THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60, I'm seeing RED!! Grrrrrrr .... My sister had a broken leg twenty years ago and she was as disabled then as I am now with THR. I cannot imagine all that's on your plate!!

There had GOT to be another course of action. This is ridiculous. And don't get me started on the pain meds.

:-(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60, would you say that your hip replacement is the lesser of two evils and that it's the fracture and that fact you can't bear weight on your now atrophied leg is the problem? Is the atrophied leg on the same side or opposite side of your hip replacement?

Is your new OS overseeing rehab for both issues?

I can completely understand your frustration.
 
@cthipster Yes, I do think the hip is the lesser evil. Hard to explain but I can feel that it wants to get on with it an if I can get the dead weight of my leg off it, it feels not too bad. Both injuries are to the right side. @beachgal , I was blown away by my broken leg and how devastating it was to daily life. I had no appreciation at all for what people with broken legs were going through. Apparently a tibial plateau is one of the worst breaks you can have due to it's location and the amount of load that area of the leg takes.

Yesterday the surgeon manipulated my knee and leg to test the strength and bent it way beyond my comfort zone, ignoring me when I was saying "Enough"!!! so today the back of my knee is feeling very sore and strained. I can't straighten it out completely so it feels like a setback. I have an old co-worker popping in this afternoon who is a homecare nurse so I will ask her to massage it a bit and ice it. Despite me saying that Oxycocet was not working for pain, that is what he gave me and I have been awake most of the night with leg and hip pain. My hip pain feels back up to where it was at day 2 & 3? or thereabouts. I think I need to phone my family doc to see if he can manage my pain meds because not only are these not tackling the pain but I will run out on Friday.

I have to get myself back to a more positive frame of mind ~ I believe that will always be my biggest healer!
 
:badspidy:@cthipster , forgot your question about how both issues will now be handled. I was told yesterday that I must see my old O/S for my knee and the new guy for my hip only!!! They are not in the clinic on the same days of the week and a typical appointment time is often 3 hours with the waiting time. How ridiculous!
 
Yesterday felt like such a set back in so many ways it was depressing. When we went to the O/S the day before he said the tibia bone was healed and I did not need the leg brace. Rather than going with that advice 100% I should have thought back to the surgeons in Edmonton and their advice to keep it on. They felt it was important enough to provide me with a new one with a hinge that will gradually strengthen the leg. The O/S here had also bent my leg (knee to the ceiling) far beyond my comfort zone and I think must have strained some muscles that had been locked up in a rigid zimmer for 4.5 months which left it feeling very sore indeed. My leg would not straighten out anymore making the walker difficult. If I pushed it out hard, I could almost get it to the floor and I did do that a few times to try and loosen it up but could not hold it for more than a few seconds. He had changed my pain killers to Oxycocet alone and through the morning the pain in my leg and hip just felt worse and worse. In the hip I felt like I had a large painful ball like the size of a large grapefruit on the posterior.

Here you get referred to the Orthopedic Fracture Clinic that different doctors visit on different days of the week - you take you get the 1st time and that's your O/S. With the pain increasing, I called the clinic in hopes of getting in touch with the doctor (or even the resident that had been with him). I was told he has no office set up and is new to the clinic but to go through "paging" to speak with him. Paging said there was no reply and I would have to just keep trying back for the chance of reaching him when he was in the hospital and available for a call - no messages could be taken. Tried to page the Resident; only hospital staff can page them apparently. Called back to the clinic and was told to go emergency! Facing another 6-8 hours in the emergency hell of waiting I tried the family doctor clinic (all different doctors) and they got me for late afternoon.

You could have knocked me over when I saw this doctor, he seriously looked like he should be preparing for grade 8!!! Nevertheless, his name tag said "Physician". After much debate with himself, he left me on the Oxycocet and added Tylenol. Despite a history of a bleeding ulcer he asked me several times to consider anti-inflamatory options. The friend who had taken me to the doctor, who is a palliative home care nurse (not an RN) thought one thing that might help is to put the leg brace back on and wean the leg from it gradually as she wondered if the leg had gone into some kind of hyper nerve reaction. She could feel the tension and could see it clenching up. Made sense to me so we put the brace back on and will remove it for an hour or two a few times a day?

Until my next appointment with the O/S in 4 weeks I have no way of contacting my doctor and pain meds will be handled by a family clinic doctor. This just seems insane to me. I know we have to be involved and invested in our own recovery but I am not knowledgeable enough to handle my recovery solo. I feel my hands are tied in the system and short of travelling to another city and making up some story of why I am there I am stuck. All I can do for now is have faith in each day being a new one and hoping it is better than the last.
 
This is the most bizarre set of events ever! I know you must work within the framework of your health care system but ... Not being able to contact your doctor directly is absurd.

I think the wearing of the leg brace and weaning off it slowly is a good idea. Don't forget the icing for additional pain relief and swelling.

It's frustrating at best. Try to keep your chin up and know that each day you ARE moving forward even if it doesn't feel that way.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60
Your circumstances and experiences are heartbreaking and summed up as outrageous. I can surely understand how you feel at a loss. I wish I could offer some kind of advice or words that could help. I am glad that Bonesmart is a resource for you and all of us as it provides a venue that hopefully allows you to feel understood, heard and not alone in struggles. Be well and I hope you receive some sort of progress or relief during the day
 
@beachgal , Thank you for you support. It really does mean the world. Every time I ice I think I really must remember this more often, it just feels sooooo good! Pain levels seem down a bit today, I have done some exercises that I can feel are working my thigh and butt a few times today but mostly slept. I lay down to change pressure and soreness on my butt and lower back and try to read, but swear I've been reading the same page since my surgery! :)
 
@grnplatebrd , Thank you! It is true, the support I feel here either in my own thread or by reading others is wonderful. Sharing a burden or concern feels like a release to me. I haven't come up with ideas to make my O/S situation better but I find I still have little brain power or organization and something just may come to me yet! In the meantime, seeing words of encouragement to each other on this site is uplifting and ideas useful. I hope you have a nice evening and a more comfortable night. I feel concerned for you that your pain levels are higher at night and wish I could give you some ideas for a more comfortable sleep. My bed (or the guest bed where I now sleep) are by far my most comfortable place to be.
 
@Carriemay60
Thanks for your words and encouragement as well. You are a kind and spirited person. Tough too, you have endured quite a bit. You keep a really positive attitude through all this. As far as sleep, well, I feel it is just a combination of when my last pain med wears off and it is the most stationary I am all day. Last night I woke about the same time, but I just elevated my legs and that did the trick until I woke for good at 6:30
 
@Josephine , My apologies, I had a partial hip replacement; I am not very familiar with the terminology although I am learning a lot here! When I went to the O.R. I was expecting a total hip replacement but despite my RA history they found the socket to be in fairly good shape with no fracture. My hope is that it will last as long as the new ball.

The surgeons in Alberta did not diagnose RSD but felt it should be explored with regard to my knee. Since I was cleared to start physio with the knee, it would swell and become painful often to the point of not being able to do anything the following day. My home physio backed up on exercises and set less every other day with the idea of building more gradually. At the time she suspected my arthritis was playing a role or the knee just wasn't ready. Also because my OS had just done (bone) xrays she wondered if there could be underlying soft tissue damage. Over time I could push the knee to tolerate about 10 pounds but the exercises still played havoc. (I was still in a full leg zimmer at this time) That's where I was when I left for our daughter's wedding and broke my hip. My OS was of the mind that I should be walking without a problem as the bone was showing as healed on x-ray. However, at the same appointment the day before my trip he said he wanted to see me in 8 weeks to fit me for a custom brace which seemed like a total contradiction to me.

When I had the tibial plateau fracture, we were in Jamaica and I did not get the break confirmed for 2 days when we got home, hoping I had just banged it up bad. At home the surgeon found it to be "acceptably displaced" and not requiring surgery. As another note: At approximately 12 weeks in I thought I was safe to have a more complete shower, took the zimmer off and was sliding backwards onto my bath bench supporting the broken leg. When I thought I was far enough back for the bath bench to be under my knee I let go and my leg dropped suddenly and fast! into a fully bent position. The pain was excruciating, accompanied by about 3 loud popping noises and a what seemed to be a long drawn out crunching/grinding noise. The advice of my OS was to go to the ER for x-ray. No further break was shown and the subject was dropped.

While in Alberta, one of my surgeons got asking a number of questions about my leg and it's healing. He then asked if I had had other events in life which were mostly confirmed. The ones I remember include my RA, multiple confirmed miscarriages, shingles. He said RSD should be explored based on my answers.

If my scar is on the side of my hip (like a panty seam) am I right that this is considered "lateral"?

Thank you Josephine for taking the time to read my thread. Any insight and/or advice you might have would be very appreciated.

Carrie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@grnplatebrd , I also find the night hours a bit too long a stretch for painkillers. I often set my alarm to take pain meds about 1/2 way through the night and at the same time visit the washroom so I am not in such a panic in the morning. I have found I wake in the morning feeling more rested that way. Just a thought.
 
Hi @Carriemay60, I just saw your thread today and my heart went out to you. The sheer stress of all and the lack if continuity in your care is awful. I hope you get some joy with managing your pain relief.
 
I was expecting a total hip replacement but despite my RA history they found the socket to be in fairly good shape with no fracture. My hope is that it will last as long as the new ball.
Well, research has shown that though the socket was in good shape at the time of surgery, bone doesn't actually like to bear against metal so it might not last as long as you might think. Sorry.
I had the tibial plateau fracture. At home the surgeon found it to be "acceptably displaced" and not requiring surgery
Your fracture is only 5 months old. The trouble with tibial plateau fractures is that they do not cope well with weight bearing. As you can see from this xray, the fragment is usually cantilevered and thus ill-equipped to deal with weight bearing. "Acceptably displaced" also tells me that it was displaced some. Hence the pain you have been experiencing.

[Bonesmart.org] Happy for any advice!


I would go so far as to say that, from my experience in trauma, all tibial plateau fractures require internal fixation though in the past it was thought that some could be left to heal on their own. It was also thought that fracture patellae and clavicles could be left to heal naturally but it is now known that internal fixation on admission achieves much better functionality in the long term.

So I would surmise from what you are saying that it is likely the fracture actually hasn't healed all that well yet and weight bearing is confirming this. In short, I think you need to get a second opinion from a good trauma surgeon or knee surgeon.
I also find the night hours a bit too long a stretch for painkillers. I often set my alarm to take pain meds about 1/2 way through the night
Absolutely! Always use your alarm clock for meds!
 
@Carriemay60, there will always be laundry to do, cars to drive, and lovely showers to take but I'm depending on you to get some healing behind you before you get wicked!! In the mean time, I'll misbehave a bit for both of us!

Let's get some answers and get some of your pain addressed so you can live out a long, happy life! I'm here for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I wish I knew more about the Canadian health care system to be able to help you. I'm so sorry for you having to go through all this!!! Are you able to make an appointment with a trauma surgeon? Are there ways to research one near you? Or can you travel???
 
@Josephine , thank you so much for your ideas and observations. It is certainly my hope that I can get a referral to a trauma surgeon. That has been recommended to me before I broke my hip and I understand they have quite a different way of looking at things compared to a surgeon who specializes in joint replacement. It's a pity that with a sudden trauma we do not have the opportunity to research who might be the best fit for us. In reality, I think we seldom get the opportunity (in Canada) to choose our specialists but take who we are referred to and are happy to get the referral. Carrie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom