THR Had THR surgery at 31<

Was funny was changing a section around at work, only comfortable way to work was to lay on the ground, one of the girls walks over “kane, you ok down there?” And I go “yeah this is the only comfortable position I can find to do this task!”
:)
Laying down was probably the smart thing but the getting up can be a trick I'm guessing!:unsure:

We'll be looking for your update next week...keep the faith!
 
Mojo,

Absolutely,

I can lay on that side of the body, just obviously still a bit sore, although even my good side now gets sore in bed:(
 
Yep most likely, I remember I was taking ibuprofen once at work and the pharmacist saw, and said “that’s the same class drug as voltaren!” And I asked why I couldn’t take it. She said “it is very hard on the kidney, so if your function is fine it’s not a problem, but still isn’t recommended. (I do have the blood tests, function is perfect) although other gp I was seeing said anti inflammatory’s apparently interact with my ramipril (ACE inhibitor for blood pressure).

So in essence, best to stay away from those medications:) yeah will have a look at the list and have a chat with my dr. I don’t really know where we can go from paracetamol/codeine other drugs I’m assuming would be narcotic drugs, which of coarse make you sleepy:) but yep will have a squiz at the list now:)
 
Have you heard of or checked out Arnica? I switched over to that as soon as I finished my blood thinner with the permission of my Dr.
 
Swamphiker,

No I haven’t tried arnica, I assumed it was “homeopathic” so doesn’t really work, in the terms of science.

I have got some Fisiocrem it is called contains arnica etc, in the form of a gel. Supposed to releave muscle tightness. Does give me better relief than voltaren gel, weird voltaren gel just does almost nothing for me, every time I have used it! (Different things over the years).

Pain in the right leg at the moment doesn’t seem as bad as it was, but it is still there. Like I said, a lot of fluid through the knee, you can feel it moving through it when you put your hand on it as you move.

Did read the article about the patch, that’s a controlled drug, so dr probably wouldn’t prescribe me that, but I will ask what my pain options are when I visit my GP hopefully can get it next week.
 
I take the arnica in the form of sublingual pellets. Creams and gels just don't do it for me. I'm a fan of Eastern and homeopathic medicine. Western medicine has its place though. I hope you can find some relief and comfort soon.
 
Booked in to see my GP about my my knee and about my hip complication.

I went back to physio today, he did the same tests as my last appointment. He can see that the knee is a little bit swollen and that it isn’t completly straight. Also said that he can feel feel the fluid move through the joint (which I can feel). He thinks general exercise should fix it all, but did suggest I check in with my GP which I am doing anyhow.

He obtained all of my x ray reports from the hospital, which I got a copy of. He did say that they noticed the GT fracture at the six week mark. (Which I was not told of!) so for my next appointment which is January, I can go in with some ammunition.

The CT scan he did say, with the impacted fracture, it can make the image a little bit cloudy so it may have covered the GT fracture, assuming it was there.

He said because the left leg is still not good, I am bearing more weight on my right, which is leading to the knee pain.

I have found some relief with Pandol Osteo. Physio got me on the leg press machine, and had me doing single leg and both leg presses. Felt really good!

He said compared to the last time I saw him (30 days), I have improved dramatically.

I did say I will bring all these issues up with the surgeon, when I go back to the hospital (or if I can’t see him, request a appt with him, to find the reason behind the GT fracture, but most importantly why I was not told by the normal orthopedic dr’s on my 6 week check up).

Apart from all of this, I am doing really well! Great to see the physio noticed progress.
 
:wave:
Baby steps lead to strides...
I'm glad you feel encouraged...
Hope your weekend is wonderful @guitarpunk :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @guitarpunk You have had the run around the mill, as I did. Having slipped up one step in my hpuse, it took almost three months before it was decided I had a slipped stem (from THR in December 2014), fractured femur, trocanter and acetabulum!

It sounds like you are doing well in general and seem to have a positive attitude which will help you progress.

Take care and best wishes for a full recovery.
 
Man, my heart goes out to you. What a crazy ride you’ve been on!! Seems like you’re coping really well.

Best,
A friend in California

PS. I hate our president too!!
 
:wave:Hope all is going well and you are getting some down time this weekend!
Hope your holidays will be peaceful and joyful!
:reindeerlights:
 
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies:) I haven’t checked in for a few weeks!

I went back to my GP who asked “how is your hip going?” I said “yeah not that great!” And showed him the reports from the hospital.

He said “when people break their hip, it is quite commen to also break the greater trochanter” he did have a look at the CT report and said they viewed the femer from different angles, if it was fractured, should have picked it up (same as Physio said)

he said “you will think it’s a conspiracy, but you also had disuse osteopenia, rare for someone of your age” I said about not moving much after the injury, and he said “yes, but when they say disuse, that isn’t what they mean, you are quite a active person, what they mean is if you are lying in bed not moving for years”

I showed him my knee, he had a look and said “it needs rest” gave me knee exercises as well, agreed with physio, taking extra weight due to the hip in the left leg. is hard for me to rest it, when I litreally stand for 8 hrs a day at work, do rest it a fair bit on weekends though.

Dr said to chat to the surgeon, as he is the expert and can give guidance on where to go from here. I think I will take my mum in to the next appointment, Incase she can think of some other questions possibly.

I am a little sore around the pelvis area on my operated side, even though I am lifting correctly, think I may have over did it once or twice. I am making sure not to do a deep squat and lift, although Physio said “even if you did, implant should not move, would take a car accident to dislodge it” physio is hospital, she also said they are that strong, even if I fell on the operated side, a bone would break before the implant would.


I am still a bit depressed at the moment.
In my mind I can’t “step” into the pool at my parents, my body just doesn’t want to do it, I can do it, but I feel I can’t trust my left leg for balance when I put my right leg down to the step (if that makes sense!). Again, mostly in my mind, and just balance, body does it fine.

Guy next to the business dad runs, has a Toyota 86 workshop, and has a race car, we went to Queensland raceway, they had a “sponsorship day” so we were invited and I went in the race car at up to 185kmh on the back straight, Also went in the other guys road car, which was a 86 with a supercharger, driver was telling me about his partner having a hip replacement at 32. We were having a full on conversation whilst we were screaming around the track! That was there most fun I have had since my accident.


Apart from that, I am emotionally just hanging on at the moment, it has been a **** 6 months, and seems to be getting a little worse, not better:( Christmas is around the corner, so I am looking forward to that!
 
you will think it’s a conspiracy, but you also had disuse osteopenia
:what:

Sorry you are blue...glad they are seeing about your knee though.
Please do try to make sure to eat healthy while you are dealing with this.
Thinking about bone health...
Don't drink soda.
Think Calcium and Vitamin D rich food.
Do you like sardines? Great for you as you eat the bones.
Broccoli also good.
Of course burping broccoli and sardines:eeeuw:
Do get some sunshine...best source of vitamin D.

I do so want you to feel better.
I do love Christmastime !
:santa sleigh:
 
Yeah I do love Christmas time:)

Knee makes sense, isn’t as painful on weekends! I have been using a brace most days whilst at work. Some days it isn’t as painful as others, depends what I am doing.

I am going to get on my exercise bike tonight, and see how I go on that, good for cardio and the knee etc. l am getting better; walking naturally straighter, just from work though. Although by the end of the day, I do seem to lean over to one side:)

What I meant with the “conspiracy” as my GP put it; is that the GT was probably weakened, if not fractured during the fall. I know for a fact my lesser trochanter was fractured before surgery. The ER doctor at The private hospital I went to, pointed out what the surgeon said was a “old injury” and she pointed to the LT, and said “have you fallen on that hip before? The surgeon said their is all calcified bone” Mum and I said “how old of a injury are you talking?” And she said “at least six months”
I said “top of my head I can’t think of anytime within the last few years that I have fallen on that hip”

My GP seems to think I may have osteoporosis, hence the bone density test. But he has referred me to a endochronologist (at the bone clinic) at the same hospital I was admitted to, Nurse that saw me in hospital said if I go there, the govt will pay for the test:) (I do love our health system!)

It all has got me a little bit down:( but all understandable, it has been quite a ride this last 6 months:)

Yes I am taking my Vitamin D tablets everyday, since my test was low, measurement should have been 60, mine was 36, in whatever measurement they test it in.

I had a few swims on the weekend. Is great for the Hip and Knee:)
 
Hi @guitarpunk . I am looking at getting back to swimming. Did you start off slow and build up. I want to do this carefully but think it would help me strengthen lazy muscles...

Any advice gratefully received. We both have 5 month anniversaries coming up!

Ps I swear by Vitamin D. Started taking it three years ago during the winter months and it really helped mood. Thought that was a myth until I tried it. Merry Christmas!
 
:merry christmas: @guitarpunk !

Hoping you are doing better!
:reindeerlights:
 
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update you all on my progress:yes:

I attended physio a week ago, Physio said I am walking extremely well given I have the GT and LT fractures in the operated (left) leg.

He said “wow, you are so much straighter and you are not side to side like you where!”

He asked if I had been doing the exercises, I said “honestly I haven’t done a lot of them” He did say that just my movements at work will be making helping me a lot though.

He put me on the leg press machine, and said he could see a huge difference in the strength of both my legs, compared to my December visit.

I said how I went to my GP about my knee fluid and clicking, and that he was not overly concerned, I said he gave me some exercises, and suggested I do them.

I did say, for the most part I can now get up off a couch or a chair without using my hands about 90% of the time.

I did say that the fluid on my knee is the most annoying thing I have, as it gets super painful, especially when I am on my feet all day at work:) physio thinks it is the “tracking” of the knee cap, with Chondromalacia (softening of the underside of the knee cap, with inflammation and crepitus) he said “if your dr isn’t too concerned, I would just be doing exercises” he gave me a bunch for operated hip, and the knee.

I do have to see my GP this month, he sent me for a routine blood test, and was also checking my thyroid function. He did say my post surgery blood test, about a week after my operation, I came back as slightly anaemic. Did say “you did have major surgery, so I’m not worried about the level” is checking all that again in this blood test.

I also got a referral for the hospital I was admitted to, as the dr from the bone clinic wanted to see me, to run the bone density test.

Mum also said today, I should ask my dr about something for the fluid on my knee, she said you can get tablets for fluid retention, so when I go back, I will ask. As I said, the fluid makes the joint really “tight” feeling, and is painful:(

I can feel the GT fracture in my leg move around, during the occasional movements at work, or if I have been in the car, bed or couch for hours. It gets really clicky for a few minutes.

I thought I was back at the hospital this month for my 6 month check up, I am thinking it will be next month now, as I haven’t received the letter with my appt time.

Hip is generally pain free at work, mainly the fluid on the knee in my right leg, causing me the most drama:) if I have to kneel, gets painful...physio thinks if I get on the exercise bike and do all of the other exercises, it should respond well:)

All in all, I am feeling quite good at the moment, probably the best I have felt post surgery:) still a little blue, but doing ok:)
 
@guitarpunk Sounds like you've made some major progress - well done! For some of us this recovery seems endless. Just take it step by step. You're getting there!
 
At almost 6 months post op you have some healing and time to go until you're fully recovered.
Wish your knee wasn't bothering you so.
I hope you find some relief for that. Aside from that, you're doing well!
Keep it up and enjoy the weekend!
@guitarpunk
 
Back
Top Bottom