Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60

Wow that is the road to recovery ...two steps ahead and one back ..but you have always been vey positive through your ordeal. Don't think I could have that much patience! Glad you got to spend time with the family. Hoosiers is one of my all time favourite movies! Would love to go to a game?

Hope today is a great day for you and that it is nice and sunny!

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom Gosh! I forgot about that movie - it was a winner!! My little granddaughter (just turned 3 with a mop of bright orange curls) says "Hoo, hoo, Hoooosiers"!!! So funny :)
 
Sounds like a great time @Carriemay60 lovely family times.....hope you get those muscles sorted......do try the pool...I was terrified at first but it was soooooo easy & so lovely once I was in. Took my crutch to the pool side, wore non slip shoes....all great...go on....give it a go....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Carriemay60 Glad you had a good overall trip to Indy, and went to the bball game.
Hope your knee feels better now after that incident with the chair.
:console2: :hugzz:
 
The inevitable has happened, my OS broke up with me after 9 1/2 months. He has referred me to another rehab specialist and will see me again in June. My hip still aches a good bit but he says that is because it is not yet fully rehabilitated due to my leg and mobility issues. I am feeling really nervous about it all and maybe a bit deserted right now but he has promised to get me in with this rehab doctor ASAP.

In the meantime, I will just keep pushing on...
 
@Carriemay60

Carrie

Just dropping in to wish you a wonderful holiday season! I hope that Santa brings you a pain free 2015! You deserve all the best in the New Year.:box::window::santawave:

Thanks for all your support during my recovery this Fall! I really looked forward to your words of encouragement. They helped me get through those tough days.

Take care

Cheryl
 
@Carriemay60 Hello, I have been a tremendous slacker with updates. I hope you are doing really well and continuing with your Physio progress and muscle building. Any new progress to report? Hope so. Be well and I hope 2015 is a great recovery year for you!
 
Happy Valentine's Day to one of my BS loves! Hope you are doing well. We all miss hearing from you!

JB


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh boy! It has been ages since I updated. Not much has changed in my life. I am coming up to the 12 month mark on February 20th that I broke my knee and close to 7 months since my hip replacement. The one year mark seems to loom over me and I fight depression quite often unfortunately. Being off work for a year and all that that entails is a tough one too (my disability insurance pay worker continues to cause me nightmares and I have only had one paycheck since I have been off work - she called me Christmas Eve to tell me she ha approved a cheque like she was some kind of Saint)

I did start going to the pool and do an hour or so of walking, squats & leg swings. There is a warm pool at the bottom of the slide that is about chest deep for me and I quickly figured out I could walk without the aide of a water noodle. I shed a few tears with the joy of that feeling. I can't swim and normally am not a big fan of getting wet but if the pool is sitting around 94f it sure feels nice! The first few times I went my hubby took me from the co-ed change room in a water wheelchair right into the pool and then I used a noodle to keep me upright and prevent drowning :surfer: I still use the noodle to cross the shallow bits. Because my condition is now considered "chronic" our medical plan bought me a shiny new walker (bittersweet to qualify but it has made me much safer). I now get myself to the edge of the pool an can walk sideways into the pool using the handrails. Thank you all for your encouragement to try the pool - my leg is slowly building muscle and tone.

They sent me to see another Physiatrist for a 2nd opinion on the pain syndrome which he has firmly ruled out and was about to brush me off when I had a little fit on his head and demanded that he arrange for me to see someone that will help me and not leave me stranded in limbo. He agreed to get another surgical opinion which I am waiting on now. I have a pretty serious/chronic contracture in the knee from such lengthy casting with the knee very slightly bent. My leg will only straighten to 80 degrees and according to my Physio gal unless your leg will straighten 100% even walking with a cane is near impossible because of balance issues. I have tried the cane a few times but can't take a single step without having to grab for safety so still use crutches & walker. He ordered a new form of torture for Physio. We get my leg warmed through, then laying down they put my foot up on a 4" inch bolster and bear their body weight down on the knee. Oxy is my only friend :scare: I also hang a large can of tomatoes in a sling from my knee at home. I have done a bit of research and will be asking this new OS for opinion on the surgical release of the contracture (which the last OS refused to discuss due to poor success rates) and possible casting to force my leg straight, which I am warned is very painful. Neither sound very appealing but compared to never walking again without an aide......

The winter has been a challenge with quite a lot of snow an resulting ice about but I try to get out a few times a week at least to prevent blues brain. Our youngest daughter & her new hubby and youngest son came home to surprise my husband for his 60th birthday last week which was wonderful for me as well. Unfortunately the morning after they all arrived Norwalk virus hit the house which gives a whole new meaning to "family time". We all live through it in time to have a couple of very nice days and meals together.

I do hope you are all keeping well & happy! I am sure you are all looking forward to Spring weather and getting out to enjoy your new hips :flwrysmile: I am giving thought to some adult size training wheels for my bike once the weather improves :biking:

@beachgal @grnplatebrd @Hoppy Nanny @CanukTriMom @NoraJ @Poppet @muckingabout @MajorHeidi @toohip @Rhonda K
 
Lovely to read an update from you @Carriemay60 although would wish so many better things for you!
Can understand that all you want is to be able to walk without an aid & be free from pain at this stage....it does seem that a pain free existence is elusive to many of us and the fear & anxiety that goes with all this 'stuff' can be overwhelming at times.
I can so get why you may want to try to release the contracture in order to move forward but do not want to undergo another procedure if the success rates don't justify it.....such a dilemma.

Glad to hear that the pool is good for you....it's great to be able to move freely.....I try to go at least twice a week, it gives me quite a boost.

Have to say my THR hip is great...no pain at all....but my knee on operated side is sinking fast as is my other hip.....both will need replacing at some stage ....along with my gall bladder full of stones ....I'm still suffering a lot of pain...I'm finding it very frustrating & get very anxious about everything.....life seems to be a bit of a painful, uphill struggle sometimes........but it's nothing compared to what you have endured over the last year & am so hoping, with time, you will find a resolution.

Do hope the weather is kinder to you soon .... Do keep us updated...so lovely to hear from you.

With love & hugs.....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny

Hi Chrissie, nice to hear from you as well. Having had friends & family suffer from gallstones, I wouldn't wish that constant intense pain on anyone! I really hope you can get that resolved quickly! My father in law in Wales waiting years for gallstone surgery :( I guess all we can do in the short term is look forward to the better weather. I think if I face further joint replacements I would book very early fall or very early new year to be ready to enjoy the weather. Keep your chin up Chrissie, things can only get better :friends:
 
Loving your avatar......lovely big glass of wine by the looks of it!! May just join you. Xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Carriemay60,

It was great to see your update although I was hoping to read that you'd had better results. You amaze me with the good grace you've managed the past months in. I can only imagine the toll it takes mentally as well as physically.

I am still not wonderful my myself! I have significant back pain which is thought to be a result of my hips. My knees aren't. Very happy either and some days the pain when standing up is desperate. That said I am mobile albeit at a restricted level. I go back to my surgeon in May and will then discuss hip 2 and follow up on my knees... I have been doing aqua jogging at a local university pool and I'm hoping once works settles I'll be able to go a bit more. It fun but you most definitely feel its a work. I'm still trying to loose weight! No shock there I've lost about 21lbs but January \ February were tough months but I'm hopefully back on track.

@Hoppy Nanny, my mum just had her hernia repair surgery this weekend. They initially thought he pain was due to her gall stone but they left it alone and went to the hernia. So far so good...she has quite a bit of pain but should still be out today... I'm in my parents trying to sort out shopping and dinners. Payback time! Also credit for round 2 of my surgery when needed.

I hope the 2nd opinion gives you options and a treatment plan is decided....

Nora
 
It's been a long time since we've had an update from you. Hoping that things are better and you've been able to get a good game plan. Prayers!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom