THR Had THR surgery at 31<

Thanks Layla and Jaycey,

Yeah apart from my knee as that leg is still compensating, I have felt pretty good. Physio and dr said is related to the operated hip, I will mention it to the hospital on my next visit, see what they think.

I still do at the moment, not stand “straight” all the time, still subconsciously shift my weight around, didn’t notice that much until someone at work pointed it out. So I am working on standing straight...as that probably has a bearing on the pain I feel.

Onwards and upwards from here I assume:)

Oh I'm so happy to see you post.
I've thought about you and hoped that things were improving.
I do hope your knee "straightens up" so you can be out of pain.

Wishing you a healthy happy 2019
:yahoo:

Thanks Mojo:)

Yeah I felt bad, I had not posted in a while:)

My right leg is very tight through my hamstring (inner thigh one) . Like I said previously, dr had a look in December and said it needs rest apparently (hard to do, when I am standing all day at work!)

I can feel the fluid move “down” the Inner thigh side of the knee. Knee is a little swollen as well due to the fluid:) I did have knee pain in that leg from about January last year, it did get a lot better after I did my hip, physio said most likely due to the crutches. It was not swollen at that time though.

I was reading last night, about my gait I have due to the fracture in the operated leg. I read that your hip takes 3x your body weight during walking, and that 2/3’s of it is through the muscles where the GT fracture is!

This month I am going to get off my butt and do the physio exercises, see how that helps me. Thank you to everyone for the great support:)

I can see how some targeted strengthening and stretches might help...also possibly gait training.
Do please be mindful and don't do anything overly aggressive
As you say, you get plenty of "exercise" from work...and I do hope that you aren't tasked with alot of heavy lifting.
That's what's been hard for me to avoid with my job.
Still recovering hips don't like that, for sure. And if I had a mending fracture..I'd be nervous!
Let us know how you are getting on from time to time!
We are rooting for you @guitarpunk

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven’t been posting as much lately:)

I had my dreaded visit with the hospital, I got good and bad news

The good is:-
The piece of bone although not reattached, has ossified and has grown pieces of bone, dr said that is a good thing (apparently).

The bad:-
Do I want surgery to fix the greater trochanter?

The dr I had was really good, answered every question I had, also had a cute Irish accent:)

She said what I already knew, without the piece attached, my body can’t centre the weight over the operated hip. She said “you have to ask yourself, does it bother you enough to want more surgery”

I asked what would be involved, she said they would attach the bone, she did say the claw and wire is a way of doing that, I think she mentioned another way as well. She said that I would not be able to weight bear on the leg for 6 weeks and would need to get around on crutches (not a big deal to me).

Also said risks of the surgery:-
Bone could come away again at another time, and the new surgery has the small percentage of introducing a infection into the prosthesis.
She said “we don’t tell you this to scare you, we do hundreds of thousands of orthopedic surgeries every year, we see every complication, so even if it is even 1% we will tell you, but on a per patient basis, it is a very low risk”

She got me to walk and then said “the waddle you have is only very slight, I would have expected a more pronounced one, just by looking at your X-ray”

I basically said at the moment, I have no sick or annual leave at work, so if I wanted to do something, it would have to be later on. She said “yeah..see how you go with physical therapy, and how you improve, if you want to see us more urgently, just give us a call”

Did say what I knew, without the surgery walking will never be back to “normal”

I didn’t think I would have so much “downtime” with a little bit of bone being reattached!

I asked to see the xrays they took during surgery, and she took me through those she goes “this one is a test fit into the cup” “this one is one of the implants going in” “this one is of your right hip, which they use to get the positioning right on the other hip” was absolutely fascinating to see.

I am a little dejected about the prospect of more surgery, but I honestly knew it would probably be the case.

I showed her my fluid on my knee, she said, isn’t a lot I can do, apart from take anti imflammatories (which isn’t recommended with the one kidney) and just exercise. I might take a trip back to the dr’s and see if he can give me something for the fluid, or drain it..., but she did say it’s most likely from compensating....

Last edited by a moderator:
:wave:Glad to see your post...I've wondered how you've been.:unsure:
And your surgeon sounds like a gem...taking lots of time to explain all in detail and giving it to your straight about the recovery.:)
I wish you did not have to weigh the off time into your decision...and hate to see your knee and the rest of your body having to be stressed because things aren't alright...but it is the real world of course and as I am not independently wealthy either, it is a factor.
Would be nice, given your age, to have this done and be healing and getting on with things so you don't cause issues with your knees and just be done.
I don't envy you for the choices you agree faced with, but do stay in touch.
We are rooting for you!
:friends:

Thanks @Mojo333 !

I totally agree. The nurse said that all the dr’s are surgeons, although the dr I had did say she was one of the orthopedic dr’s that work with my surgeon. (Surgeon who did my op run the department).

She all in all, spent about 30mins with me, and like you said, told it to me straight. A few questions I forgot to ask was “how did it happen?” And “how often does this happen after surgery”

I totally agree about my body in general, operated leg is in no pain at all, but my other leg is in pain, which is what I said.

But like I said, physio has checked my knee, can feel the click during movement, he is not concerned, nor is my GP. But it is the fluid that is causing me the drama!

I think, I will just have to man up and get stuck into my exercises:) certain movements are pain free (exercise bike is one!)

But yes, the dr I had today, along with the original dr that saw me, both were extremely helpful.

I said to the dr today “everyone here, is so lovely, especially for a public hospital, I have received great care” she said “thank you, it is lovely to get patient feedback”

I was chatting to mum, as I stayed there tonight (I took the Friday off work, so a three day weekend!) I said to mum “I know I need the surgery, but 6 weeks back on crutches, not weightbearing on that leg, almost feels like back to square 1”

I’m not too sure how I am going to break the news to work, think I am just going to have to say “look, something has changed, I may need another surgery to fix it”

I agree..and am actually very relieved to hear you say that as much as you hate to consider being back on a recovery sabbatical...you are too young to be resigned to a "wait and see " approach.
Bet Mom agrees...sooner the better.:yes:
Maybe @Josephine will lend her insight and she might be able to tell you if getting that fluid off of your knee in the meantime would be something you need to pursue. Above my pay grade for sure.:)
Many who have had recent revisions were ever so happy to finally get a resolution and have done very well.
Would like to see you healthy and happy! You've been through an awful lot this past year.:umm:

All the best mojo coming your way!:friends:

Thanks for the reply! Yep totally agree!
Mum said “look you haven’t gotten married and had kids, at the moment you probably couldn’t run around with them, if you had them. You are only nearly 32!”

Yeah like I said, dr said leg is perfectly fine, it isn’t going to get any worse, so she said it is not urgent. Just my luck though, probably the only one in thousands of operations they do, do have a complication like this:)

I didn’t think I would have so much “downtime” with a little bit of bone being reattached!
A fracture is a fracture no matter what the size of the fragment! And they all have a 12 weeks 'repair' time.
A few questions I forgot to ask was “how did it happen?” And “how often does this happen after surgery”
Nobody knows why these things happen and it's actualy quite a rare occurrence.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562