THR Had THR surgery at 31<

Hi @guitarpunk I hope you're having a good day!
Just a few things to consider -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

"Bridges" -
Bridges are a core stability exercise that people with spine issues use. They put a great amount of pressure on the hip joint. The exact area that has just sustained trauma to the soft tissue and muscle.
Please consider avoiding them. I'd hate to see you injure yourself any further.

You're tiring easily because you're very early into recovery. Our energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. Make your best effort to get adequate sleep and rest, our body does it's best healing while we're asleep.

Lastly - An article on a Phased Return to Work to consider as a guideline if you're able -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/

A great weekend to you as you continue healing.
 
Hi @Layla ,

Thanks for the reply, yes I did think of that Issue with the bridge exercise, as I had only read about that yesterday. I also did say that I had read “the hips don’t need a lot of exercise to get better” he did agree! I think he is more worried about the strength, as my job is quite physically demanding. I did say I was only doing limited bridging as I was worried about dislocation. He grabbed a leg and hip, and showed me how you have to bend and twist the leg for it to come out of the socket, which made me feel a bit better, he also said a lot of surgeons don’t even warn about it these days, as statistically it is only something like 1%.

One thing I forgot to put in the other post, was he did say that if I just continue walking, my gait will fix itself naturally. Like I said “little burst without the crutch, and just try to walk straight” he did see I am not doing the left to right due to pain, just a little bit due to the tiny bit of instability.

And yes I will read the article on the “phased” return to work. I went In Yesterday, they asked when I would be back, I basically said “they keep telling me 6 weeks, but I won’t know until I see the surgeon” . The letter the hospital gave me, did say “at least 4 weeks off work, with a gradual return to full duties by 6 months time”.

I agree with the tiredness, my dr told me to eat a “fair bit of meat” since I am recovering.

At the moment, I am spending a bit of time on the couch with Netflix. I am staying nice and comfortable, with water by my side. I am still a tiny bit worried about blood clots, even though I am on aspirin. So I am wearing my stockings to bed just at night, dr did say I don’t need to wear them anymore though:)

I am amazed how quickly I am healing. Things I could not do last week, now I can achieve easily. Leg is most sore, during the side leg raise, which he said is understandable, as that is the area with the most muscle damage. The straight leg raise, I can get it to a 90 Deg angle with only a little amount of pain (I should throttle back on that one though:) )
 
He wants me to concentrate on the “bridge” as that will tighten up all my glutes, he said those aid in stability when walking
As Layla relayed...bad exercise for recovery.:skep:
Leg is most sore, during the side leg raise, which he said is understandable, as that is the area with the most muscle damage. The straight leg raise, I can get it to a 90 Deg angle with only a little amount of pain (I should throttle back on that one though:) )
Too early for injured muscles to be stressed to perform in my opinion.

Please be careful. A PT looks at all problems being handled by PT.
That's what they do...so what would they tell you to do but more exercise.
It's very confusing as we want to do what the professionals tell us to do...but time and again we have seen less is more and too muck too soon causes chronic problems.
Please do take it easy.
Bet your PT had not had hip replacement.
 
@Mojo333 ,

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking the same thing. Although I have had those sore muscles over the hip bone area since the 25th of April, so I do in a way want that pain gone.

But yeah, did what he had suggested little bursts unaided, leg still feels heavy, but walks quite good. Just trying to straighten my walk, so I don’t waddle.

Some very good advice and opinions on this site, so glad I joined. Yes the PT is only probably about my age, even he said “wow people with hip replacements, are usually a lot older than you!” I did forget to tell my GP that one of the surgeons thought I had done a previous injury to that hip bone, said their was all these pieces of calcified loose bone, thinks that was at least 6 months plus older than the fracture. (They knew the date of my injury).
 
Just listen to your body...and do what you feel comfortable doing.
I will borrow some great information shared with another member by our forum advisor sharonslp.
Tightness is a normal after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year OR MORE. Irregardless of age....If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks.
At six weeks or so, we are past the initial surgical incision healing, and generally are starting to feel reasonable again. People are itching to get back to their lives....to get on with their lives. To be active. And a lot of us are so driven to be active again, that we promptly overdo it as soon as we start to resume some activities. Once we can walk a quarter of a mile without pain, we figure we're good for a mile or 2. And a week later, why not 3 or 4? We get on a cycle...stationary or otherwise....and instead of ten minutes, we do an hour.

I'm getting tight hip muscles just thinking about it.

So really, this isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Or you can consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how your body reacts to it. Your body is in charge of healing, not your mind. You can't will yourself to heal faster. But you can stay out of your own way to let the healing happen.

You've got this!:ok:
 
@Mojo333

Thanks for the reply, everyone on here is fantastic at keeping me feeling grounded.

I never actually thought of that, I assumed the muscles were tight because of the femer being in a normal position again. I definently noticed post surgery, that their was no saggy muscle atrophy on the left side of the leg, their was on the other side, but not that side, I also thought that the stem implant probably made that side more “tight” if that makes sense. But like I said when I got home the day after surgery, noticed that side was as stiff as a rock, very rigid with no real “give” compared to the inner thigh side.

Ironically, I did not get a lot of bruising on that side. I assume like the glute muscles in my bum, all those muscles will help me walk properly with no limp.
 
Hi again @guitarpunk
I knew you mentioned you read the Big Tip. I was just trying to beat you over the head with it :wink: :heehee:
I don't want to see you overdo it, hurt yourself, delay your progress.

Protein is very important for healing and there are many ways to add it aside from the obvious, meat.
Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

And remember, if anything hurts, STOP. Don't power through. Pain is the body asking for change.
Another thing to consider, if you sustained these same type of injuries from a car accident, would you be exercising in an effort to heal all? I doubt it....

I hope you have a peaceful, relaxing weekend!
 
I assume like the glute muscles in my bum, all those muscles will help me walk properly with no limp.

They will...in time.
Let this thing get well...you'll be golden.
Hope tonight is a good night!
 
Thanks for the replies!

I feel better about the “click” I could feel. I was just in bed, and moved and felt a big “pop” noise! Now the bone is no longer clicking, I assume the muscle just moved over the bone, into the correct position.

I got up and made sure I still had movement in every way, and I did, so I have not damaged the hip joint;) and no it was not a dislocation movement.

I will search for some of the recipes, they look tasty:)
 
Hi @guitarpunk
Hey fellow Qlder (I’m on Gold Coast)!
I’m 3 days post op for right THR and on day one I gave myself a near heart attack after simply sliding my leg sideways an inch in bed and hearing/feeling a pop.
The nurses checked it out and heard some further pops and then the surgeon came and checked and said everything was fine and that can happen when things are still recovering.
Gave me a huge fright though!
 
@coastalme ,

Yes I did give myself a little bit of a fright! I knew I had not hurt anything though:)

Great to see some fellow Aussie’s on here:)
 
Hi everyone,

I am just typing a quick update:)

My hip is healing quite well, I am at the moment, doing the short burst without the crutch; trying to correct my slight “waddle”.

The PT did say when I lift one leg up, with hands against the wall, the pelvis tilts to the opposite side. He did say when I do it with the right leg down, it stays straight.

Still general hip instability, takes weight fine though.
General pain when walking (tightness and just general soreness) nothing I can’t handle though.

Was just wondering how long it will still be painful for?

The “click” is not so bad, i feel it is coming from my bottom, where you have the hollow area between the two main bones, the muscles in that area seem nowhere near as toned, as my right side, if I tense the left glute muscles that is the sensation I feel, the muscles going over the bone, which makes sense.

I am not really taking a lot for the pain, only paracetamol/codeine .
The muscles in the thigh, that are tight from surgery; I am just using an ice pack, although I did read that a frozen bag of peas works better, so when I go shopping I will get some of them:)

Apart from that I am doing well, I went over a mates place who works next door in the supermarket, to where I work. I ended up having a few beers and watching the football (AFL). Ended up staying that night, was really good got me out of the house, and more importantly out of my head!

Hope everyone on here has a great week:)
 
Glad you were able to get out some.
This is definitely a process.
Hope today is a good day!:SUNsmile:
 
Getting out is great for our mental health.
Makes you feel like you're part of the world again too.
Happy to hear you're doing so well.
I hope you have a nice rest of the week!
@guitarpunk
 
Hope you are taking it easy and being a "patient" patient.
They did alot of moving things to the side to get that hip impact situated...so you can imagine there is soft tissue, muscle, tendon, ligament, nerve healing going on.
Hope you have it all on ice!

Have a good weekend...it will all be worth it.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 !

Yes I am being patient, although I want it to hurry up a little bit:) I went back to physio today, not on any crutches.

The physio was super impressed, because how I am walking compared to last week, is amazing. He did suggest, still using one crutch around home to clean up my gait. He asked me “how do you feel when you walk?” And I said “well it feels like I am leaning really far left onto my left leg, instead of walking in a straight movement”

He said the crutch will help me keep my balance, and retrain my brain. He did look at my muscles, especially my glutes, did say their is a fair amount of muscle wastage, so that is why it is sore when I walk; basically said you are working the muscles harder than they are used to. He did say with a few exercises, I should be walking fine next week:)

I got one of those “gentle flexifix opsite” dressings, the pharmacist I work with said that is the best thing, it will spread to skin out and prevent scar tissue from forming. It feels a little like bubble wrap.

Apart from that, I am feeling really good:) depression has gotten better, as I am able to move around a lot more. I am still quite self conscious when out and about without crutches. As people don’t know I have had a hip replacement, and may think I am just weird:)

I am eating a lot of protein at the moment, also don’t feel as tired as I did. I am still taking it easy, most of the day on the couch with my legs up, playing PlayStation 4, or watching Netflix.

I just can’t believe how quickly I am progressing, in a upwards direction:)
 
Nice update!
Wondering if your PT cautioned you to use an assistive device until you're no longer limping?
Also try heel-toe walking with the cane / crutch. Heel hits the ground first, followed by toes. Try it, it really helps with a limp.

Protein is so important for healing, it's great that you're making a conscious effort to incorporate it into your diet. Encouraging that your mood has improved also. Things are looking up!
@guitarpunk
 
Kane -

Thanks for posting your story, I'm just trolling through these older posts looking for someone in their early 30's (I'm 32). I don't have anything constructive to add in terms of your recovery, but listen to your solicitor friend - I'm in the US, but it sounds from your comments like Australian premises liability law is probably similar. I do the defense side of things, so I'm not usually one to recommend legal action (although it keeps me employed), but it sounds like it's at least worth getting a consultation.

Happy to hear your recovery seems to be going well, looking forward to any updates you have.

Joe
 
Hi @Layla , @Mojo333 and @JoeKnows

Thanks, for all the comments! Sorry I have been a little missing in action:)

Yes my Physio did caution on not using the assistance device (one crutch). He said If I cover a fair bit of distance to still use it.

I had my 6 week follow up in the hospital on Friday. (Is technically actually 5 weeks!).
Drove into Brisbane to the hospital, was not very sore when I got out of the car which was good.

Got there at 9:30 am was not seen until after 12pm, this is because it is a public hospital.

The X-ray was perfectly fine the orthopedic dr said. Asked me how I was going and how I did the injury. I showed him how I walk (with the tilted hip/pelvis). He said what the physio said, it will correct itself when the muscle strength comes back. Looked at my wound, and said “yep that’s fine, you can go swimming with that”

They said they will see me in another 6 weeks, where they will assess me for work. I then went in and told Work, they were actually really good about it all, I showed them how it takes weight fine, just needs the muscle strength to come back.

Physio recommended a exercise bike, which I picked up. This is really good, as I can exercise with absolutely zero pain:) I don’t have a lot of pain anyhow at the moment, if I fully lean over on the left hip, it does get sore on the outside, physio said this is all to do with the glute muscles not stabilizing my leg, which is why I have the little side limp.

The dr did say some people don’t walk 100% like they did before, this scares me a little, I hope I am the exception. The good thing about the hospital was I saw the same x ray lady and the same nurse in the fracture clinic and they both said “wow! Look at you! You are walking so well!”

Physio has told me to walk around the house with the crutch, and to keep up with the exercises. I was a little complacent until I had seen the hospital again. But the physio said I am improving well, did say the thing working against me, is that it took so long until I had the surgery, he said because of that my muscles have had a lot more muscle wastage.

I hopped in Mum and dads pool (is the beginning of spring here). Pool was quite cold, but I just went walking in it, felt really good compared to on land:)

And yes joe, I am looking into legal action against the builder. I was trying to just claim on the home owners liability insurance, but the solicitor said “I would go for the builder”. I do have 3 years to lodge a case, they are no-win,no fee, but he said “we have to be sure we would have a good chance at winning” is a little bit annoying that their are some sports etc I would be recommended against doing.

I will keep you guys updated on my progress, and welcome any feedback:)

Thanks,

Kane
 
Back
Top Bottom