning & would wake up to a raw kind of burning. At the time, my daughter rolled a towel and put it under my ankle leaving my foot suspended. Worked a treat!
 
@Carriemay60, I want a party, too, but no time soon. Just sayin. I like the idea of celebrating a life well-lived. Sounds like his legacy for such is not wasted on you. Smile.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A good Sunday! I wasn't feeling too swift today with thigh spasms and muscle pain in my butt so by the time I got ready to get out of the house, I was ready to bail on the outing in favour of a nap. Hubby encouraged me to at least get out for some air close to home so off we went with the wheelchair (love having it for long walks!) We walked up through our neighborhood park, had a beer on the patio of the little pub on the corner and then took off for the bulk food store for me to make a trail mix. Last stop was Tim Horton's to grab that chocolate donut I have been craving to bring home for dessert :) A few minutes shut-eye while hubby made tacos for dinner.

Despite the muscle pain & spasm, I noticed this afternoon that my walk (with the walker) has changed. It felt more natural and seemed to have an even flow to it. I hope that it continues to move in that direction!
 
Yippee!! Thank God for hubbies that don't say "No"!! I was opting for overdosing on football this afternoon when mine wanted me to join him grocery-shopping! I did and felt great!! After we put groceries away, I made a big Caesar salad with broiled shrimp and planned out my week's menus and his. He and Banjo are going home tomorrow until Saturday but I'm not feeling so abandoned as in weeks past. And the next time they come here, I'll be going home with them!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom