THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jamie Thank you for your support. I have been trying for a referral for a trauma surgeon for some time now. Actually when my only issue was my leg and prior to breaking the hip. A particular Orthopedic Centre was recommended to me about an hour away. I also wrote the Head personally but unfortunately had no response. What I did finally get 5 weeks after requesting a 2nd opinion is a referral to a Physiatrist which may be a step in the right direction but the appointment is not until the end of October! As my husband points out, I have seen the original OS when I broke my leg, the surgeons when I broke my hip and now the OS on returning to our home after my hip surgery so getting referred for another "second opinion" will be a challenge to say the least. A daunting one when you are in recovery and feel a bit less than organized and energetic in your mind.
 
It is certainly my hope that I can get a referral to a trauma surgeon. I understand they have quite a different way of looking at things compared to a surgeon who specializes in joint replacement.
Yes, they can read fracture xrays better to start with! :heehee:


Speaking of which, do you have a recent xray of your tibia you can post for me to see?
 
@Carriemay60 I hope your sweet puppy Truffles is providing you many smiles.
Just want to send a virtual hug to you.... (((HUGS)))
I hope you have a comfortable day!
 
@Josephine , I don't have a disk at home but have been meaning to pick one up for ages. I will try to get some help picking one up next week.
 
@MajorHeidi , Aww, you are too sweet! I have had a few really lovely things happen to me today and this is one of them, thank you! Truffles is currently out in the back yard hunting in the grass for ants or whatever else she can sniff out ~ always nose to the ground! She desperately wants the squirrels to be her friends but of course they are having none of that. She is only just a year old but already has that beautiful sensitivity of a loyal pet that sticks to me pretty close since I have not been so great. (normally she is a daddy's girl all the way!) @grnplatebrd , you mentioned her name a while back - Basset Hounds were originally used to sniff out truffles in the bush. She will always be a leash dog as she loses all hearing when she gets a scent, lol
 
@Carriemay60
Thanks for the info about Truffles. Sounds like a great dog and nice that she is hanging close and comforting you these days. I knew Basset Hounds were scent oriented, but had no idea of that detail. Be well
 
@Carriemay60 I had a sweet beagle named George, and like Truffles he would get a scent and put his white tail up like a flag and then bugle bark for what seemed hours. Once he did drag home a deer backbone he found and acted like it was a prize. Ewww.
 
Today has been not too bad at all made so much sweeter by all the love and support from all of you! <3 My walker skidded out in front of me on the wood floor this morning and gave me quite a scare but I kept my footing and stayed safe and unharmed. Both of my naps today actually felt restful which was a treat. Our youngest son announced he will be home for a week on the 24th between his summer job and his final year of University. Sadly, I cannot make his final play tomorrow night at the Village theatre where he makes his living in the summers as Head of Lighting. He is such a rock for me and so incredibly kind & loving in his care. Someone told me he called me his "life partner" at the wedding when he was pushing me around in the chair, LOL I wish I could remember more of that day and week with all my children and grandchildren but I guess the meds were high in me and it makes a good excuse to get them all together again!! I ate my best meal yet tonight of homemade curry and rice ~ one of the 1st things my husband ever cooked for me :) A little bit of beer just made the meal. Along with the groceries, he brought a lovely bouquet of flowers and his undivided attention for the weekend. Tomorrow is super exciting as I know I am clean sheets and a will conquer that shower if it has to happen with a hose in the backyard!! Life is good :)
 
You brought me to tears! Delicious meal cooked by loving hubby. Tender sentiments from your son. Determination to shower come what may. OMG! You're a rock star!!

We had a home-cooked meal for dinner tonight from an old high school friend. A couple glasses of wine and this delicious comfort food had set the tone for a relaxed evening and restful night of sleep. Even Banjo is laid out on the floor, peering out the front door at the lizards taunting him but with zero energy to oblige.

I just can't tell you how big my "Carriemay60" smile is tonight. I'm celebrating your little victories, too.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal & @grnplatebrd , Good morning! Concentrating on the positives and being grateful is what will get me through this. Feeling a little less than stellar this morning so the day can only get better! I can't seem to get past the ache and pain that radiates just to rear and towards my lower back. If I could only get that in control, I would feel, Oh! so much better!! It is relentless, never leaving me and unfortunately was noticeable throughout the night. I assume it is muscle pain? Opinions? I also wonder how everyone sits? I don't have a recliner and really don't have room in the livingroom to rent one. We have a leather couch and I have tried putting a fairly firm pillow on it to get a better height for the footstool (which I put both legs on). Last night I tried a chair cushion from a dining chair that are made of very firm foam but after about 20 minutes I can't stand it anymore. The only place I am close to comfortable is in the bed with a bunch of pillows behind me in a reclining position but I find I fall asleep as fast as the dog and I think all that 'nothingness' in my life leads to feeling quite down. I sit in my wheelchair a couple of times a day which has a really nice memory foam seat, but again I can't tolerate it for long. I was in the wheelchair most of the day at the summer rental just after surgery and wonder how I did it? Hubby says he thinks I was too stoned to notice where I was, but I assume the muscle pain hadn't started yet. On the bright side, hubby was less rushed settling me last night (with it not being a work night) and commented as he watched me get ready and into the bed how much progress he thinks I've made since last weekend. Probably not a huge feat since I had just endured a 4 hour flight and a 4-5 drive last weekend but still felt really good to hear! I would love to hear from anyone with hints on how to sit comfortably!
 
After reading @BeachLover 's account of such a horrible hospital stay, I want to record a few thoughts for my own memory when I look back on this thread next year before donning my running shoes!

I was away from home when I fell and broke my hip but luckily still in my own country. (I have had hospital stays in Japan, Pakistan and Shanghai while living overseas but that is quite another story!!) I did have the misfortune of being taken to an inappropriate hospital after my fall and had to be transferred but from there in, things could not have better except for one nurse who thought she was .... I had a nurse appear one evening at 7pm, named Rueban. He was an Asian guy, tall and thin and as "bent as a butcher's hook". His gayness flowed from every pore of his body, lol. He started by calling me Mrs. Davies, which I really can't tolerate but quickly adapted when I asked him to call me Carrie. Rueban would spend as long as it took plumping and placing pillows to get me comfortable for the night, ensure I had fresh ice-water, my phone and call button were within reach and my blankets tucked up just perfect. I was being woken a lot at night due to very low blood pressure and timed medications that unfortunately did not always coordinate. In the night I would wake to this sweet soul gently stroking my arm saying "hello Carrie, wake up sweetie". He called me "sweetie" a lot and despite only being 54 years it was somehow okay with me under the circumstances. I was always sad to see him go in the morning and really missed his kind care on the one day he had off while I was there. I was lucky to have met him. I have a daughter who is a Cardiac Critical Care RN and I can only hope she is as kind and caring towards her patients.

My older boy (the firefighter) who lives in the city where I fell was with me and my husband as much as he could be. He stayed with me one afternoon while my husband was off organizing our suitcases and life for the drive to the wedding. Jay asked me if I had seen a particular nurse I had had that he had apparently taken a shine to. (Jay is a divorced father of 2 kiddos) I had not seen her and he asked if I had met any other nice ones. I offered up Rueban, but was very quickly shot down there!! Jay said it would be awesome if he met a nurse one day because they are in the same union and it would be wonderful for his pension. I had a really nice therapist I thought he would like so he came to physio with me for an hour and then we went off to scope out the new shift of (female) nurses. It was a fun time with my son and yes, he is still single :)
 
Good morning, @ Carriemay60! So sorry to hear of your aches. It does sound like muscles. So here's what I think. You need to rent a good firm recliner. Move out some of your furniture to accommodate it just short-term. Your healing this early in recovery is critical and you simply must have a place of comfort to sit. There is no way you can alter the leather couch with pillows or wedges to be the supportive sitting area you need now. My vote is to get a recliner. Today. You will be amazed at what a difference it makes.

Also, on your achy back, try alternating icing with heating pad. You need to coax this muscles into relaxing. In addition to a comfy place to sit, the icing and heat should help. Also, a gentle massage would be nice while hubby watches his favorite football game this weekend.

Love that you are focusing on the positives! It makes such a difference. Plenty we can't do but plenty we can! Just have to try!

Hope you have an amazing day including your shower which will make you feel like a new woman. Really.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning @Carriemay60
I would like to compliment you too on your positive mindset and reflection in your posts. Testament to your true self and spirit. I makes me sad as well that you are having such pain. I do not think I have any good advice for solving the issue and hope that others can offer some great advice. That said, I would agree with @beachgal that a recliner could be a good place to start and her other muscle soothing methods. So many people speak of the benefits of a recliner for comfort and it seems like a logical 1st option. Oh, and the shower too, that has to be good for things. It makes me happy that your husband observed your progress from the prior weekend. I hope you have relief and at least one step of progress during your day today. Hang in there
 
:loveshwr::yes!::flwrysmile:Shower ~ Check!!! It is so easy to forget just how sweet that first shower is after surgery. And, it gets better!! Hubby took my leg brace off and while seated on the bath bench, he held my legs together and got my whole darn self in that shower for the 1st time in 5 months!! (since I broke my leg I have been showering on the bath bench with my bad leg angled out like a pretzl) I only had one very brief moment of feeling unsure but it quickly passed as that lovely hot water poured over me from head to both feet! A great back scrub was thrown in for good measure and that sweet, sweet man did it all with my dignity firmly intact :) I think I even got the last of that nasty tape residue off my stomach from my toradol butterfly. Oh Happy Days!! Now that I am over that initial fear, I am sure I can manage that every second day and will get back to my daily showering once I do not need help lifting my leg.

In other news, I ordered a medi-lift recliner which sadly won't be delivered until Tuesday, but that's better than Wednesday! BBQ salmon, mashed taters and broccoli. My celebration dessert will be a little splash of Baileys over ice! My day has been perfection!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom