THR Had THR surgery at 31<

Layla, Josephine, Mojo333

Thanks so much for all the replies:)

Was speaking to mum the other day, she suggested I get onto the hospital and speak to the surgeon. She said “he has been paid for your surgery, and you haven’t seen him since”.

Like I have said previously, he is one of the best at what he does. So I could possibly have osteoporosis, or like Josephine mentioned, could have just been fractured during surgery. Resident Dr said they do “multiple xrays” during surgery. But to be fair, a surgeon should hopefully be able to interpret a xray better than a radiologist Dr.

Just my luck to have probably been the only stuff up surgery! I mean accidents happen, would like it to either be resolved or have my questions answered for if I was to leave it.

I have the scan request for the bone density scan, but I have been putting it off :(

Work wise, I am doing ok. Did 12 hours last week, and about 23 or 24 this week, hopefully I will attempt a full week (38) next week.

I am being extra careful. You don’t realize how much you squat and lift, until you get told you can’t do it because I have altered my actions for when I pick something up, I feel I may be putting too much pressure on the normal hip. (If I need to pick something up, I do so like a golfer retrieving a ball from the hole).

I have noticed my gait though, I can understand what the Dr means about the “waddle”, probably more in my self conscious mind than anything though! Can feel my body shift to the left more.

Sleeping is still sort of uncomfortable I keep switching (non operated side, back, operated side) also noticed getting down to the ground and back, is more painful and awkward , as I know I have to be very careful how I position my leg.

Have a little bit of inner thigh soreness, which is weird as I haven’t done anything different at work. Had to move a few boxes of water today, got help so I wasn't squatting down and lifting.

Apart from all that, generally just a little bit depressed. Has hit home a little bit, that my life has changed. I will be looking to file a claim against the builder, if he did make that area not up to code and possibly the council who signed off on the unit. All the things I would love to do, that I can’t do now although not that I did them before, but it’s the principle!

I do understand that without having the fractures seen to I will probably be in a little bit of pain.

Anyhow thanks again for all the replies and well wishes, it means a lot I hope I can contribute to others here, like I have received!
 
:wave:I have been thinking about you and what your next steps might be.
It sounds like you have done very well at being mindful of work practices...I'm very glad you are taking precautions!
I agree with your mum about addressing issues with OS...not exactly sure what would be the net result of that but should be interested to know what his take on the situation is.
Not that he's likely to give you the true down and dirty on it :umm:
It's been three months since you've had THR and I would only goes with all of the new revelations you would be down.:sigh:

I wish I could find words to lift you up and out of your funk but I do hope you know we are all rooting for you!
Sending good Mojo your way @guitarpunk :friends:
 
I'm so sorry. This isn't what you signed up for. Don't lose hope, you are young and strong and can still have a very bright future. Continue to move forward in an effort to get the answers you're looking for and the happy ending you're dreaming of. We'll be here to support you along the way, so stop in anytime you need some support or encouragement. We care.
I hope you have a great rest of the week!
@guitarpunk
 
@thanks Layla! Everyone here is great. Now I know I have a fracture, I have noticed with work I can feel it moving. Probably because I am more active! If only it would go down towards the bone:(

But yeah doing ok, just a little down:)
 
Sorry you're feeling down :console2:
I hope today is a good day and things begin looking brighter soon.
Have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:
@guitarpunk
 
I also wish you some distraction this weekend from "all things hip related"
Keep the faith, @guitarpunk !
 
:wave:friend.
Have been working for you and hoped you would pop by to let us know how you are doing?
I really hate that you are having to go through all this and hope you know we are all wishing you well.
:friends:
 
Hi Mojo,

Yeah I have been alright, a real bit down at the moment.

My physio had a good look st my problem knee, couldn’t feel a fracture; and my PCL, ACL, meniscus, ligaments and tendons are all intact. So that is good news! He could feel the little bit I think is a bakers cyst. Basically said most likely from that leg still talking more weight than it should be, given that my operated leg isn’t as good. I did say I would visit the dr though.

Work are being difficult, I can’t move as easily as I used to, and getting down on the ground is more difficult at the moment.

Apart from all of that, I am doing well, just fighting the depression and bad thoughts in my head:)
 
One of our staff @Pumpkln had had the unfortunate experience of a rupture with a Baker's cyst.
Sounds miserable.
Will be happy to help you fight the bad thought demon.
Please stay in touch...I whined considerably during recovery.
I would welcome it as penance:heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@guitarpunk,
I have had a Baker cyst for years, about 2 months ago my leg started feeling funny, achy, as if I had a calf strain.
Suddenly about 5 weeks ago, when I stood up, felt a sharp pain, ended up in the ER with a rapidly swelling calf.
Turned out it was a ruptured Bakers cyst. Excruciatingly painful the first days.
Recommend you see your Dr about your painful Bakers cyst, they can drain it for you to help prevent a rupture.
 
Hi mojo and pumpkin,

Yeah I think it is what I have, fits the symptoms. The physio said their is a little mass he can feel (which i said I can feel) does fit feel of a water balloon. Checked behind my operated leg knee, and said it is normal. Would explain the fluid at each side of my knee as well! He did say the clicking I feel in the knee would most likely be the crepitus. (Feels like the knee isn’t cushioned, when I walk)

Will also start the knee strengthening exercises as well, but yeah will have to drop in and see my GP.

