THR Had THR surgery at 31<

@Josephine

Surgeon didn’t look at the X-ray, wasent even there when I had the 6 week post op. They do have other surgeons though.

I sent you a email with the image and other info:)
 
Dear @guitarpunk (Kane) - I thought I would take a moment to chime in on your thread. I had a left THR due to OA on May 2, 2018. I went to PT for 12 weeks (faithfully doing all the exercises they gave me at home every day). My limp (gait) was continuously getting worse as time went on and I was having quite a bit of pain. A new symptom appeared after one of my PT sessions, it was the popping sensation when I moved my leg up and down (bent knee), my husband was able to feel it.

I happened to have a pre-op appointment with my OS the following day (for the upcoming right THR). My husband and I both expressed our great concern with taking my right leg out of commission while I was struggling so with my left leg. Another xray was done at that time and lo and behold, my surgeon told us that I have a GT fracture (apparently he missed it at the time of the LTHR). After discussing my options, we requested that the fracture be repaired since I was already at week 12 of recovery with no sign of healing.

I underwent the repair surgery within a few days and have been recovering from that (I am currently at week 10, NO PT). The hardware that was installed with that surgery has been very irritating to me and I have a lot of difficulty going up hill or up stairs leading with my left leg. We, together with the OS, have agreed to schedule the removal of that cerclage claw and wire mid-December (as long as the fracture has healed). In the meantime, I am having my right THR November 5, 2018. I really struggled with this decision because of these complications (I also had an infection after the fracture fix but that's for another day) but my right hip is in a pretty bad state and not getting any better.

I know there are others on here who have experienced GT fractures but from what I can tell, they were discovered at the time of the replacement. As someone who followed the surgeon's recovery instructions to a T, I can share that I was in tears MANY times wondering what on Earth I was doing wrong, absolutely certain I was the one at fault. I know that every case is different and your youth is certainly a benefit for you. Hope I haven't over-shared too much, just wanted you to know that there's another "delayed notice of fracture" hippy out here!

Kim
 
Last edited:
@NanaKP

Thank you so much for the reply!

I checked the post op x ray, it looks normal to me.

Like I said, the surgeon is regarded as one of the best in the state, x ray report said no surgical complications.

I am hoping it heals!

The thing I can’t get my head around, is that even with the fracture, my walking has gotten “straighter” so go figure on that!
 
Hey, @guitarpunk
Just catching up and realized you have some more drama to deal with.
I really hope this heals up well...you sound like you are doing So well!
Sending good mojo your way!:fingersx:
 
Last edited:
Here are your xrays

[Bonesmart.org] Had THR surgery  at 31<


So you can see the greater trochanter fragment is widely separated from the bone (yellow Arrow in AP View)
But you also have a separated fragment (turquoise arrow in AP view)

For the GT fragment, this is NEVER going to heal. It's far too far away from the bone and the muscle attached to it is pulling it away.
The lesser trochanter is similarly separated and will also never heal. They have to be fixed with a claw plate (see below) and wiring. Left alone, neither is ever going to become good.

[Bonesmart.org] Had THR surgery  at 31<
 
@Josephine

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to see what the hospital says. To be honest, it doesn’t worry me that much. Just my luck though:(
 
@Mojo333

Yes I am doing well! Considering:)

I did 4 hours work today, just receiving orders and stuff. Stood for 4 hours, was absolutely stuffed at the end. Because I have the tight hamstring, (or bakers cyst I think it possibly is) in my good leg, I sort of have to “push” my knee back. Will get physio to have another squiz tomorrow, wasent so bad, but noticed it today when I had to stand for 4 hours. Feels to me that it could be a cyst or inflammation behind the knee.

I finished work and then went grocery shopping. Had a basket and got a few things, ended up being very tilted when I got to the car!
Work wants me back to 38 hrs, but I am waiting to hear from the hospital, I will let them be a judge.


Hospital rang me back, and the dr did say that I can increase my hours to how I feel comfortable. She is going to get the dr that saw me on Friday to give me a call back. (This was her resident dr).

Work was fine with that arrangement. They are going to try me 4 days, x 4 hrs and then a normal day (7.5) Dr did say that they have me down for a x ray in 3 months, but a note to show the surgeon my xr’s. Dr did say if I get worse, ofcoarse I can go back sooner and they will see me.

Honestly, if it needs surgery, I wanna tackle it next year! (If I can be bothered undergoing it again). It doesn’t concern me that much. I do think I will be doing a case against the builder. It is “no win, no fee” so I don’t have anything to be worried about.

Just my luck though, following surgery:)
 
Mojo333, Josephine

I just thought I would update you again:)

I attended physio armed with my post and pre-op xrays. He agreed, wasn’t fractured pre surgery. Looking at the post op xray, he said it looks fractured there. It is fractured but was still attached. I’m sure the CT scan would have picked up any fractures as they went 360 deg around the hip joint.

He said that it could have happened during surgery. “You saw how hard they hammer it in” (watched a video of the same surgery on YouTube). He suggested I follow up with the hospital on what the best course of action is. (If I leave it for the moment, will it be ok? etc).

Agreed with what you said Josephine. “That bone isn’t going to attach” .

Told me to keep going with exercises, said I am getting straighter but without having the surgery on those fractures, walking will never be as straight as before my injury. Said I will reach a plateau. Did say I am doing incredibly well considering I have a GT fracture.

The fact that the drs didn’t tell me I had the fracture was the most concerning, they may have thought I knew.

PT also had a good look at my knee, said I do have a bit of fluid around it. Gave me some Tubigrip. They do quite a good job at that physio place!
 
Honestly, if it needs surgery, I wanna tackle it next year! (If I can be bothered undergoing it again)
Oh @guitarpunk
Please Push for a fix.
I know you must be weary of recovery...but you deserve to get this where you can get back to life.
Josephine has decades of experience...so I'm sure her definitive observations must resonate with you.
I will be thinking of you...
 
@Mojo333

Yes, of course it resonates with me!

Just annoyed no one told me I had the fracture. My physio has my DVD from hospital, so I might see if he can get me my post op x ray (otherwise I will have to pay for it). I have a film of it, but would be good to get a digital copy so I could upload it here:)

Just honestly surgery and recovery was long and hard, finally getting some normality back to life. Hospital will ring me in the morning about back to work etc.
 
I know...and I can only imagine how you feel.
I hope I didn't come off as sounding like I was asking you if you were aware of the gravity of the situation...
Especially when you are trying to keep your head about you and not make things worse...
Just feel so badly about you having to deal with this.
You have already been through so much and I am sure you are frustrated to no end.
And more surgery:blackcloud:
But if it has to happen in order to get well...
I am sending all the good mojo and Sympathy I can muster.
Please keep the faith!
 
@Mojo333

Totally agree! And no I don’t take offence :)

Yeah just even since the 25th of April, it’s been a downhill fall.

I mean I’ll be honest, I wasn't the fittest person ever but I did a lot of activity at work.
Actually my hip wasn’t that bad at work Tuesday, more the right knee. Like I said, Dr had a look in April and physio had a really good look today. Said there is crepitus in the joint, and a bit of fluid which means it is inflammation. It has gotten worse in the last few weeks. He said most likely muscular as it is tender around the back.

He did give me Tubigrip and honestly that makes it feel so much better! I would ordinarily take some anti inflammatory tablets but I only have one kidney, and it is not recommended.

Gave me some exercises to do. I feel work was keeping it at bay, just gotten worse when I was more inactive. Again, think it has all gotten worse since I have been a bit of a couch potato lately!

The hip still feels pretty good! Worst part is getting down to the ground and up is a bit awkward. More because now I know I have to be a little bit more careful about how I move.

I am excited to be back at work though, only so much Netflix and PS4 and YouTube I can do, especially after nearly 6 months!

I am actually watching the series “Bodyline” about England and Australia cricket series in the 1930’s which used a controversial tactic against our Don Bradman (greatest cricketer ever). You probably wouldn’t know much about it, but English and us Aussies know about it:)
 
He agreed, wasn’t fractured pre surgery. Looking at the post op xray, he said it looks fractured there. He said that it could have happened during surgery.
Well that man's a genius!
It is fractured but was still attached.
It's only attached to the muscle, not to the bone! BIG difference!
Told me to keep going with exercises,
I disagree. Totally disagree.
The fact that the drs didn’t tell me I had the fracture was the most concerning, they may have thought I knew.
No, they knew you didn't know. How could you?
would be good to get a digital copy so I could upload it here
guitarpunk, you already have your xrays posted here! 7 posts above, post #65
 
Those xrays looked scary. I must admit I didn't look at mine closely enough - I took the Registrar's word for it.. Hope the issues get resolved for you.

@guitarpunk Just as an aside - "Bodyline" was really worth watching and I agree about Bradman.. if you ever get the chance to go to a match involving the West Indies v Australia/UK etc definitely do so. The atmosphere is electric. I had so much fun last time I went my husband accused me of not watching the cricket at all. Not strictly true but it was a brilliant day out!
 
@Josephine

Yes you bring up some decent points!

What I meant was a digital copy of the first pre surgery x ray. It looks like it was fractured but was still attached, but could clearly see the line, indicating the break.

Agree, the hospital never told me about the GT fracture. The first post op appt, they never showed me the xrays, which I will bring up when the Dr rings me back about work.

Mum joked and said “I think physio’s maybe know a little more than the average Dr, especially the normal GP you were seeing that refused to send you for a xray”

That GP even said “at university you learn very little about orthopedics” couldn’t even tell me how long after surgery I could drive.

@SurreyGirl Yes Bradman was the best batsman ever. I think our Steve Smith is well on the way to being in the same league. Yes, have never seen cricket live, but did meet our Ian Healy a couple of years ago, he was our wicket keeper in the late 80’s and early 90’s :)
 
What I meant was a digital copy of the first pre surgery x ray.
Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion.
It looks like it was fractured but was still attached, but could clearly see the line, indicating the break.
I think what you are referring to is an undisplaced fracture like this

[Bonesmart.org] Had THR surgery  at 31<
 
@Josephine

Yep my fracture following surgery looks similar to that. Had to be fractured during, otherwise I am sure the CT scan 2 days pre surgery would have picked up the fracture. More detailed view than a x ray. If I can take a half decent photo of my x ray film I will upload it, did look a little like the LT joint lost a bone fragment as well.
 
Oh that's a fracture okay but it's also impacted which means the two parts of the bone are rammed together so it's misleading. Actually misleading to the point that some (less experienced) surgeons might be misled into thinking it will be an easy fix. But nothing could be further from the truth because the femoral head is actually loose and more than a little mobile and any and all attempts to put the guidewire through the bone will result in it being displaced. This, of course, results in a disturbance of the blood supply to the femoral head and the dreaded avascular necrosis.

<end of lecture> !!
 
Thinking about you and wondering how you were doing considering....
I'm sure digesting all this information is stressful!
Wishing you comfort and a restful weekend!
 
What a journey. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this.
Thanks for continuing to share your story. I'll be following as you move forward.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend :)
@guitarpunk
 
Back
Top Bottom