THR Had THR surgery at 31<

Hi :wave:
Great update. Sounds like you're progressing nicely.
And just think...it will get even better. :yes!:
I hope you have a wonderful Spring. Keep us posted as you move forward.
All the best to you!
@guitarpunk
 
So happy to hear from you and hear you are doing well.
Still really days but great that you got report and can do some gentle exercising so you can continue on this recovery journey.
Sometimes things do seem to stagnate, but I feel like your slow and steady progress will serve you well in the future.
No chronic issues.
Yay for spring and the pool.:flwrysmile:
Keep in touch!
 
Yeah! Thanks @Layla and @Mojo333 .

Yeah I knew in my mind how far I had came in 5 weeks, so I knew that as long as the X ray was good, I would be ok:)

The left leg is so good now, can balance pretty well on the operated leg after a shower to get dressed.

I did moderate exercise today, about 8mins on the exercise bike, about 60 clam shells and a few single leg bridges. Physio did say we need to get the strength back, but I wanted to see how I pull up overnight. I remember pre surgery when I didn’t know i had fractured the hip, doing a fair few adductions and waking up during the night in really bad pain:(
 
Do listen to your body..I know you want to get those muscles stronger but the clamshells and bridges really make me nervous for you.:unsure:
PT is a confusing issue for many, we want to be good compliant patients and get well.

If it hurts, don't do it...can cause chronic issues that will make recovery even longer.:sigh:
Lots of healing still happening !
Wishing you all the best.:ok:
 
Will do, thanks @Mojo333 :)

Yes, I can tell when the muscles are being worked.

Once before the Dx of the hip fracture, I placed a foam roller on the carpet and I was rolling my hip into it, that is probably the most pain I have ever been in, since the day of the fall. I remember going back to physio saying “well tried that ...it was way too painful”

Funny how all these “little things” were missed, that were suggesting the fracture:)

I will let everyone know how I am getting on, I may even go to the pool this week:) (my parents pool isn’t heated:( )
 
Funny how all these “little things” were missed
Sure, sure.
Minor detail:blackcloud:

You've come a long way, don't monkey it up now!:bignono:
Hope it warms up so you can get some hydrotherapy.
And be mindful of time spent in the pool too..easy to overdo. It never hurts until you stop!:)
 
Hi everyone!

Just posting a update:)

Hip is fantastic, still feels a little different to the right leg, Physio said it will most likely feel different for some time, possibly forever:(

My physio actually broke his tibia playing soccer, and has a metal rod in his leg, so it’s nice to see he knows somewhat what it is like. He said it took him around 5 months to walk without a limp, so just to keep at it.

From a physio perspective, I seem to be walking so much better! The muscles on the operated leg still are tight to the touch, and the hip is still
Leaning, when I stand on that leg, but it is getting a heap better, funny because I don’t notice it, but the physio does:) Getting up from sitting, still feels not that natural, I instinctively shift my body weight accross, but once I am up, I am good:)

I have my crepitus In my right knee, and also a tight hamstring (inner thigh side) physio said this is probably because my leg took so much of my weight for so long, this is getting better though:)

Sleeping still feels somewhat uncomfortable, which is weird because now I can sleep on the operated side. So I usually switch from on my back, to right side (non operated hip) and left side (THR hip).

I have been walking a bit, done 2.5km a few times the knee with the hamstring gets the most sore, the hip is generally fine. I did once “overdo” it one day, and was sore on both hips for about 24hrs

I go back to the hospital next Friday, hopefully I can be cleared for some work, as I am slowly going crazy at home:) work didn’t seem too impressed when I walked in today and said “just a heads up, hospital will most likely put me on reduced hours for a little bit, as I will get fatigued easier, plus the hip will get sore!)

I had a chat with the owner who was ok about it, did think I should have been upping my strength generally (like arms) as I said I lifted 10kg and walked with it at the physio, and I was not used to the weight (something I would not have worried about doing beforehand). Does want me back, I said how I want to come back, but just be prepared things may have to be altered in the short term.

A little annoyed when I walked out, walked in on a bit of a high, and came out deflated:(

physio basically said I will get fatigued and the hip muscles will get sore (both sides do get generally sore if I do too much at the moment, probably because I have been doing very little for the best part of 6 months:) Also the amount of walking I do in my job (sometimes upwards of 20 000 steps). Boss did think because I can walk fairly good, I should be able to work, but again, will be a bit of a shock to my body, going from nothing to that straight up, which is why I said hospital will probably alter my hours to begin with.

Apart from all of that:) been doing fairly good. Went into Brisbane on Monday to see “the living end” (Melbourne punk/rockabilly band) you may know them in the US as well), they were doing a few acoustic songs, and signing copies of their album or pretty much anything you took in:) so I parked in the centre car park, then walked down 6 flights of stairs, hip was great:) I ended up buying a vinyl copy of the album and the CD and got them all signed , did ask the guitarist for a guitar pick, I said how I play and have a great collection, and would like to add another one to it). He did have a car accident years ago on the great ocean road, and had his leg pinned with a rod from memory until it healed , I said how I did my hip and asked how long it took him to walk again, he said it took a while, but Don’t worry, it will come good:) walked out, and realized I didn’t get a photo:( absolutely Annoyed that I forgot:)
 
:wave: nice to hear update!
Very cool that you got signed copies and your pick! I haven't heard of the band but I'm googling it later.
Tuesday, in my town, The Devon Allman project is in town which features the sons of guitarists Gregg Allman and Dickie Betts.
If you haven't heard of them you should google them.
Cool music!
I don't know what your actual job is, but it sounds like your physio is very good and is giving you realistic expectations .
I'm sorry it seems like it is going slow but you sound fabulous for just over two months and if this focused recovery gives you a good hop for life, it will be well worth it.
Carrying heavy things not good for new hippys.
Hope you have a great day!:SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Mojo333 ! Thanks for the reply.

So “the living end” is a Aussie band from my hometown of Melbourne. They are sort of a punk band but with rockabilly sort of influences. The bass player actually plays a Double bass, which is pretty cool to see. The guitarist usually literally jumps onto the bass and does a guitar solo. They have had success in the US and Europe, so you may know their music if you hear it. the guitarist actually lives in LA now.

Gregg allman rings a bell, I have heard the name before.

In regards to my job, I am a storeman in a pharmacy so I do a lot of organizing in the storeroom, unpacking pallets, putting stock onto shelves out the back and filling display dump bins when we have a catalogue etc.
20kg (44 lbs, I know the US isn’t a big fan of metric!) is the normal safe weight to lift without help. They seem to think I am “overestimating” what I do lift, but I thought well even generally, if I am repitivly lifting a amount, I will of coarse get sore at the hip, as you always get told to “lift with your legs not your back” and then their is things like how I would grab a pallet and move it by myself, at the moment I would need a hand.

I mean honestly though, I lifted my 55” TV which ironically started playing up about 4 weeks after surgery, probably shouldn’t have:) but I was sensible and made sure I was quite even when lifting it .
But I suppose, especially being a uncemented replacement, probably more risk of something moving, in the short term, until it starts to heal.

Yeah Physio is really good, probably a similar age to me. Said “if the hospital doesn’t give you that much guidance about returning to work, just give me a ring, and I’ll help you out with a plan” is really knowledgeable always asks if I have questions, and if I do just give them a call.

Compared to the physio’s I had before, chalk and cheese, as the saying goes.
 
I am regularly picking up boxes of 40 lbs at my work...but didn't do it regularly, actually tried not to..until probably 3 or 4 months out.
Not that I couldn't, just wanted to give hip all the time I could.
Thankfully I have a small army ,most of the time, of volunteers who I tried to remember to call when it was necessary.
Obviously, the pick up and twist is the worst motion which is hard to avoid if not extremely mindful and aware.
I've just done it so long and when there is alot to unload hard to transfer one at a time safely.
The Allman Brothers are an awesome southern rock band (he just recently died) and he and his brother Duane also are awesome slide and blues guitar! They actually perform a song about my town "Statesboro Blues"
Check it out when you get time!
This is a tribute performance coming up.
Hope I can go.
 
Yes I will do:)

Yeah the pick up and sort of turn, I heard that is the easiest way to dislocate the joint, although physio did say “they make it sound scarier than it is, it’s about 1-3%” he did say after the 6 week mark, the likelihood keeps decreasing:)

I saw that instead of that, you have to do little steps, instead of turning the leg in the one motion, I make sure I always do this, even at home:)
 
I've done it the wrong way die to large quantities..
No dislocation...or sharp pain...just super sore for days after ..Muscles still rehabbing and low back ache.
I try to be mindful also.
 
Yep, seems to make sense!

Physio said “sounds very scary, what you read about dislocation, in reality it is very rare” and then said the 1-3% like I said above. Due to this forum, I saw how it is more common in the first 6 weeks, then slowly decreases.

One problem I have is generally getting down onto the ground, takes me longer, as I have to more think about how I am positioning my leg.i assume this will probably be easier as the muscle strength comes back.

When I am at my parents I get down to give our older Labrador a cuddle, as she can’t jump onto the couch anymore:) still feels awkward.

I am having a fair bit of trouble with my employer, I am going to make sure the hospital is aware of this, as I seem to be intimidated into coming back to work. It is very easy for them to want me back full time, but they haven’t had a hip replacement:) I did say “the misdiagnosis affected my recovery, the surgeon said if they got the injury within the first 2 weeks, could have most likely pinned hip” (apparently the socket was really good, but they said that after so long, they didn’t think the vein in the bone would survive. Also wouldn’t know for months, and most likely would have needed a THR anyway)

Physio said “6 month mark you will be really good, probably 18 months to fully heal” (not sure if I put this above). But yes @Mojo333 , for just under 3 months post surgery, I feel really good:)
 
Physio said “6 month mark you will be really good, probably 18 months to fully heal” (not sure if I put this above)
This definitely sounds right in my case...and I had times two!:chuckmarch:

Just had to be careful not to overstrain still healing muscles, ligaments, soft tissue especially those first 6 months.
I feel 95% perfect...unless I seriously overdo and will hit 18 month mark in about a month.

Don't let them guilt you into sabatoging your recovery by doing too much too soon.

Glad you are doing so well! Rock on!:egypdance:
 
Hi everyone just a little bit of a update!

I went to the Hospital today for a check up. Got some previously untold news:(

Xray last time picked up a fracture of the greater trochanter. I wasn’t made aware of this at the time. Orthopedic Dr said last time it was attached, this time it has moved upwards a little bit.

She got me to walk for her and hold her hands and balance one each leg. She said it is noticeable but doesn’t necessarily mean surgery. She said that because the adductor muscles hug that bone it will mean I will have the little waddle if it doesn’t reattach.

She did say totally up to me if I want surgery. She will speak to my surgeon about it. She said they can screw or pin it in. Also said that hopefully with physio, it should hopefully correct itself.

Also said it isn’t related to anything I have done. (I said I sleep on that side sometimes).

I am just hoping it comes good with physio as I can’t honestly handle another surgery. I assume it is a better environment for bone to grow as everything is still in place. (Unlike before, synovial fluid everywhere!)

She asked me what I felt like I could do for work. I said “physio recommended 4 hrs/day 3x a week". She was happy with that. Did say I shouldn’t climb ladders and said I would be fine but I said I didn’t want to. And ATM I can’t squat to retrieve anything.

I feel a little bummed out, but hopefully it fixes itself:)
 
I don't know what all that means but I'm sorry you have a hiccup in this recovery...something to worry about.
You could always tag Josephine for her insight.
Please do be careful still...I do hope it heals well.
Don't stress it by squatting down...
Will need praying it gets better very soon!!
 
Thanks @Mojo333

@Josephine can you give any insight into a “greater trochanter” fracture?

Hospital orthopedic doctor didn’t seem too concerned, from what I can gather from her, doesn’t seem like so much of a weight bearing part. She said she will let the surgeon know but they will leave it and see if bone grows and it heals. Apparently because the muscles run through it. At the moment they are not supporting the hip properly.

In regards to returning to work my workplace is being less than considerate.

She still said work is fine although with some restrictions. I am now extra careful with this development though, as I said above she said it isn’t anything I have done during recovery that has caused it apparently.

Any info appreciated:)
 
Well, a fracture of the greater trochanter can be a minor issue, an intermediate issue or a major issue. It all depends upon the degree, nature and position of the break. Can you get me a copy of the most recent xray? That's the only way I can advise you with any degree of certainty.
 
@Josephine ,

Yep have to grab a image or two for physio anyhow. So when I have a copy I’ll let you know :)

Apart from that, feeling pretty good! I did read online the fracture can happen after surgery. The surgeon is one of the experts in the field of lower limb orthopedics. GP, other hospital patients, etc., said he is the one they would go to so he should know what he is doing!

I was just told not to squat at the moment which is annoying because I instinctively did it this morning:(

Work is fine with the restrictions. Dr even said I was fine to climb ladders etc., but I said at the moment I would prefer not to. With the tilt on that side of the body, a little scared I would lost balance.

I am going to ring the hospital tomorrow and get the Dr to ring me back as I forgot to ask about increasing hours etc.

Physio was really good, told me I can ring up with any questions. So I did Friday. He said “Yes the fractures do heal but you need a good amount of pressure for bone growth. But I would recommend getting a xray in a month and see if it has healed”. Requested a copy of the xray showing the fracture so he can see where it is and how to structure exercises.

Dr did say in cases were it doesn’t heal, I could have surgery with a screw to keep it in position. Did say it would be my call, not necessarily needed. Just I would have a waddling gait. Got me to walk back and forth and hold both her hands and balance on each leg. She said “yes it is noticeable!”

I was most annoyed the hospital didn’t advise me last time I had a fracture. The orthopedic Dr said “your xray came back fine, no problems” if I had known, physio could have kept a close eye on it.

Weird because, I don’t feel a “click” like I did with the femoral neck fracture. Leg moves perfectly fine. Dr did say it can cause some problems with adduction.

But I will let you know more after I speak to the Dr and get the xray:) just praying it heals :)

Thanks for the reply!
 
I did read online the fracture can happen after surgery.
Oh it CAN happen but the point is, it shouldn't!
so he should know what he is doing!
Really?
The orthopedic Dr said “your xray came back fine, no problems”
So all evidence to the contrary! Obviously he never noticed the fracture. And this is the surgeon your GP said should "know what he is doing"?
He (physio) said “Yes the fractures do heal but you need a good amount of pressure for bone growth. But I would recommend getting a xray in a month and see if it has healed”. Dr did say in cases were it doesn’t heal, I could have surgery with a screw to keep it in position.
In my experience that PT doesn't know what he is talking about! Although it does very much depend upon where the fracture is, of course. Most of these fractures, in my experience, DO require fixation unless they are just a very small fracture, which is unlikely, and 'a screw' is not going to hold it. Remember, the muscle group that is attached to the GT, is pretty big and will prevent the fracture from closing up. If that happens, it won't heal no matter what! Soon as you get me one of those xrays, I shall be able to answer this in a lot more detail.
Just I would have a waddling gait.
That's if you have it fixed, yes? I would have said that if you don't get it fixed you'd have a wobbling gait!
 
Back
Top Bottom