Yeah depression is annoying! Always had it, got a little bad after the surgery though! Do have to go and see my phychiatrist, and see if their is a psychologist she recommends, as I don’t want to increase my medication. I do have some Valium for bad anxiety days, but haven’t needed it yet:) actually GP was a little quick to give me a bottle.

Apart from all of that, am doing fairly well:)
 
Layla,

Yes my GP is really good, it was one of the other GP’s at the surgery who wouldn’t send me for a x ray. When I went back and said did the other dr tell you about my operation? And he said “yes he did” , didn’t know I think that they were going to do a full THR. He said at the time “I’m not so surprised you broke your hip, it’s the fact that you went 8 weeks, and suffered with it” I said “yep, swimming in pools, balancing on one leg because physio told me too”

I was so surprised the physio’s didn’t notice the “external rotation” and that my leg was shorter than the other (3cm or just over a inch) that is what annoys me the most!

I was quite sore today, unpacked pallets and stuff, so really feeling it in the bad knee:) I do favour that leg, which explains why it is sore, physio said also probably because of the GT fracture, and that I am not walking 50/50 weight distribution, so the non operated leg takes a lot of the weight.

Honestly the hip is perfect at work, have no problems, do notice the fracture though, especially in some movements. Can feel it click around the hip bone. Just find getting down to the ground and back up is awkward, so have to hold on to something. Physio said should all become good with muscle strength. I will have to think about getting the other fracture fixed, doesn’t really limit what I do, but is annoying because I still walk weird. Will see what the hospital says in January.

I love this group, so many great comments and people around to help us all through it!
 
You certainly have soldiered through all of this and I'm sure that though you feel no real problem at work..you feel it later.
That was how it was for me anyway.:unsure:
We do what we must, I suppose, but please do be so very cautious...as much as possible.
Don't want to hear of any further complications..
Think you have had your share and alot of it had to do with the "professionals" not catching it.
:doh:
I hope that you have a safe and comfortable week, friend!:yes:
 
@guitarpunk You will continue to gain strength for many months. Meanwhile use surfaces or furniture to get up and down from the floor. It took awhile for the muscles to atrophy. It may take at least that amount of time to rebuild your strength. You'll get there!
 
Thanks Layla and Jaycey,

I am just about at my breaking point atm. I am going to go back to my GP to find out about the knee pain, but it seems to make sense what the physio and everyone has said, the right leg is compensating for the left leg with the GT, so most of my weight goes into my right side. It wasent much to worry about, but standing all day at work, gets extremely painful. The pain although there, isn’t as bad as it has been.

I do feel the waddle I have does complicate things. Like I said the knee was sore before I did the hip, but nothing like it is now.

I can also feel the GT move (assume it’s the GT or the LT fragment. During certain bending movements, physio said I can bend and retrieve items, just not deep squat and lift. So I make sure I don’t do the latter, is amazing how you still instinctly go and do it.

Yep, getting down and up off the ground is the hardest, at the moment I drop to my knees, and then put my hands out in front of me (like a baby would crawl)

Sad part is, I am like this at 31!

When I go to my next appointment, I will ask to see the surgeon, or if he is unavailable will ask to schedule a appt with him.

I’m sure I may get better in the coming months, but at the moment, feel pretty crappy:)
 
:umm:I was so hoping things had gotten better for you!
I'm afraid your work is making it worse and it is obvious something has to be done.
is amazing how you still instinctly go and do it.
I do alot if offloading donations at my job and it is still hard to remember I need to pick up...turn..and put down...not twist around. It is terrible for my hips...but it's a default habit.

I'm so sorry you are bummed out.
Hope your appointment is soon...and if you don't feel satisfied with his recommendation, I do hope you consider a second opinion!
Much Sympathy and prayers for Answers!:console2:
 
Thanks mojo!

Much appreciated:)

Yeah, now I am back at work, I have a lot more pain generally! Which I knew would happen, if it gets really bad I just take some paracetamol/codeine. I unfortunately can’t take a anti-inflammatory with my one kidney, so the pain isn’t as well controlled as it could be. (GP did say that I can use the anti inflammatory gels, which I have been doing, apparently nurofen and other anti inflammatory medications are quite hard on the kidney).

Apart from the general pain, I am doing ok, just a little bummed out generally. But yes, in the mean time I am going to check in with my GP, as he won’t be aware of the fracture, see what can be done painwise, and see what he suggests with my next appointment. Again, if the correct diagnosis was made originally, it may have been a different story (probably wouldn’t have been so much osteopenia etc).

Ah well, just gonna deal with things one at a time. :)
 
Please...Make getting this leg fixed priority one, my friend.
Pain relief is important for rest and sanity, but that won't be a solution .
I hope you still ice when possible?

I shall be keeping fingers crossed that you get a reprieve from all this frustrating pain.:fingersx:
 
Yes mojo,

I do still ice where I am sore especially when I am on the couch. Was funny was changing a section around at work, only comfortable way to work was to lay on the ground, one of the girls walks over “kane, you ok down there?” And I go “yeah this is the only comfortable position I can find to do this task!”

Physio still thinks I am walking well considering I have the fractures:) I see him next Saturday, will update you all then.
 
Back
Top Bottom